advertisement

Record Shops RIP ...................................

Joe, I have seen that this shop is only open Fri & Sat is it. Any info there?

DS

I tried their phone number today (Thurs), no answer no message, so I guess it is likely to be true, only open Fri / Sat is it. Bit pants that really, not really a show of dedication, when Plastic Wax in Brizzle has 3 staff on.

DS

I tried their phone number today (Thurs), no answer no message, so I guess it is likely to be true, only open Fri / Sat is it. Bit pants that really, not really a show of dedication, when Plastic Wax in Brizzle has 3 staff on.

DS

Sorry, was away Weds and Thurs and have just seen this.

Yes, only open Friday and Saturday; see

http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/the-beat-goes-on-bristol

I only ever go past on a Saturday and of course it's always open then!

Report from That Manchester:

Temporary RIP (I hope) for Eastern Bloc, they were shut up, with the shop being stripped out. Signs of moving 'nearby', local knowledge is to St. Stephens Sq, I looked but could not find is it. I sincerely hope they do set up elsewhere, they were the best Techno and Drum'n'Bass shop in town there.

Can locals keep an eye out and report if they seen any positive signs there.

DS

Yes, I always go into the new old Reckless Berwick Street and always find something to buy from the Post Rock / US Indie / US Techno / UK Techno / Industrial / Experimental / Krautrock sections is it.

DS

Further report from That Manchester

Vox Pop which used to be a veggie cafe at the front and record shop at the back has lost the records and turned into a full time tea shop is it. This is all very well, but do we really need tea and cake more than records there? I don't think so

I think they have done the usual and gone all on-line.

DS

Quick report from That Dublin:-
- Borderline Records in Temple Bar, closing down sale (25% off everything), been there 20 years; v sad. Or it could be a very long closing down sale. Not much of interest.
- Mojo Records, down a street off Temple Bar, some secondhand vinyl but very slightly above charity shop status.
- Book and music market in Temple Bar square yesterday. Above average fare - got me a Boo Radleys CD single.
- Freebird Records = new venture down Wicklow Street. Loads of vinyl and CDs (new and secondhand) sharing the space with a decent bookshop. But the prices, oh dear. Won't be selling many...

Rest of the time was taken up with watching Morrissey and drinking Guinness. Both were on fine form.

Paul,

Thanks for that tip, I will seek it out when in That London is it.

Will it be a bit like Pure Groove, where style > substance I wonder?

DS

Back in York for a meeting, popped into Rebound (on Gillygate). Good chat with the owner, an ex Track employee who thankfully doesn't use his former employers carpetbombing approach to stock control. Bought a bunch of Blue Notes (DMM mostly) and a nice East Wind LP by Hank Jones. They had a mint cop of Stereolab / Dots and Loops too but previous experience of the green/white vinyl has been pretty negative so I passed. Every time I'm here I buy a few and have to pass on a few more so I hope he keeps trading.

Not so much an RIP, more a sick note is it

Borderline in That Brighton seem to have vinyl on the decline, selection shrinking in quantity and depth, only found one record to get there. CD selection going down too. A Shame,

On the brighter Brighton note, all the current other shops are still going, but I miss Covert the most.

Also, I found a vinyl shop I had not frequented before 'Rare Kind Records'. About 90% Hip-hop, with a smattering of Breaks, downtempo, techno, house, punk, indie, pop and dross. Has a Drum'n'Bass shop upstairs.

Second Also, The Record Shop with No Obvious Name Above the Wolf and Gipsy Vintage Clothes Shop has expanded his range considerably, so not just underground house, but a load of s/h jazz, a lot of dubstep and even contemporary minimal techno, like Sandwell District, Sigha and others. Most satisfactory!

DS

Chaps

A new shop has opened up in Swindon selling nothing but LPs and nearly everything is below £4.00 and surprisingly the quality is good.

He operates from the market so will enjoy cheap rent for a few months, so it remains to be seen if he becomes a permanent fixture once the normal rents kick in.

Regards

Mick

On my recent trip to Berlin the record shop at the corner of Friedrich Strasse and Oranienburger Strasse had just closed.

Has Eastern Bloc records in Manchester reopened?

Must plug Bookcase in Carlisle. Downstairs is a goldmine for classical and jazz. Though can be pricey!!!

advertisement

Back