advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still enjoying Call My Agent on Netflix - now on series 2.

I only realised yesterday that I used to live about 50 metres from where their agency is set on rue St Honoré in Paris. My flat was opposite a Protestant church and I caught a glimpse of it in one of the exterior shots.

Got a year free with a phone but not used it at all, quick look and it seemed a confusing mess
I got a free subscription more than a year ago, which they have extended free, probably because not enough people are subscribing. I watched “The Morning Show” when it started to see what the fuss was about; it was squirminly bad, sanitized, made-by-committee for far too much money. I think I might have also watched a Tom Hawks movie about a battleship. There is nothing else of interest. I use Apple TV a lot to rent movies, that side of it is excellent, but I just don’t think they’ve got what it takes to make good tv. Can’t imagine why anyone would subscribe.

I got a free subscription more than a year ago, which they have extended free, probably because not enough people are subscribing. I watched “The Morning Show” when it started to see what the fuss was about; it was squirminly bad, sanitized, made-by-committee for far too much money. I think I might have also watched a Tom Hawks movie about a battleship. There is nothing else of interest. I use Apple TV a lot to rent movies, that side of it is excellent, but I just don’t think they’ve got what it takes to make good tv. Can’t imagine why anyone would subscribe.
No way I’d pay when the year is out.

Still enjoying Call My Agent on Netflix - now on series 2.

I only realised yesterday that I used to live about 50 metres from where their agency is set on rue St Honoré in Paris. My flat was opposite a Protestant church and I caught a glimpse of it in one of the exterior shots.

Me too - on Series 3 - I think it has a great balance of humour (a theatrical agent friend in London also finds it hysterical).

Anything descent you have to pay for
Anything decent on Apple+ ?
Looking forward to Foundation but can’t find anything appealing so far

Its so bad that they keep extending the free offer, which has just happened again for the third time and is now until July 2021. Apple are so far behind the curve in this sector they might as well scrap it and focus on other areas.

I'v found that Anything descent you have to pay for, which I'm not prepared to do - That said the following are still worth a watch and are free - Amazing Stories, For All Mankind and Defending Jacob. I did watch the Tom Hanks movie (Greyhound), it seemed like they were trying to replicate the look and style of the amazing HBO series Band of Brothers and the Pacific but failed miserably, it wasn't great at all.

I haven't really spent much time looking for anything else and rarely have I seen anyone recommend anything on there either. If you do come across anything worth watching let us know!

ATB

GB

Anything descent you have to pay for

Its so bad that they keep extending the free offer, which has just happened again for the third time and is now until July 2021. Apple are so far behind the curve in this sector they might as well scrap it and focus on other areas.

I'v found that Anything descent you have to pay for, which I'm not prepared to do - That said the following are still worth a watch and are free - Amazing Stories, For All Mankind and Defending Jacob. I did watch the Tom Hanks movie (Greyhound), it seemed like they were trying to replicate the look and style of the amazing HBO series Band of Brothers and the Pacific but failed miserably, it wasn't great at all.

I haven't really spent much time looking for anything else and rarely have I seen anyone recommend anything on there either. If you do come across anything worth watching let us know!

ATB

GB

The only thing I thought looked OK was For all Mankind which was a blatant uncredited rip off of the radio drama Red moon.

I hope the freebie lasts until Foundation.

Stephen

"The Dig", on Netflix. The story of the fantastic finds at Sutton Hoo in Suffolk before the second world war. Apart from an unnecessary fictional romance, it was brilliantly done. Ralph Fiennes as the amateur archaeologist Basil Brown is quite excellent and has the distinctive Suffolk accent off to a tee.
BBC Archive on Twitter posted a 1965 film interview with Basil Brown and one of his team. Worth watching if you've seen The Dig, or have any interest in Sutton Hoo.

I second the recommendation for 'The Dig', watched it yesterday evening, rather good. I did think though that the Rolleiflex looks a bit more recent than a 1939 model.

Last edited:
A possible non-period camera is very small beer compared to using the WRONG effing house. And I guess that the NT would not have been too keen on letting the film company use the real site for excavation.

Spycraft on Netflix is proving to be fascinating. A new series documenting a history of spying techniques and technology.

(The episodes are only half hour or so, so it’s easy to get through them quickly).

A thumbs up from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back