advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The word on the street is that The Wee Man was filmed on location outside Glasgow because Strathclyde Police (or Police Scotland) vetoed filming on the grounds of public order. Could be media spin but I can see it being true as well.
I imagine the film ruffled a few feathers...

Been on a bit of a movie binge the last few days due to having a week of Amazon Prime for 99p. I can recommend all of the following:
- Whiplash (film about a jazz drummer student, - great soundtrack!)
- The Gentlemen
- Parasite
- Official Secrets
- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
- The Wee Man (film about Paul Ferris)
- Legend (film about the Krays)

Also I'm sure it will have been mentioned many times already on this thread but the Netflix drama 'The Queen's Gambit' is also captivating viewing.

The Gentlmen was good :) , The billboards had a crap ending :confused:

I watched Official Secrets on Amazon Prime last night - very good performance by Keira Knightley. I must confess that I didn't know about this whistleblower, who was sufficiently courageous to blow open the dishonesty about going to war in Iraq. In doing a bit of reading, I was saddened to find that, despite the charges being dropped (the prosecution would have been forced to make public the Government papers relating to the war, and that would have been too embarrassing for the Government), she was unable to find a job in the UK and now lives in Turkey (her husband's homeland). Sometimes there ain't no justice.

Can anyone tell me whether schitts creek is actually any good?

My partner and I are 9 episodes into season one and still waiting for some magic to happen. We've persevered because it received much praise and the episodes are so short!

So far it's been pretty lame. The premise is good but the script is very ordinary, it misses comedic open goals all of the time and the show suffers from an odd rhythm.

Should we stick it out or can you offer something better?

Scandi noir plays pretty well here but I think we've seen the best of that, good comedy and sci-fi very welcome too.

My partner and I are 9 episodes into season one and still waiting for some magic to happen. We've persevered because it received much praise and the episodes are so short!

So far it's been pretty lame. The premise is good but the script is very ordinary, it misses comedic open goals all of the time and the show suffers from an odd rhythm.

Scandi noir plays pretty well here but I think we've seen the best of that, good comedy and sci-fi very welcome too.

schiits creek is just that. Have you watched the Ozarks??

Thank you, will look into it and put it forward.

We did it the other way round - watched Ozarks.. really loved it, then watched Schmitt’s creek and it just lacked substance.. trying to be a comedy but failing and seemingly having no point. The Ozarks is about a guy who falls in with crims and starts money laundering for them... very clever and great characters.

I also just enjoyed all three series of Marcella as above, these are spread between sky and itvhub, so don’t know if you can get them?

If you like sci-fi then Mr Robot is interesting, if she could tolerate computing as a subject then halt and catch fire is also superb.

should be something there... I need similar recommendations please fishes - want to start something tonight...

We did it the other way round - watched Ozarks.. really loved it, then watched Schmitt’s creek and it just lacked substance.. trying to be a comedy but failing and seemingly having no point. The Ozarks is about a guy who falls in with crims and starts money laundering for them... very clever and great characters.

I also just enjoyed all three series of Marcella as above, these are spread between sky and itvhub, so don’t know if you can get them?

If you like sci-fi then Mr Robot is interesting, if she could tolerate computing as a subject then halt and catch fire is also superb.

should be something there... I need similar recommendations please fishes - want to start something tonight...
Terrific, thank you.

Your thoughts on schitts creek lead me to think you have sound judgement!

I really loved it but ultimately you have to buy in to the concept & appreciate the repeating standing jokes. A lot of the dialogue is improvised & the interactions particularly between Stevie & David are often on the cusp of cracking up.

Moira’s outfits & wigs, the way she randomly emphasises syllables.

The last series is brilliant, they do a version of Cabaret which is one of the greatest things ever seen on television.

Marcella is utter crap.

Ozark is brilliant, Laura Linney, what more does any man need.

Schitt’s Creek is a one off, bizarre, brilliant, original. Not sure I could get along with anybody who doesn’t like it (I have similar views on other touchstones like Seinfeld).

I really loved it but ultimately you have to buy in to the concept & appreciate the repeating standing jokes. A lot of the dialogue is improvised & the interactions particularly between Stevie & David are often on the cusp of cracking up.

Moira’s outfits & wigs, the way she randomly emphasises syllables

The last series is brilliant, they do a version of Cabaret which is one of the greatest things ever seen on television.
I read somewhere that the last season is good but it's like saying turkey twizzlers are really good after the fourteenth time!

A couple of the cast are quite good and its had a few moments, but really you can see what it should be and it's miles off.

Sorry to let it come between us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back