advertisement

Record Store Day 2018

No one coughed up for the alt mix of "Tango in the Night" then?

What else did you see in the racks that you thought " not in a million years"? There was also an Alarm record in Oxford...

Unfortunately the Grant Green and sun Ra records had either gone or not been ordered in by Truck. I'd have been very tempted by either.

The vinyl issue of "Dead Bees on a Cake" is very, very good though - new cover, new tracks and a great sounding pressing. Not sure if it's been remixed or not but it sounds way richer than the CD

Kevin

I popped into RTE to hear some live music. Nothing on the lists this year really interested me. Last year a few of the London shops got extra copies of popular items, e.g. Bowie on the Monday so don't give up on getting what you want.

I suspect that a lot of the items people are viewing as rare, are in fact not and availability down to distribution.

I've seen this with Arcade Fire where lots were struggling to find it but Piccadilly had loads - and the flood in eBay shows the reseller market is about rrp.

I've just opened the Erased Trait 1+1=x box set and it is a work of loveliness. Really nicely put together, high quality and a great photo album of the artists/performances.

I went to Sister Ray in Shoreditch today to pick up 'Welcome to the Blackout' (they had quite a few copies left; check their Twitter feed for a list of what they've got left). I was going to avoid RSD this year, but I cannot miss a Bowie Berlin period gem like this. And it is indeed a gem! I've only heard this stuff on Youtube so great to be listening to it properly.

Sent my operatives out just for Bowie/Blackout and the Costello Squeeze single. They did good. Pick them up tomorrow. Everybody loving Blackout it seems, can't wait.

I thankfully missed all the queuing at the weekend but popped in to Rough Trade East yesterday lunchtime, and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of stock they had. Lots of Bowie except the eponymous LP. I picked up 'Blackout', Van Morrison -Alternate Moonadance, and the Abbey Road Version of The Isness, which is a good listen but could really have done with being spread out on say 3 sides. Also got the Neil Young and Pineapple Thief - 8 years later, which sounds excellent.
The Alternate Moondance sounds lovely (Chris Bellman cut) with generally excellent alternates of well known songs. Moondance in particular has a more jazzy feel and on first listen is a standout for me. I think I will continue to enjoy this.
Will have to keep searching for the Eno/Shields 12 inch which I would like to get. Hopefully like past RSDs the ebay prices will eventually come down and next week some UK stores may be selling off excess stock at retail prices online.

I hadn't got to the third disc of 'Welcome the Blackout' when I wrote before but I'm having some tracking issues on 'Station to Station'. I don't know if this is inner groove damange or just my set up. Has anyone else found the vinyl to be sub-optimal in places?

I hadn't got to the third disc of 'Welcome the Blackout' when I wrote before but I'm having some tracking issues on 'Station to Station'. I don't know if this is inner groove damange or just my set up. Has anyone else found the vinyl to be sub-optimal in places?

Mine seems fine. Already ripped in fact.

Tim

Just listened to Blackout. Absolutely wonderful. What a band he had then. I’ve always been a bit sniffy about later bands playing Ziggy era stuff but side 4 here is gorgeous.
And an immaculate pressing to boot.

I’m no fan of RSD as it means queuing for hours for usually overpriced product, but I do really fancy a copy of Welcome To The Blackout. Annoyed to have missed that one, hopefully it will get a CD release soon as it sounds like a good one.

I’m no fan of RSD as it means queuing for hours for usually overpriced product, but I do really fancy a copy of Welcome To The Blackout. Annoyed to have missed that one, hopefully it will get a CD release soon as it sounds like a good one.

X Records in Bolton still had a copy on Sunday. No idea if it’s still there.

I just went to Piccadilly Records in Manchester this afternoon. Picked up Bowie Blackout, ENO/Shields 12”,
Van Morrison alternate Moondance, Sparks pic disc 7” and Wire 7” Box Set. I would have liked Neil Young at Roxy but that’s coming out anyway and David Sylvian Dead Bees on a cake but all in all I’m well happy.

Checking eBay over the weekend, it looks like 99% were bought by scalpers/scum bags, which is very sad. I had to buy one off eBay but only paid a tenner over RRP so I can live with that. Basically I’ve paid for someone else to stand in line for hours and get them to deliver it to my house, more fool them. It arrived yesterday but yet to play it. All I know it’s a heavy beast.

From reading through this thread it looks like there’s a few still available in the shops. There also seems to be quite a few copies available (on eBay) of last year’s RSD release, Cracked Actor and prices aren't too silly yet. So (hopefully) they might have pressed enough to go round.

I managed to grab a copy of Welcome To The Blackout and the Go Go Penguin album from Piccadilly Records earlier. Yay! \o/ These were the only two I really wanted (I think) so pleased about that. They seemed to have a lot of stuff left too.

I managed to grab a copy of Welcome To The Blackout and the Go Go Penguin album from Piccadilly Records earlier. Yay! \o/ These were the only two I really wanted (I think) so pleased about that. They seemed to have a lot of stuff left too.

I’m not surprised there’s a lot left. Especially when you’ve got 7’’ singles (Florence & The Machine) for £17.00 RRP! There’s limit to how much fleecing people will tolerate. Add to that the general poor quantity of new pressings. Record companies will finally kill off their last golden goose.

Glad you got hold of 'Blackout...'

advertisement

Back