advertisement

Record Shops RIP ...................................

There are 3 really good stores in Bristol for vinyl. It's a bit of a drive for me but a good day out. They even have a cafe in one so the other half can enjoy the day too ;)

RickyC6,

I was in that MVE Soul & Dance last month, came back with a bagful there, it will be a loss if that one goes too, after the classical one as well is it.

Bewick St Soho tomorrow to see how that is going there.

DS

Gutab,

I thought I knew the Brizzle shops, is Rise the cafe one, or one of them in the market is it?

Not Idle Hands, that one is too small to have an ensuite eatery there.

DS

Cross threaded, these are the HMVs to close is it:

The stores earmarked for closure are:

England: Ashton-under-Lyne, Barnsley, Bayswater, Bexleyheath, Birkenhead, Birmingham Fort, Blackburn, Boston, Bournemouth Castlepoint, Bracknell, Burton-upon-Trent, Camberley, Chesterfield, Croydon Centrale, Durham, Fulham, Huddersfield, Leamington Spa, Leeds White Rose, Loughborough, Luton, Manchester 90, Moorgate, Orpington, Rochdale, Scunthorpe, South Shields, Speke Park, St Albans, St Helens, Stockton-on-Tees, Tamworth, Teesside, Telford, Trocadero, Wakefield, Walsall, Walton-on-Thames, Wandsworth, Warrington, Watford, Wellingborough, Wigan, Wood Green, Workington

Scotland: Dumfries, Edinburgh Fort, Edinburgh Gyle Centre, Edinburgh Ocean, Edinburgh Princes Street, Edinburgh St James, Falkirk, Glasgow - Fort, Glasgow - Silverburn, Glasgow Braehead, Kirkcaldy

Northern Ireland: Ballymena, Belfast Boucher Road, Belfast Forestside, Coleraine, Craigavon, Derry, Lisburn, Newry, Newtownabbey

Wales: Wrexham there.

DS

I can't remember the name sadly. It was on the same stretch of road that fopp was on. We went to the museum aswell. They had a really good selection of wild life photography.

Glasgow Shops

Has Avalanche in Glasgow gone? Can't find it in the listings or The Vinyl District here is it.

What is the s/h one in the road by Central Station called?

Might have to focus on Rub-a-Dub / Monorail / Volcanic Tongue perhaps.

DS

Anyone know what the situation with Selectadisc in Nottingham is? Google suggests a brand takeover but details were a bit sketchy. I'm going to be up that way a fair bit from now, but I've not made it into the city yet.

All the branches were shut when I was last there, I saw the web speculation about a relaunch in 2009, but no actual specific news is it.

The old locations had been converted into other non-music outlets there.

DS

Glasgow Shops

Has Avalanche in Glasgow gone? Can't find it in the listings or The Vinyl District here is it.

What is the s/h one in the road by Central Station called?

Might have to focus on Rub-a-Dub / Monorail / Volcanic Tongue perhaps.

DS

Avalanche was a franchise basis, now operating as 'Love Music' is it.

The one by the station is called 'Missing'. Previously had some rare Avant Garde records, not any more there.

Rub-a-Dub and Monorail were both good today. Checked VT website, didn't travel out there.

DS

I had heard that my beloved Borderline Records in Brighton might be closing. I was quite distressed. So I went down there for a shopping day and asked. The owner chap said they might be concentrating on selling vinyl more and less CDs

I had heard that my beloved Borderline Records in Brighton might be closing. I was quite distressed. So I went down there for a shopping day and asked. The owner chap said they might be concentrating on selling vinyl more and less CDs

That would be good, the vinyl qty has been going down over the years, from when they were a stall in Komedia space is it. Hardly any non-Pysche re-issue last time I was there, virtually no modern stuff / electronica.

No future in CDs in shops, bring back the records!

DS

That would be good, the vinyl qty has been going down over the years, from when they were a stall in Komedia space is it. Hardly any non-Pysche re-issue last time I was there, virtually no modern stuff / electronica.

No future in CDs in shops, bring back the records!

DS

I bought my first pysch vinyl from them over ten years ago. Great staff. I panicked when I read they might be closing. I heard that the rents were going up to insane levels, so they might move.

Last time I went they do have a fair bit of Sundazed and similar reissues in stock.

Brighton already lost Rounder and Edgeworld Records last year.

Im not sure if its been mentioned, there is a shop called "Wanted music" in beckenham SE london/kent, they have a wide selection but some is pricey for what it is, they also have other formats cd & dvd.
I have found some good punk & new wave lps, the type that will not be turning up repressed on 180g reissues.

Anyone know the latest state of play with shops in That Edinburgh? Am working up there shortly.

Rich, there are a few good ones, Elvis Shakespear is it. and Underground Solulsns, and for you Avalanche might have stuff is it, Also Unknown Pleasures in the area, I know of but have not visited VoxBox there.

Fopp as well a bit

DS

advertisement

Back