advertisement

Record Store Day 2021

I have no idea why, but I had assumed that RSD was RSD wherever it was, but I stumbled upon the release list for the US and it isn't the same as the UK, which is a serious PITA as the US drops include the Bill Evans - Behind The Dikes, 1969, officially previously unreleased, but not included in the UK lists.
Oddly, the US website lists quite a few stores in, or on the outskirts of, London as participating, but that is all for the UK. Are London stores getting US releases as well??????

Home | RECORD STORE DAY

UK RSD here -

RSD 2021 Drop 1 - Record Store Day

I have no idea why, but I had assumed that RSD was RSD wherever it was, but I stumbled upon the release list for the US and it isn't the same as the UK, which is a serious PITA as the US drops include the Bill Evans - Behind The Dikes, 1969, officially previously unreleased, but not included in the UK lists.
Oddly, the US website lists quite a few stores in, or on the outskirts of, London as participating, but that is all for the UK. Are London stores getting US releases as well??????

Home | RECORD STORE DAY

UK RSD here -

RSD 2021 Drop 1 - Record Store Day
The Bill Evans album was definitely on the UK list a wee while back, because I asked the owner of my local store about it. He told me he could order it, but (after tapping on his keyboard) said it would cost me £90 (see my post in this thread above.) That’s when I lost interest.

The Bill Evans album was definitely on the UK list a wee while back

Yes, I did follow that, but what is supposedly the UK list, on the .co.uk website, can be downloaded and it isn't on that.
Links above, apart from in my post, are to the US RSD website, where it is included.

As much as anything, I was wondering how the two lists might differ in total.

cost me £90

I wonder what the breakdown is on a £90 triple LP?

It was produced in conjunction with the Bill Evans Estate which is run by his wife Nennette and daughter Maxine so presumably they receive royalties or a licensing fee - good.

And they've obviously done things properly getting Bernie Grundman to master it etc.

But there were no recording costs. The packaging is nice but not extravagant.

Is it simply a case of charging what the market will support?

Yes, I did follow that, but what is supposedly the UK list, on the .co.uk website, can be downloaded and it isn't on that.
Links above, apart from in my post, are to the US RSD website, where it is included.

As much as anything, I was wondering how the two lists might differ in total.
Now I think about it, I do remember my store guy saying ‘that’s an American one’ when he was finding the price for me, and I had thought nothing of it. Maybe I had been looking at the US list too. Oddly it is shown as a July release there, although Intense Records (UK) list it for June. I might be concerned if I was thinking of buying a copy!

Maybe I had been looking at the US list too.

I would pretty much guarantee that :) Although the US site does list - guess - 20 or so London (only) shops.

Best you have a quick look at the UK list - link on my post above, in case you might be missing something :)

I would pretty much guarantee that :) Although the US site does list - guess - 20 or so London (only) shops.
...although I’m sure I would have searched via the .co.uk site linked in the OP - oh well, it isn’t important, and there’s no point me challenging my dodgy memory. If I do go for anything it will probably be Charles Lloyd, and TBH I can even live without that.

Anyone ventured into the nasty toxic outside to buy anything today? I’ve not, I do rather want the Nubya Garcia 12”, though it is crazy expensive (when did a 12” single become >£20, and who exactly agreed that was ok?!) and I’m vaguely interested in the Steely Dan vinyl, but really that’s about it for this one. Not a lot shouting at me from the list.

Anyone ventured into the nasty toxic outside to buy anything today? I’ve not, I do rather want the Nubya Garcia 12”, though it is crazy expensive (when did a 12” single become >£20, and who exactly agreed that was ok?!) and I’m vaguely interested in the Steely Dan vinyl, but really that’s about it for this one. Not a lot shouting at me from the list.

I thought £16 for the Ghost Town 40th was bad enough. Didn't snag anything new today but found the Horace Silver Classic Vinyl :)

I did not venture out to the shops as most are too far from me just to try by queuing, but tried to find a copy of Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny from a couple of shops that said on line sales after 6.00pm. Now out of stock. I think this was limited to 2,500 copies. Juno are still saying expected soon. I'm hoping Craft / Concord may reissue? Possibly a stereo rather than this mono.

Black Circle Records in Leighton Buzzard had a decent selection.
The Sword’s ‘Age of Winters’ was an irresistible purchase

advertisement

Back