advertisement

Retirement Destinations?

Hmm, not sure that ours is that low - I'd have said 20%. Of course the whole thing is very complicated (far too complicated for my tiny brain, so I have someone do the sums for me and worry about the mysteries of Verrechnungssteuer, etc.)
I pay about 20-25% but I am a director owner of a company so I am able to avoid certain tax traps that employees cannot.

I had thought Switzerland was about the same but that VAT and corporation and capital gains taxes were the reasons to be there financially?

Salaries are higher
Quite markedly, we holidayed there in 2017, was fantastic, but wondered how people afford to live there, looked up wages and saw this type of thing:

2294-F225-9-D06-4874-AD1-B-7-D93-A15-AC2-AE.png

Around £55k for a factory worker.

As a salary yarstick, I think starting hourly wage at McDonalds is 22 euros per hour. Meaningless, as it is so expensive there for everything.

The only real benefit the Swiss seem to have over its neighbours is cheap holidays. We use it as a way to get to other places. Avoid stopping for the night. Or food. Or petrol We stopped in Genva for an ice cream 2 weeks ago on the way back from excellent value for money week in Northern Italy (La Spezia)! Pizzas were 9 euros pretty much everywhere and a bottle of table red about the same price.

I'd consider that area for retirement, the weather was very mild and breezy.

I have friends planning to head for Bali and others looking at Portugal, Any suggestions for places you can retire to with nice climate and cheap cost of living, but still reasonable broadband?

Haven’t read the entire thread but in case no one has already mentioned it Greece would be a good choice; either the mainland or one of the larger islands. Make sure you are not too far from a decent hospital.

Quite markedly, we holidayed there in 2017, was fantastic, but wondered how people afford to live there, looked up wages and saw this type of thing:

2294-F225-9-D06-4874-AD1-B-7-D93-A15-AC2-AE.png

Around £55k for a factory worker.
Personally I'd stretch the list a bit, in the sense that most labourers earn less than that, but managers usually earn more. CHF 9'547 (or rather more IMO) is what you would earn as, say, an engineer leading a team of 10 people. Actual managers (sales, production, quality, plant, HR) earn more than that, especially so if they are part of the management board.

Differences are significant depending on where you are. In Zurich you will earn more than elsewhere, but prices for houses are now completely crazy, this is due to the very high density of top-shot earners. For me, being a fiftysomething, it would be next to impossible to move there. Rents for a new two-bedroom start at CHF 3'000 a month. There are old flats of course, but for visiting you have to be in the queue at 6 in the morning.

Switzerland has a problem now with housing, average employees buying a house is more or less a phenomenon of the past. But why am I telling this to you Londoners.

my mate (we were students togther) software engineer (project manager) in finance, lives in Zug, pulls in about £175k a year.

just for comparison another mate (also students togther) is in a similar position as a networking/telecoms software engineering contractor here (next town up from us) and is earning about £120k year depending on whether he works all year.

The only real benefit the Swiss seem to have over its neighbours is cheap holidays.
I'd say there is a multitude of other advantages, but these aren't really relevant to the subject of this thread, which is retirement destinations, i.e. places in which you get more bang for your buck. I only brought up the subject because we thought about it, but decided to stay here. All very much horses for courses.

I'd say there is a multitude of other advantages, but these aren't really relevant to the subject of this thread, which is retirement destinations, i.e. places in which you get more bang for your buck. I only brought up the subject because we thought about it, but decided to stay here. All very much horses for courses.
It is relevant if you can afford to retire there!
You have nice weather too......

Well said. Agree 100%. This is the key to a long and healthy retirement, proximity to a good hospital.

Add places to visit and things to do, good hi fi and record shops, libraries and cultural institutions and it equals retirement in or near a big city. Never understood why folks well into their 70s will move out of towns to rural locations where an ambulance will take half an hour or more to arrive.

Edit: For all of the above reasons, and more, I can highly recommend NY City as a retirement destination. Cheaper than London, Paris or Zurich too, from what I hear. :D
Also don’t want to be more than about 10 minutes from a major hospital.

Agree 100%. This is the key, proximity to a good hospital.

Add places to visit and things to do, good hi fi and record shops, libraries and cultural institutions and it equals retirement in or near a big city.

Last September, relatively close proximity to emergency hospital services meant Mrs. Hook survived a very unusual form of heart attack. This reset our priorities for retirement, not to mention life in general, completely.

We both love the country, and for many years lived far from the city on acreage. We also enjoyed owning a cabin in northern Wisconsin. But even before the start of COVID, I was convinced those days were over. We can't imagine life right now without the amenities of the city (food delivery, easy access to services, etc.). Mrs. Hook still loves puttering in our garden, and I really don't now how we'll adapt to townhome or condo living, but we have no doubts that's what's next for us.

Well said. Agree 100%. This is the key to a long and healthy retirement, proximity to a good hospital.

Add places to visit and things to do, good hi fi and record shops, libraries and cultural institutions and it equals retirement in or near a big city. Never understood why folks well into their 70s will move out of towns to rural locations where an ambulance will take half an hour or more to arrive.

Edit: For all of the above reasons, and more, I can highly recommend NY City as a retirement destination. Cheaper than London, Paris or Zurich too, from what I hear. :D
Went to visit my son in NY two years ago.
Three day trip.
Two days too long.
I hated the place and the people.

Went to visit my son in NY two years ago.
Three day trip.
Two days too long.
I hated the place and the people.

We've been twice (yes we gave it a second chance), I agree awful place, massively narcissist people - terrible, we won't be back

I was hoping she's pop it before the anniversary so we didn't have to suffer the bloody trio.

The Aussies will tell you about her (the monarchy's) interference in political matter

I'm not sure NYC's cheaper, but it's a great place. We have a dear friend who lives there, just around the block from Lincoln Center. At age 96, he would not live anywhere else. He and his youngish girlfriend (a mere 81) still work part time at various volunteer jobs at the Met etc., and I'm sure that NYC (in addition to good genes) is one part of their longevity and generally sunny outlook on life.

advertisement

Back