advertisement

Retirement Destinations?

Will the NHS still be the NHS in 10-20 years ?

The NHS was in a dire condition in the late '90s until Nu-Labour revived it. It's been in decline since the Tories were re-elected. The pattern is pretty clear.

I think if the UK continues to elect Conservative governments the NHS will exist in name only within the next 10-20 years and for timely care you'll need to go private. I'm sure that's what the Tories are hoping for because they can see in the US that people will hand over their life savings if faced with the prospect of death.

Cape Town Nov to Mar only
We spend a month out there nearly every winter. There was a long period from the 90s up to maybe 8 years ago when you never saw that many tourists but latterly it’s been overrun with package holiday makers. Off again for a month this winter after a 2 year enforced interruption.

Off world.

My plan, too.

... meanwhile I've this ...odd recurrent dream, that I can play the piano ...

OffworldColonies_600px.jpg

We've lived abroad for roughly twenty years now. Brexit has definitely made retiring in Europe more complicated. Our old plan was, when we had enough of where we are, we'd return to Spain.
That needs a rethink post Brexit, although still may be a goer. The thought of returning to the UK does not fill me with much joy.

If your folks or grandparents were Irish you can retire to the EU and be entitled to certain benefits, healthcare and such, I think so anyway......

The places I’d love to settle in, and I mean properly settle in, would be challenging in some ways when compared to where I live now in the suffolk countryside.

Yorkshire Dales and Durham Dales: too many tourists when the weather is lovely, very difficult weather to live in when the tourists aren’t there.

Scottish Isles: ditto. Plus midges.

Our local GP surgery is excellent, we’ve some decent towns within half an hour and Ipswich or Colchester if we need big-town facilities. We don’t do London anymore so the abysmal A12 isn’t a concern. I love the Suffolk coast, but never visit Southwold… too many tourists/BMW X5s etc.

I’d love to go and live in Cape Town, I adore it for the scenery, people, wine and food. But.
Land grabbing is mentioned too frequently. Water and electricity supplies aren’t guaranteed, and I can’t imagine it’ll be easy to leave with the full amount of a house sale making its way back here. If I could have a mud hut in the West Coast National Park Marine Protected Area, I’d be happy to just die there.

That surprises me. I would have thought it would still be quite warm there during winter ? Is it just that it's 20deg C instead of scorchio ?
No, it can get very cold, wet and windy in the winter, and old Greek houses don't cope with any of that very well at all, believe me!

I have been in Crete many times between November and in February. Obviously if you live on the top of Mount Ida it's not the same as if you live on the coast, and I've always lived on the coast.

It was fine -- but dark early, and wet in the spring, and January and February are a bit depressing, like everywhere else in Europe I guess.

We spend a month out there nearly every winter. There was a long period from the 90s up to maybe 8 years ago when you never saw that many tourists but latterly it’s been overrun with package holiday makers. Off again for a month this winter after a 2 year enforced interruption.
Golfing friends from Hamburg do this every winter and I met them there a few times at Erinvale, Somerset West. I plan to go back too this winter.

advertisement

Back