advertisement

Record Shops RIP ...................................

Was the Glastonbury one at the back of a New Age Shoppe? I went to one like that a while back.

Bath needs a vinyl outlet is it, ever since Replay / Drop Records (? I think) went it has been left for the Bath Classical Music and DS&P, neither of which fill my bag much.

So I will get to this market when going through the West Country there.

DS

Was the Glastonbury one at the back of a New Age Shoppe? I went to one like that a while back.

No just on it's own at ye olde festival not far from Pyramid stage. I think he probably told me some crucial details about when/where the Bath market thing is but I have to confess to being a little squiffy at that point.

Nostalgic note: I walked past the defunct, boarded-up Mole's Jazz record shop at King's Cross this afternoon.

by Waitrose in Bath? ( last time I was there i had to tell the bloke with lots of Beatles stuff to hide the sleeves & records of his Fan club etc expensive Beatles records and invest in a photocopier for his stall display)
There's just about nothing left in Bath but Bristol is a different fish

I did the triumvirate of shops in Hull market place today and emerged with some Eyeless In Gaza, Pooh Sticks and a Velvets boot. A most pleasant afternoon.

I can report no vinyl in Bath, couldn't find the bloke near Waitrose seems to have gone. Bristol is great though the two stores in St Nicholas Market are good especially Wanted Records and then the one up Cheltenham Road is always worth a visit.

I can report no vinyl in Bath, couldn't find the bloke near Waitrose seems to have gone. Bristol is great though the two stores in St Nicholas Market are good especially Wanted Records and then the one up Cheltenham Road is always worth a visit.

Bristol is on the up, 3 music stores in St. Nicholas Market, 2 on Park Street and 3 on Cheltenham Road is it.

In fact I think I will go again next week there.

DS

Joe, Thanks for that, will add to the list is it. Defintely looking forward to a trip there now.

DS

Sister Ray, MVE and Reckless all relieved of some mighty cool 7 inch singles yesterday. Unfortunately I bought a Bourgie Bourgie single that I already have. The Music Collector iPhone app (and associated iPhone 4) will be organised asap. Brain has obviously reached tipping point in this regard. (see The Slits Animal Space single bought in error at Glastonbury - I was on the ale big stylee at the time though)

Noticed this morning that I have to walk past, not one but two S/H record shops to get to work in Cardiff now: 'The Record Shop' and 'D'Vinyl'. Both are less than 5 minutes from my front door and appear to practically back on to each other.

JohnfromCardiff: D;Vinyl is the one with the vinyl piled high and deep, you will have to shift stuff around to get to see it, but the owner is helpful and friendly is it. Cash only mind you there. Hope to get there next week.

DS

Report from That East London:

Beats Working on Sclater Street has gone, replaced by a trendy art gallery / shop, probably more of the former, given that there were no customers in sight.

Also, the vinyl market was not in Spitalfields, so I must have gone on the wrong Friday there.

But the day was saved in RTE, many good things is it, incl White Hills thank you.

DS

Another one in one out...

Spillers, the Oldest Record Shop In The World has moved out of the old Hayes Road site to a new unit in Morgan Arcade Cardiff is it.

Good points :

- Still trading!
- Very helpful and knowlegable RSA, particularly on droney space rock.
- Only shop in the domain to have a Children of Bodom / Killing Joke IRSD 7" special left
- They had 2 Conrad Schnitzler records on show (I had both of them already)

Bad Points:

- Amount of vinyl and also CDs is seriously reduced, and is upstairs for vinyl, with only one wall racked
- They still put b+w photocopies of the sleeves out.
- Shop layout is not long and thin. Records shops ideally are long and thin.

But good to see them still going there.

DS

I believe Borders, the big US based book and music chain, has just gone under. There used to be one in That London too, though IIRC that went a while back.

The UK Borders have been shut for a year or two is it. Fairly Std range of CDs, a lot of mags and books, but a good sale in the last week.

The US ones were quite handy, with coffee shops and free Wi-Fi over it thank you.

DS

Berwick st was raided again last night with best purchase being iggy pop's jacket by those naughty lumps - a zoo records classic

advertisement

Back