advertisement

Retirement Destinations?

I can't quite understand the 60 year olds escaping to the country. Even a short distance from town creates problems if you are unable to drive for any reason. Social care support is more difficult to arrange in rural areas. We moved into town before we had any issues and it was a blessing during Heather's illness.

Totally agree, it’s nuts. My old place in the middle of the sticks was absolutely idyllic but there’s no way I’d want to live there once I’m getting on a bit, you need youth and energy on your side. I’m thinking a motorhome and clearing off to southern Spain / Portugal for the depths of winter might be a good plan.

The problem with bolt holes or holiday homes is they need maintenance and can be a worry . Also the insurance often demands inspection every 30 days which can be a real pain in lockdowns !!!
Very good point. The boss at one place where I worked bought a villa near Fayence in the South of France, his idea being to use it and then to rent it out for the rest of the time. He soon found that, if anything went wrong, he had to be the one to arrange fixing it, which often meant sudden, unexpected long drives from Zürich. He disposed of it.

My Credit Agricole insurance doesn’t require 30 day visits.
But I take your point about maintenance costs.

We arrived at that decision point 10 years ago. Ireland was too wet and gloomy for Mrs. Tones (Melbourne girl), Oz was too hot and horrible for me, so we stayed in Baselland where we were. Besides, we have essentially raised two Swiss girls - this is their home and they're happy here, one bossing a film studio, the other flying very large aeroplanes. Swiss healthcare isn't cheap (CHF250 each a month), but the pension covers that, and we live fairly simply.

we must look at our insurance coverage, we pay about CHF450 each per month with SWICA.

as it happens, we have decided the same as you and want to stay in CH. Today we had our first meeting with a financial planner at BKB to plan our retirement in CH, we are aiming to pack it in at age 60. So 7 years to go for me. We will soon see if that is a realistic possibility. i do hope so.

just noticed an earlier recommendation for Southwold, recently stayed for a week and the fairly ordinary house opposite us was on the market for £950000 so not cheap or ideal for retirement!

My priority for older age is a home with no stairs ( or a lift) and an accessible bathroom and kitchen. Also decent public health care services within short transit times. Caring for my 90-year old dad has made me appreciate that mobility is everything; an upstairs bedroom and a downstairs loo could take up much of your day when you are old.

I have my eye on a small, cheap town nearby; Coop, doctors, health centre, library, cafe, nice walks from the front door and most importantly; a good social mix of working people who are friendly and welcoming and actually talk to each other in the street and shops. Add in a community centre, two pubs, petrol station with mechanics, regular express bus service to the nearest city.

When you get older company, care and things to do are most important. Weather is not such a big deal. It's always 20C indoors and feeding British birds is great entertainment.

just noticed an earlier recommendation for Southwold, recently stayed for a week and the fairly ordinary house opposite us was on the market for £950000 so not cheap or ideal for retirement!
Southwold prices are nuts. However I have recently finished a 3 month contract near Harleston. That's, what, half an hour away? A nice little town, if lacking a decent supermarket. A pleasant 3 bedder was under £300k.

I’m 70. My house downstairs has a large lounge, a large dining kitchen, a sitting room and a small dining room and a downstairs WC. Upstairs we have three bedrooms and a bathroom. Me and the Mrs have thought long and hard and decided we are staying. If it comes to it we can convert the downstairs loo to a shower room and the sitting room into a bedroom and still have more room than an affordable bungalow would provide. In every other way it meets Wulbert’s requirements and ours.

I’m 70. My house downstairs has a large lounge, a large dining kitchen, a sitting room and a small dining room and a downstairs WC. Upstairs we have three bedrooms and a bathroom. Me and the Mrs have thought long and hard and decided we are staying. If it comes to it we can convert the downstairs loo to a shower room and the sitting room into a bedroom and still have more room than an affordable bungalow would provide. In every other way it meets Wulbert’s requirements and ours.
My folks are the same. A stairlift solves the problem, or there is space for a lift.

Southwold prices are nuts. However I have recently finished a 3 month contract near Harleston. That's, what, half an hour away? A nice little town, if lacking a decent supermarket. A pleasant 3 bedder was under £300k.

Anywhere in Norfolk is good value.

we must look at our insurance coverage, we pay about CHF450 each per month with SWICA.

as it happens, we have decided the same as you and want to stay in CH. Today we had our first meeting with a financial planner at BKB to plan our retirement in CH, we are aiming to pack it in at age 60. So 7 years to go for me. We will soon see if that is a realistic possibility. i do hope so.
That's with taking the maximum franchise of CHF2500. One difference is that I haven't packed it in! My hobby is running the world's least significant private patent attorney firm, and that gives me an income in addition to the pension and the AHV.

when i was considering what greek island to settle before retirement the main criteria was 1) no cruise sheeps 2) no foreign expat pensioners

it seems i did a good selection, at least greeks on australian and south african pensions seem to be a way better company, not very different from charming locals.

So where‘s that Anubis?
I‘ve been sailing around the greek islands a lot these last years, I have a few favorites, but I‘m not sure they would suit me to live at during winter….

My Credit Agricole insurance doesn’t require 30 day visits.
But I take your point about maintenance costs.
ours was 45 days but then we changed providers and now its 30 days so have to get someone to inspect it every 30 days to comply

advertisement

Back