advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime III

Mmm, maybe. I could think of better choices but I suppose they have to sell the film. I thought it was a bit dull but it passed a couple of hours.

I don't watch that many films, and didn't even realise it was Cumberbatch, until near the end. It's value for me was that it did more than pass a couple of hours. I am still thinking about it.

You need to watch more films;)

I take your second point about Cumberbatch. But you seem to have missed the point made by AndyU which is what the film is about. And why I am still engaged with it.

I would like to watch more films, but I seem to have a huge list of not having got past the first ten minutes of Netflix offerings. They didn't engage my enthusiasm. I was greatly impressed by If Beale Street could Talk, which I saw last week. I player, I think. And I am only addressing your advice from my own point of view. Not making any point beyond that.

My Name - violent Korean goodies/baddies drama I just watched with my daughter on Canadian Netflix, pretty good if you like a strong female lead, which my daughter does :)

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but Lawrence Of Arabia is on IMBD TV (with adverts unfortunately) on Prime which comes with Britbox which you can get for 99p a month for three months.

The Red shoes is also on Prime and Black Narcissus BTW

My Dad saw Lawrence of Arabia when it was released at the Leicester Square Odeon cinema. He was living in Soho at the time. He always swears that the management turned up the heating in the theatre, to add to the atmosphere :)

Amazing film, I'm watching it right now, the sunrise scene and Omar Shariff riding across the desert are just spectacular.

I bought it years ago on DVD but this version on IMDB TV is pretty good too, think it's the full uncut version at about three and half hours long.

The adverts are not too bad BTW they only last seconds.

We watched Don't look up on Netflix last night. With a star-studded cast (Leonardo Di Caprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett), it pokes fun at all manner of American stereotypes and attitudes. I especially enjoyed the anti-science aspect that used the slogan "Don't look up", so that the comet coming to obliterate the Earth could be ignored, a bit the way the Covid pandemic is being ignored.

We watched Don't look up on Netflix last night. With a star-studded cast (Leonardo Di Caprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett), it pokes fun at all manner of American stereotypes and attitudes. I especially enjoyed the anti-science aspect that used the slogan "Don't look up", so that the comet coming to obliterate the Earth could be ignored, a bit the way the Covid pandemic is being ignored.
Just finished it. I thought it was superb, really enjoyable, makes you think, and laugh, some bits are scarily real. Mark Rylance does an incredible job as a barely disguised Elon Musk.

Just finished it. I thought it was superb, really enjoyable, makes you think, and laugh, some bits are scarily real. Mark Rylance does an incredible job as a barely disguised Elon Musk.
I also thought it was excellent & Rylance was utterly brilliant; took me a while to twig it was him. Make sure you watch to the end though as it has two endings post credits.

Yes, Don't look up is superb, excellent performances, great editing too, film of the year for me.

Just watched it too. Trump voting America won’t like it. A brilliant film, served by superb acting.
Was it really Streep at the end? :D

I also thought it was excellent & Rylance was utterly brilliant; took me a while to twig it was him. Make sure you watch to the end though as it has two endings post credits.
Thanks for that. I did see the first “extra” ending, but had missed the second. Now remedied!

Jagdesign, Yes, expensive, but there again my brother and his wife went to the cinema and it was 48 quid with a few cokes. It was expensive but my christmas day treat and I watched it all through. It was great to finally start to understand what the hell is going on and the cgi, effects acting were all great, it even sounded great I wonder if they send a different audio quality for rents.

Jagdesign, Yes, expensive, but there again my brother and his wife went to the cinema and it was 48 quid with a few cokes. It was expensive but my christmas day treat and I watched it all through. It was great to finally start to understand what the hell is going on and the cgi, effects acting were all great, it even sounded great I wonder if they send a different audio quality for rents.

Very true RE cinema costs. We’re down at my parents place at the moment - the TV has been so shite over the past few days, I may well follow suit!

Huge fan of Lawrence of Arabia, watched the film so many times

So awe inspiring when he goes back into the desert to rescue the chap who fell off the camel , and said "nothing is written" of course the local belief was that it was fate that he would die .

Some years ago I read 7 pillers of wisdom that he wrote and it's still compelling reading

advertisement

Back