advertisement

Record Shops RIP ...................................

During a morning shopping trip I noticed that Carnival Records opened today in the centre of Great Malvern!

I popped in there today is it, and was quite impressed with the range of new and second hand vinyl and also the CDs too. I came away with some records in a bag.

Lots of box sets on the shelves, friendly staff, coffee, good genre segmentation, so I will return for a bigger browse in the future there.

DS

Oh dear. Bath Classical Records and the Broad Street Jazz shop have moved in together in Drop Record's old location across the street. I wish them the best but the result is a shadow of former selves - the 'jazz shop' amounts to just one rack at the back :(
Yes, I went there a couple of weeks ago and was pretty underwhelmed. It used to be one of the best stocked classical shops in the UK, but the range of titles in the new shop is much smaller.

SC,

Thanks for the pointer, I had sort of given Nottingham a miss after the loss of the Selectadiscs and the horrors of Rob's Records, but will now give it another go is it.

I took a nice picture of some swans landing on the canal in Langley Mill a few years ago, so I know where it is there.

DS

Rob's Records had a makeover and is now surprisingly tidy ;-)

Tim

Rob's Records had a makeover and is now surprisingly tidy ;-)

Tim

Well that's good, I am surprised that some of the records on the bottom of the piles 20 ft high hadn't turned back to oil under the pressure is it!

Can you actually get in and see what is in stock now there?

DS

Why I am posting this on this thread - I dunno. But...the great news is I purchased the legendary Jim Jiminee album Welcome To Hawaii in Notting Hill Gate MVE along with associated 12" single plus my first ever 6" flexi disc (can u guess what?). Me very happy chap.

Not good news:

E-mail commincation today, Second Layer in Highgate is closing its doors and going mail order only on 23/06/12.

The Souths top full on noise / wierdness / electronics / industrial store with records, CD, DVDs books and cassettes (yes cassettes) going, losing the opportunity to browse through the racks of releases you haven't heard of, and have the RSA Pete recommend things to try. The other record shop in Highgate went a long time ago, Pure Groove left Archway, so it is now Camden Town or Finchley for your central north London vinyl outlets.

DS

Yes, I got that mail shot too. TBH all of my business with them was via mail order, but it is sad to see yet another record shop go; it was definitely on my list of shops to visit, but there you go.

I meant to mention earlier, Rhythmic Records shut down on the 25th May. It had existed in this form for 24 years, I remember it starting out as a stall in an indoor market in the very early 80's,apparently it was the 2nd oldest independent shop in Scotland. That's Greenock without a record shop, sad days.

Record shops in Camden area folks? Got some time there tomorrow.

There's also a fairly decent shop/stall in Stables Market (East Yard) selling mainly rock - not to be confused with the first stall you see near the entrance from the street.

mat

Not good news:

E-mail commincation today, Second Layer in Highgate is closing its doors and going mail order only on 23/06/12.

The Souths top full on noise / wierdness / electronics / industrial store with records, CD, DVDs books and cassettes (yes cassettes) going, losing the opportunity to browse through the racks of releases you haven't heard of, and have the RSA Pete recommend things to try. The other record shop in Highgate went a long time ago, Pure Groove left Archway, so it is now Camden Town or Finchley for your central north London vinyl outlets.

DS

Fark I was planning a trip there on Saturday. Is Saturday the last day as a shop, or Friday? If Friday, I won't bother, if Sat then it'll be busy.
Can't see anything on the site about it?

There's always Crouch End with Flashback Records.

I have been to Flashback Crouch End a few times, but have come away empty hearted as many times as with a bag is it. All a bit Dad Rock and safe. I got more records in the Oxfam down the road there.

I would have thought the denziens of the urban enclave of Crouchers would have been a bit more trendy or left field in thier record cast offs, but no.

Long gone are the days of the indie record shop there that sold me the original JAMC Upside Down 7"

DS

Fark I was planning a trip there on Saturday. Is Saturday the last day as a shop, or Friday? If Friday, I won't bother, if Sat then it'll be busy.

From the Man is it:

***Second Layer Records Highgate Shop Closing***

Saturday 23rd June will be the final day of the Highgate shop. There are a multitude of reasons why I have decided to close but in summary: 1) I have a lot of things I want to do outside of the shop and cannot justify the time spent here; 2) The majority of customers now reserve records via phone/email and simply collect, and although this is not a problem in itself, the role of running Second Layer Records as a public shop with set opening hours seems increasingly redundant to me.

I am guilty of No. 2 there.

DS

Has Kristina records in Dalston been mentioned for North London outlets? I haven't been in to the shop yet, but had a Sun Ra record delivered from them today. Vinyl only and looks like a reasonable selection from the website.

I think it has been mentioned but not visited yet is it. More East London than North there, and not on a tube stop, so will take some determination to get to, or a bus.

DS

advertisement

Back