advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime III

We watched The Power of the Dog on Netflix over the weekend, and I would strongly recommend it - one of the most intriguing and interesting films I've seen this year. A narrative that is multi-layered, and the realisation afterwards that simple incidents are imbued with ambiguity and symbolism. I'll definitely watch this again over Christmas. Most of the reviews I've subsequently read focus on the most obvious aspects of the narrative, and see it is a kind of successor to Brokeback Mountain, which seems to me to miss the point. I'm interested in exploring more of Jane Campion's work - any recommendations?
+1 an excellent film that left me thinking about it for a good time after. The pennies take a while to drop. Worthwhile review in the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...erb-gothic-western-is-mysterious-and-menacing

We watched The Power of the Dog on Netflix over the weekend, and I would strongly recommend it - one of the most intriguing and interesting films I've seen this year. A narrative that is multi-layered, and the realisation afterwards that simple incidents are imbued with ambiguity and symbolism. I'll definitely watch this again over Christmas. Most of the reviews I've subsequently read focus on the most obvious aspects of the narrative, and see it is a kind of successor to Brokeback Mountain, which seems to me to miss the point. I'm interested in exploring more of Jane Campion's work - any recommendations?
The Piano is an old movie from the 90’s worth a watch. The series Top of the Lake is more recent.

Mean Streets is free on IMDB.TV if you can cope with the adverts. One of the best films of the 70's. I'd watch it on Blu Ray, though.

I know I am in a minority here but, I am quite enjoying the live action "Cowboy Bebop" I do not have any idea about the original Japanese cartoon series so I came to it fresh with no pre conceived ideas. The main cast seem to be enjoying themselves and the pace and set designs are very good. It looks like it is too much for the purists and has not been given a second series.
Maybe for a similar reason I am watching "Wheel of Time" and finding it acceptable.

I know I am in a minority here but, I am quite enjoying the live action "Cowboy Bebop" I do not have any idea about the original Japanese cartoon series so I came to it fresh with no pre conceived ideas. The main cast seem to be enjoying themselves and the pace and set designs are very good. It looks like it is too much for the purists and has not been given a second series.
Maybe for a similar reason I am watching "Wheel of Time" and finding it acceptable.
Cowboy Bebop original (anime) was so far ahead of its time, it's crazy. Worth mentioning it pre-dated Firefly. But so far have not hated the live action remake enough to stop watching! Only 2 episodes in though.

Just finished The Blacklist - frequently as far-fetched as the proverbial bucket of sugar from China, but extremely well done. I believe there's a 9th season - I wonder how the show's going to continue after that finale.

Just finished The Blacklist - frequently as far-fetched as the proverbial bucket of sugar from China, but extremely well done. I believe there's a 9th season - I wonder how the show's going to continue after that finale.
It’s pretty ropey, the part animated ‘lock down’ episode was one of the worst things I’ve ever seen. Spader is very good though.

advertisement

Back