advertisement

Rice cookers

Never rinsed rice either. Boiling, for a good few mins, will get rid of any unlikely nasties anyway.
Try it, and see the difference rinsing makes. You will find that the grains are less likely to stick together. Except for glutinous rice, I like the grains separate. But each to their own. You do you.

I always do a 10 -15 minute pre soak, and then rinse the rice three times to get rid of the excess starch. The pre soak allows the rice to absorb a little water and soften slightly. Getting rid of the starch results in nice separate grains, but equally important, it reduces the amount of frothing during the cooking process. Less frothing means that there will be less starchy water coming out of the vent hole, so less mess to clean up. I've found that to work best...

I was merely questioning if you're taking the piss with your questions, or if you really wanted the obvious answers.
Not taking the piss (why would you think so on what is essentially a do you use a rice cooker?), as to obvious answers (i.e. your opinion) go ahead.

yes the number of small stones i have found in lentils is amazing - i have too many broken teeth to risk any more without checking
Where do you buy rice and lentils that are so contaminated? - I buy Tilda basmati in 5kg bags and nowhere is there any warning to look out for rat piss contamination or small stones.

Where do you buy rice and lentils that are so contaminated? - I buy Tilda basmati in 5kg bags and nowhere is there any warning to look out for rat piss contamination or small stones.

I suspect they'd send it over a gravity table, rat droppings come off the top and stones off the bottom. Ex farm rice wouldn't be clean enough.

I rinse rice to remove excess starch from milling and the occasional stray husk.

Lentils are quite different

Last edited:
Rice cookers are very useful if you eat rice regularly. Yes you can use a saucepan, yes you can use a microwave but give less than perfect rice, plus you need to keep an eye on it. This applies especially to rice porridge or congee. Makes it very simple. You can also use them to steam veggies and preserved meats.

We go through between 120-150 Kg of Thai fragrant rice a year in a 3 person household.

We rinse the rice in water a couple of times before cooking and then use the one thumb knuckle's of water, so between 15-20mm. It is dependent on the type of rice you eat. Sticky (glutinous) rice and sushi rice needs a little more. Basmati can be very dry so I put in a little more. We don't rinse during or after cooking. We don't like rice like mini rocks or al dente like the Italians sometimes cook it.

In the UK wheat is often stored in barns, and sometimes dried to an acceptable standard for some time in order to sell it in a wet season. Rats? You bet...

Lentils

"We won't beat around the bush: yes, those are really stones in your dried legumes, and you might even find twigs, dirts, and more in there. So what are all these things doing in your lentils (and beans!) in the first place?"

I suspect they'd send it over a gravity table, rat droppings come off the top and stones off the bottom. Ex farm rice wouldn't be clean enough.

High end systems optically inspect every grain, rejects are ejected with a jet of compressed air. Amazing technology!

advertisement

Back