advertisement

Record Store Day 2021

Can’t be RSD, where’s the Bowie double live album?!

Little catching my eye on first glance, really just the Charles Lloyd, Roland Kirk and the Fela Kuti. I’m sure there is more lurking in there, but that’s what is jumping out. Possibly Two Against Nature too, they incorrectly state it is the first vinyl issue. It isn’t, I’ve had and sold one! By saying that they also claim Roland Kirk plays three pianos. He was unbelievably talented, but how he’d get three in his mouth I’ve no idea.

Thanks for sharing

Not much jumping out for me at first glance either

The Clash release on closer inspection looks like part interview part tracks off Sandinista, not fussed about interview discs anymore

No doubt after a couple more scrolls through it I'll find something

Actually two days, 12 June and 17 July.
There is lots of tempting stuff there. Hawkwind "Greasy Truckers" is the sound of being 16 for me. I don't think Magic Michael has stood the test of time, but the Man tracks are good. I've never had LKJ "Making History" for some reason so I'll definitely go for that.

I had a quick look earlier and nothing much caught my eye tbh, apart from the Hawkwind and Roland Kirk. The last time went to RSD was in 2018 at Banquet records in Kingston and I spent £350!

By saying that they also claim Roland Kirk plays three pianos. He was unbelievably talented, but how he’d get three in his mouth I’ve no idea.

:D:D:D

This Mike Taylor release could be good - though long lost tape recorded in grandparent's front room so possibly not ultra-fi.
https://recordstoreday.co.uk/releases/rsd-2021-drop-1/mike-taylor-quartet-the/

Salah Ragab & Cairo Jazz Band - Egypt Strut potentially interesting if the price is right. I'm guessing this 2 x LP edition will be the same extended version as the later version of the Art Yard CD.
https://recordstoreday.co.uk/releases/rsd-2021-drop-1/salah-ragab-cairo-jazz-band/

I detest RSD, it's just another opportunity for the flippers to get fat. But I am pleased to see the delayed Dirty Three - Ocean Songs release on the list and what looks like a live album from Rage Against The Machine, so maybe I don't fully detest it after all.

Got to say that I was a bit underwhelmed when I first saw the list. The Miles Davis Jack Johnson release does look good though and I’m sure I’ll find a few more when I look more closely.

The Miles Davis will be great, the Complete Jack Johnson Sessions are an essential part of his catalogue. I’ll not be bothering though as the CD box sounds amazing and is complete.

I might be tempted by the extermination splatter-coloured vinyl. I don’t mean on the Mies Davis BTW. Although on second thoughts...

Last edited:
The Miles Davis will be great, the Complete Jack Johnson Sessions are an essential part of his catalogue. I’ll not be bothering though as the CD box sounds amazing and is complete.
Agreed - the CD box sounds great but nice to have a piece of limited vinyl as well!

Quiet Kenny is a really good album, one I have (nice Japanese pressing) so I’ll be it leaving be.

So much for not seeing anything interesting:
1st Drop
Flamin’ Groovies - Bucket of Brains
Incredible Bongo Band - Bongo Rock
IWDG - Weatherall Tribute
Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny

Lee Perry - Roast Fish, Collie Weed
Linton Kwesi Johnson - Making History
Mike Taylor - Preparation
Ron Carter - Golden Striker

Steely Dan - Two Against Nature
Steely Dan - Everything Must Go
Thelonius Monk - Custodians Mix
2nd Drop
Charles Lloyd - Manhattan Stories
CSN&Y - Deja Vu Alternatives
Disciples - Return to Addis Ababa 12”
Love - Everybody’s Gotta Live
Miles Davis - Champions (Jack Johnson)
Small Faces - Complete Greatest Hits
Various - May the Circle Be Unbroken (Roky Erikson)

I won't be going for all of those but the one's in bold are definites

At a quick glance only the John Martyn and Andrew Weatherall War Paint thing look tempting, I said I wouldn't be spending much on vinyl this year compared with previous ones so I'm glad there's not much of interest this year.

advertisement

Back