advertisement

Record Store Day 2018

I’m not surprised there’s a lot left. Especially when you’ve got 7’’ singles (Florence & The Machine) for £17.00 RRP! There’s limit to how much fleecing people will tolerate. Add to that the general poor quantity of new pressings. Record companies will finally kill off their last golden goose.

The price of some of the singles seemed ridiculous, but I've no interest in them these days. I've dipped into all the LP purchases I made and the pressing quality seems good, I'll have a better idea when I've listened to them all.

The only disappointment so far has been the Beverly Martin album that I bought on a whim. First time around the music didn't grab me, time to give it a second spin.

Hmmm. I wonder if I've picked up a bad 'un. Annoying.

I think you may have Andrew, mine plays fine.
There seems to be no real shortage of 'Blackout' so even if you can't exchange at the shop you bought it from you could hopefully get a refund and buy one elsewhere.

Yesterday I picked up Pere Ubu - Terminal Tower from Rough Trade East at lunchtime (again).
It sounds very good, and comes with a download code - most formats up to FLAC 24/192.
It let me download more than once as the 1st time I got an mp3 not realising I had other options by clicking a tiny menu button.
Unfortunately the 2nd track, '30 Seconds Over Tokyo' was missing from both downloads, so a bit of a faff adding it in from another source I have.

Just gone back to Piccadilly on the way home and grabbed the Durutti Column. That’s RSD2018 done!

I managed to grab a copy of Welcome To The Blackout and the Go Go Penguin album from Piccadilly Records earlier. Yay! \o/ These were the only two I really wanted (I think) so pleased about that. They seemed to have a lot of stuff left too.

Tony, I think I was alongside you at the counter, unless someone else bought those exact same two albums this morning! Got my few bits in that London on Saturday, bar the Moondance, which Piccadilly had in stock.

I think you may have Andrew, mine plays fine.
There seems to be no real shortage of 'Blackout' so even if you can't exchange at the shop you bought it from you could hopefully get a refund and buy one elsewhere.

Yesterday I picked up Pere Ubu - Terminal Tower from Rough Trade East at lunchtime (again).

Actually I take it back; my copy is fine. Not sure what was going on first play, but I've been having a series of phono stage/SUT comparisons and reshuffle. Obviously one of the combinations was not a good one!

Terminal Tower is pretty essential for the singles on side one. Does the reissue sound good?

Tony, I think I was alongside you at the counter, unless someone else bought those exact same two albums this morning! Got my few bits in that London on Saturday, bar the Moondance, which Piccadilly had in stock.

Ha! This was just as the shop opened at 10:00 or very shortly after. I saw someone buying the Moondance so it looks likely it was you!

Ha! This was just as the shop opened at 10:00 or very shortly after. I saw someone buying the Moondance so it looks likely it was you!

Yes, that was me! I dropped a Planar 3 off at your place once - we obviously didn’t recognise each other!! I went back to PR on the way home and bought the Bowie live set. Someone has kindly ripped the whole thing to YouTube which I listened to today and was very impressed. Had to be done....

The worst value record I saw was a 12" of Boz Scagg's Lowdown c/w What Can I say - a total of just over 7 minutes music for £10.99. They're both great songs but I'm not quite sure who the record was aimed at - maybe a lot of dj's will be dropping samples in the next 12 months.

The worst value record I saw was a 12" of Boz Scagg's Lowdown c/w What Can I say - a total of just over 7 minutes music for £10.99. They're both great songs but I'm not quite sure who the record was aimed at - maybe a lot of dj's will be dropping samples in the next 12 months.

Whilst dropping 80 quid on three records is very far from my normal behaviour (I usually expect about 35 LPs for that!) I’m pretty happy with what I’ve brought home.

The GoGo Penguin is first on the 124 and it is great. My first album of theirs and pretty much what I was expecting (jazz piano/trip-hop kind of stuff). The first LP is quiet and flat, not got to the second. Nice clear vinyl and poly inners.

The Durutti Column looks decent though annoyingly is missing its advertised download code, it is also not quite as I’d seen it advertised (original album white vinyl, live one clear) in that the main album is black vinyl. Not bothered about that, I bought it as it is actually one of very few gaps in my DC collection, I never bought an original for some reason. Just spun a couple of tracks on the live album, and whilst not perfectly flat it sounds very decent. I saw DC a lot around this time so nice to have. Paper rather than poly inners, but looks in decent condition. Straight into Nagaokas, obvs.

The Bowie in particular is anything but overpriced (assuming it sounds good, which I will know shortly....). Three lovely heavy slabs of vinyl in decent poly inners in a very hefty tri-fold sleeve. Decent perceived value here.

Having two systems and an iPhone for travel I’d have really liked downloads for them all to be honest and I got none, but other than that the quality looks very good indeed. I’d actually have graded them all as M/M, and it annoys me how often I can’t do that with brand new vinyl!

...the Bowie is superb. A great band. I’ve not played Stage for ages, but this is a whole different thing despite what I think is the same line-up. The rhythm section and Adrian Belew are amazing here. I assume it is the correct playlist too. Stage always suffered horribly due to being cut and shut into an odd chronological order and totally lost any live concert flow as a result.

...the Bowie is superb. A great band. I’ve not played Stage for ages, but this is a whole different thing despite what I think is the same line-up. The rhythm section and Adrian Belew are amazing here. I assume it is the correct playlist too. Stage always suffered horribly due to being cut and shut into an odd chronological order and totally lost any live concert flow as a result.

Oh dear, I didn’t get it because I’m not too keen on Stage.

I get the impression it is pretty much ‘limited’ to the amount of people who may want to buy it! Piccadilly implied they had lots. It is very good IMO!

PS I may be a little biased as I really like the Berlin period and if I could time-travel back to see Bowie at any point this would likely be it. My in-route to Bowie was Low, which I bought when it came out.

I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't have bought 'Bowie Now' too. The idea of a mash-up of Low and Heroes tracks is intriguing, and I am such a Berlin-Bowie believer I'm tempted to be a completist. But I seem to remember that the consensus on the Berlin period reissues was fairly damning, and this is the same masters. What do we reckon, grab or avoid?

I managed to grab a copy of Welcome To The Blackout and the Go Go Penguin album from Piccadilly Records earlier. Yay! \o/ These were the only two I really wanted (I think) so pleased about that. They seemed to have a lot of stuff left too.

I bought the Go Go Penguins album. I don't think it's any different to the standard release is it? Bar perhaps colour (clear?) vinyl. I've only played it once so far so may have missed something.

Terminal Tower is pretty essential for the singles on side one. Does the reissue sound good?

Given that it is a compilation I would say overall very good and consistent, with some tracks sounding slightly better than others.
I have never heard an original, so can't compare.
Side 2 is also excellent. Some of the out-there, poppier numbers are a hoot.

I bought the Go Go Penguins album. I don't think it's any different to the standard release is it? Bar perhaps colour (clear?) vinyl. I've only played it once so far so may have missed something.

Looking at Discogs the RSD is the expanded edition, the original vinyl issue was a single album with 8 tracks, this is a double with 13 and is on clear vinyl (link). I didn’t have anything by them so my introduction to the band other than having watched a few YouTube clips.

Yes I think I thought it was the standard listing as I'd erroneously compared it to the deluxe cd edition. Also my first of theirs having seen them mentioned (here I think) and deciding they were worth a shot.

Popped into 'Reel Around The Fountain' in Stretford but they weren't participating. Bought a nice early 80's Clifford Brown Blue Note and my daughter got a double gatefold Ed Sheeran album for a tenner. The owner said "my wife told me they'd sell like hot cakes. I can't give them away. That one cost me £19 from the supplier!". He's great and often if you're buying a few things will give you anything he considers embarrassing for free!

Sod RSD. Just get down your local shop anyway for a browse and a chat with likeminded music fans.

Just spoken to X records in Bolton, they have a copy and will put it on one side for me. I'll pick it up at the weekend. Yippee!

advertisement

Back