advertisement

Retirement Destinations?

West coast BC is the best place in the world IMO, but maybe not ideal as a winter retirement retreat.

Living in Aberdeenshire is very nice, dry compared to the west coast (so midge-free), and generally an outdoors-focussed stress-free environment. I can’t imagine moving totally away from your roots on retirement, plus, my kids will still be mid and late teens, so upping sticks permanently is not possible. For a winter bolt-hole I’d go for Thailand or Malaysia. Nice and warm, food is great and living is fairly cheap (though getting more expensive). PS wife is Chinese-Malaysian

My retirement plan was to move abroad, Turkey and Sri Lanka were the two on the shortlist. Then cancer derailed my plans due to ongoing health care needs following successful treatment. Instead of moving abroad I recently moved from central Brighton, along the coast and now live close to a clifftop with sea views. Prior to covid, I was taking two 4 to 6-week trips to Turkey each year and plan for that to resume with a trip later in the year.

As others have suggested, fully understand how the health care system in the country of choice operates before moving.

In terms of cheap-ish and loads of sun, Latin America has some decent options - Belize, Mexico, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Uruguay and Argentina.

He would say 'I notice an increasing number of ne-er-do-wells, fly-by-nights, spivs, and grubby urchins in the streets of Frinton. Her Majesty's Navy must send the press gangs there'.

I am a French resident and so far Menton looks like the place to retire for me. If I did not have a residential permit, I'd stay put in UK in terms of paperwork and then do 3 months in UK, 3 months somewhere else in airbnb apartments. Repeat to coffin.

My retirement plan was to move abroad, Turkey and Sri Lanka were the two on the shortlist. Then cancer derailed my plans due to ongoing health care needs following successful treatment. Instead of moving abroad I recently moved from central Brighton, along the coast and now live close to a clifftop with sea views. Prior to covid, I was taking two 4 to 6-week trips to Turkey each year and plan for that to resume with a trip later in the year.

I am nearing retirement age and what you outlined I think is a fear a lot of us have in relation to hoping our health holds up well for the older years. I am delighted for you that the treatment was a success.

On your retirement plans Tenerife appeals to me because of the temperate climate. It would have to be the North as I couldn't cope with the holiday stuff in the South. But I would be of the view to rent a variety of places over a period of years and even if one floated the boat I would be inclined to do a long term rental to see if that is what one wants to do.
Ownership and moving lock stock and barrel could back fire for so many reasons already outlined in this thread.

I don't have an EU residential permit and my plan is like that suggested by richardg but with periods in South East Asia and probably Africa and South America as well as Europe. I can't get enthusiastic about the US though although I could happily live in NYC if I could afford it. Pre Covid I was trying my plan out with 2 months in Thailand and Cambodia so I'm looking to stay home until November so that other people can be test victims for the travel industry to use to sort itself out and then pick things up.

The MM2H scheme has been tightened, https://themalaysianreserve.com/202...ted-to-rise-but-stricter-rules-remain-a-bane/
Most countries have awkward rules for foreigners and property. Most expats in Thailand and Indonesia (Bali) are breaking them.

Interesting. Quite a jump. Plenty of retirees would find that minimum income too high.
Apartment ownership is OK in Thailand. Foreigners trying to own land is trying to get around the law and can end in tears although thousands do it...

The parents of my Argeninian colleague emigrated to Brazil for their retirement as the health care is significantly better.
I love Argentina but the big challenge would also be very high inflation and the for the ever changing rules on currency imports.

advertisement

Back