advertisement

Record Shops RIP ...................................

Rich,

I did think about going to Hull, but worked out it was a 70 mile diversion and time was against me is it.

But I am plotting another trip to take in the delights there, to see if Disc Discovery has got any more Brotherhood of Structure records, as I cleared him out before.

DS

Not an RIP more a merger - there used to be 3 MVE shops at Notting Hill Gate now there are 2 as the classical shop has moved in with the soul and dance place. Interesting sounds therein no doubt. The rock/pop shop sorted me out with some 7" singles so I was happy.

Looked very very tatty when I was last in there. There was acres of records going for well under a quid and a shrinking 'new' second hand section. Perhaps fewer physical items going to reviewers who cannot sell them to MVE.

Dss, I have to ask, what the hell is (it) your job that takes you around the UK like this?

I went to HMV today - the last record shop standing in Sheffield city centre - and was surprised to find a small rack of secondhand CDs inside. All were in good condition and priced to sell at £2 each. There was some quite interesting stuff there but I didn't buy anything, although I would have bought a couple of Kings of Convenience albums if I didn't already have them.

I thought this was an interesting development as there's a CEX shop directly opposite. I wonder if all HMVs are doing this? Whatever's going on, I don't think Record Collector, Sheffield's finest, has anything to fear.

Amazingly, I didn't leave the shop empty-handed and disappointed. They were selling the box set of Leonard Cohen at a good price. The late night misery-fest is in full swing as I type. ;-)

Looked very very tatty when I was last in there. There was acres of records going for well under a quid and a shrinking 'new' second hand section. Perhaps fewer physical items going to reviewers who cannot sell them to MVE.

Just been into the Soul & Dance one, and fortunately none of the floorspace has been lost to the classics, they have shoved it upstairs to the office area is it. They had just had some juicy collection receipts, as there were about 6 Brotherhood of Structure related items in, but I had them all already.

There was also a lot more avant garde and noise stuff in the Rock & Pop shop, so also got satisfaction there.

DS

Oh dear. Bath Classical Records and the Broad Street Jazz shop have moved in together in Drop Record's old location across the street. I wish them the best but the result is a shadow of former selves - the 'jazz shop' amounts to just one rack at the back :(

I never understood why the Bath jazz store had so little vinyl, surely jazz vinyl is always going to be a winner with collectors....let's hope the new place doesn't make the same mistake.

If you want jazz on CD you are likely to just order it off Amazon, but vinyl is pretty much going to be a store buying experience.

During a morning shopping trip I noticed that Carnival Records opened today in the centre of Great Malvern! In a courtyard off Church St, next to Anupam. Run by Chris Heard out of HFN. Very nice it is too. Plenty of new vinyl, new and secondhand CDs, audiophile, limited editions, box sets, etc. RCM in the corner (Okki Nokki I think). Friendly staff. There's even a coffee machine with proper mugs! Had a bit of a chat with the owner who is very enthusiastic and friendly. He is planning to expand and will be bringing lots of secondhand vinyl from the warehouse.

Bought the latest Iron and Wine LP and looking forward to Record Store Day in a few weeks.

It's great to have a record shop back in Malvern.

Damian

Well it would be nice to have a local friendly music & vinyl store but nobody in this town and many others thinks its a business model worth investing in.

I can see why and with the overheads a stready foot fall would be needed. We have a magpie in the main offering 3 cds for a fiver and half the floorspace devoted to dvds. W H smith no longer stock music. Other discount stores closed and the guy at the indoor market packed it in.

There is a vinyl revival but is it really enough to sustain a healthy business?

The cd is very slowly dying away. The nostalgia for vinyl is not going to save the high street.

Report from That Brighton

Bad news, my favourite remaining shop Edgeworld has shut down. No other shop carried such a diverse range, and mostly on vinyl too is it.

Some minor succour was that another record shop operator has started up in the Edgeworld space, next to the tattooist. This new shop is called Endless Records, and did have some noise, alt-rock, minimal techno and pop but only had about 10% of the previous shops stock level, but early days I suppose. I still came out with a bagfull.

Otherwise, Rounder, Borderline, the one above Wolf & Gypsy, Wax Factor, Across the Tracks, Resident, Ape, the soundtracks one by the Station, Rare Kind and The Punker Bunker were all operational.

No vinyl in the HMV that I could see there.

DS

yea sad time. I had 2 small record shops where I lived and loved it. but both shut down and now there is just a HMV and of course there not doing to good atm.

luckly I have a good record shop in the city I work in. went in today came out with couple of things. has perked up my music spending again.

The Beat Goes On in Clifton, Bristol no longer goes on..... In fact the whole store has been completely emptied.. Mind you over the past 3 years I have never seen it open so no real loss to me.

Moko,

That's the one I have been to (or tried to) at least 3 times, and never got in is it. So no great surprise it has properly gone. At least there a c. 9 other shops to try in Brizzle.

DS

During a morning shopping trip I noticed that Carnival Records opened today in the centre of Great Malvern! In a courtyard off Church St, next to Anupam. Run by Chris Heard out of HFN. Very nice it is too. Plenty of new vinyl, new and secondhand CDs, audiophile, limited editions, box sets, etc. RCM in the corner (Okki Nokki I think). Friendly staff. There's even a coffee machine with proper mugs! Had a bit of a chat with the owner who is very enthusiastic and friendly. He is planning to expand and will be bringing lots of secondhand vinyl from the warehouse.

Bought the latest Iron and Wine LP and looking forward to Record Store Day in a few weeks.

It's great to have a record shop back in Malvern.

Damian

Hi,

I was in this shop yesterday. Very nice shop. Chris is a nice chap. Spent over £60.

Dean

SC,

Thanks for the pointer, I had sort of given Nottingham a miss after the loss of the Selectadiscs and the horrors of Rob's Records, but will now give it another go is it.

I took a nice picture of some swans landing on the canal in Langley Mill a few years ago, so I know where it is there.

DS

advertisement

Back