advertisement

Record Store Day 2018

onlyconnect

pfm Member
Couldn't resist the Bowie 78 (I was there) but since when did £10.99 / £11/99 become a reasonable price for a 7" single?

Tim

It didn't. I have to pop in work tomorrow so will see what Sister Rays and Sounds of the Universe have left of actual interest plus a general rummage through the racks. Can't be bothered with the crack of dawn queue for stuff which may become collectable but then again might not. I have too many things I have bought which hardly get played and haven't even become collectable.

I queued at Truck in Oxford and had some great conversations. I went down to get the vinyl issue of David Sylvian’s Dead Bees on a Cake - one of my long term favourites - and also picked up expanded GoGo Penguin V.2. Worth the early start.

Kevin

Went into my local store at 4 and got most of what I wanted - Grant Green Funk in France, Neil Young and Dickie Betts. The other Grant Green wasnt in stock. I might take a second look at the list and pop back tomorrow.

I went to Piccadilly Records and queued early from 5am (about 60th-70th in the queue at that time I guess). That meant entering the shop at 9.45 following their opening at 8am.

Ironically perhaps, there was nothing I was desperate to get but it was a change (from sleep!) and I chatted to a few people I otherwise wouldn't have.

Bought quite a bit in the end with the majority being stuff I would anyway. A few Manchester Indie titles, the national live show, gogo penguins, max richter, bibio, and the (expensive!) Erased tapes compilation.

Disappointing to see 3.5k hits on eBay for "rsd 2018". That's life I guess but I struggle to understand the person who buys a record over someone behind them who's queued for hours in order to make 10 or 20 quid.

Keeping an eye on the 'sold out of' tweets, I could have turned up at 9am and got all the stuff that mattered. But I don't regret the early start for a bit of fun and a chat.

We ended up in Banquet Records, Kingston Upon Thames. I didn't know where to go for R.S.D. this year, but we had to go to Kingston Upon Thames for another reason, and I was pleased to find that there was a participating store close by. On arrival, we found ourselves at the 55 metre mark, and queued for around two hours, but boy was it worth it! They had absolutely tons of stuff & I'm afraid to say that I blew nearly £400! Lovely weather & a great day out; even the queuing wasn't too bad, because there was some nice people in the queue and we chatted for the duration until we got into the shop! I'll list it up later; I was like a kid in a candy shop!

Called into Derricks in Swansea about half ten this morning, only really wanted the Chichester Hospital Radio 10" LP of theme tunes but it was already sold out.
I fancied the Barry Gray mini album as well but decided against paying £30 so I left empty handed...Ridiculous prices overall but I did get to see my buddy Nic from Audio T (doing the RSD Rega turntable give away) for a chat and a bit of a catch up.

I went to Piccadilly Records and queued early from 5am (about 60th-70th in the queue at that time I guess). That meant entering the shop at 9.45 following their opening at 8am.

Ironically perhaps, there was nothing I was desperate to get but it was a change (from sleep!) and I chatted to a few people I otherwise wouldn't have.

Bought quite a bit in the end with the majority being stuff I would anyway. A few Manchester Indie titles, the national live show, gogo penguins, max richter, bibio, and the (expensive!) Erased tapes compilation.

Disappointing to see 3.5k hits on eBay for "rsd 2018". That's life I guess but I struggle to understand the person who buys a record over someone behind them who's queued for hours in order to make 10 or 20 quid.

Keeping an eye on the 'sold out of' tweets, I could have turned up at 9am and got all the stuff that mattered. But I don't regret the early start for a bit of fun and a chat.

Sadly the 'RSD2018' search on eBay has been throwing up hundreds of results for a few weeks now, all "guaranteed" stock.

I am loving Bowie's Welcome to the Blackout. Recommended if you do vinyl (there will probably be a CD release soon).

[there is also thunder and lightning outside and quite possibly a real blackout soon, spooky!]

Tim

My local vinyl emporium had put the This is Kit album aside for me which was swiftly joined by the Bobbie Gentry at the BBC album.Spent some time in Waterstone's and bought Dave Goulson - A Bee Quest,so a good day all round.
Cheers
Tony

...I'll list it up later; I was like a kid in a candy shop!

Bert Jansch - Santa Barbara Honeymoon (LP)

Bert Jansch - A rare conundrum Jansch (LP)

Bert Jansch - L.A. Turnaround Jansch (LP)

Human - League Secrets (2 x LP)

Lovely Eggs - This is eggland (LP)

The Heads - Everybody Knows We Got Nowhere (2 x LP)

P.I.L. - Concert live at the Brixton Academy 27.5.86 (2 x LP)

Frank Zappa - Lumpy Gravy Primordial (LP)

David Bowie - Welcome to the blackout live London '78 (3 x LP)

David Bowie - Bowie Now (LP)

Curved Air - Air Conditioning (LP)

Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (LP)

Jimi Hendrix - Lover man / Foxy lady (7”)

VA: - Punk 45 approaching the minimal with spray guns (5 x 7” Box Set)

The Undertones – Singles (13 x 7” Box Set)

I bought The Lovely Eggs. I like some of their stuff and like to support a local band. I had planned to get the Undertones box but the price stopped me in the end.

Got the Miles.... chuffed to bits. Plus a couple of others and a nice '74 copy of Revolver from Oxfam nearby

Sister Rays in Berwick Street had lots left this afternoon if anyone is interested.

Grabbed Piper at the Gates of Dawn and The Cure Torn Down (Mixed Up Extras). The first fills a gap.

Returned to X records in Bolton. No Pink Floyd and no Van Morrison, but I still managed to spend more than I expected. They still had copies of all the Bowie releases, but I didn’t bite.

Listening to the first side of the Sun Ra live double. It started out ‘normal’ and then changed to the opposite.

Only listened to one side of the Grant Green Funk in France triple and it’s very good sounding mono.

My mate queued but the local emporium had never heard of Max Richter, let alone bothered to get it. I treated myself to a 180g remaster of Agharta and a limited edition Pollen by AES DANA off Amazon instead.

advertisement

Back