advertisement

Record Shops RIP ...................................

I went in Endless Music in Prestwich (Manchester) last week for the first time in a while. It has been tidied up and they have even hoovered the carpet. There is a much larger range of new vinyl and he seems to have got a job lot of Ninja Tune deletions on vinyl and CD.
Vince

Report from That Chesterfield, probably not new news, but Hudsons Records and Tapes have closed down, gone bust, not there is it.

The double fronted shop is empty and bare, so I left Chesterfield empty-hearted there.

DS

I think it may have been mentioned before, but The Soul & Dance Exchange shop in Notting Hill has closed down and is empty is it. The stock has been trimmed down and is now above the Rock & Pop Exchange, shoving out the rare punk and other stuff.

But, the Classical Music Exchange has moved into the tiny little shop that used to be the DVD shop in the same parade there.

DS

Soul and Dance had been quite sad for a long time. The stock seemed to get older and tattier. That shop used to be a real joy.

I noticed that as well. I found some decent/cheap jazz records in the new upstairs dept though so I consoled myself that at least they were still open - unlike the Camden branch.

Though I see there are plans to redevelop the street to something more appropriate for Hugh Grant fanciers so who knows how much longer MVE will remain... especially now George Galloway has called for a boycott of their Retro Clothing shop is it!

Since moving south the Greenwich branch has become my Local Record Shop. The staff there seem noticably more cheerful than Camden. All the fresh air and trees perhaps.

I have gone to the Greenwich one a few times, there is another 2nd hand shop just round the corner is it.

It is a bit off the beaten track from my usual haunts, but as you say the staff don't scowl at you like the Camden ones used to there.

DS

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but thought it was worth mentioning that Borderline Records in Brighton have vacated their shop on Gardner Street. When I spoke ot the owner last year he said he was relocating. But that doesn't seem to have happened.

The shop is now a 'Tea Mixologists'. No, I don't know either.

We're spending a few days away in the country, and I thought I'd check out Tor Records in Glastonbury, only to find that it closed late last year; another one bites the dust..

I find it hard to believe that a place that hosts one of the worlds leading music festivals can't sustain a record shop!

Sister Ray have moved out of the old Selectadisc shop on Berwick Street. They are now across the road in what seems to be a smaller store on 2 floors. So not RIP but sorry to see the old shop go.

I popped into the 'new' Selectadisc during the week and rather liked it. They still have the rather bizarre section of charity shop vinyl but I though the vinyl section was better laid out than before - I certainly found more interesting bits having a browse. Listening decks aren't ready yet but there should be two by the counter very soon.

I ended up buying a Suzanne Ciani compilation on Finders Keepers that I'd never heard of but which turned out to be ace :)

advertisement

Back