Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Discussion in 'off topic' started by tones, Jan 15, 2020.

1. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Same here. I enjoyed Hereditary, but too much is only revealed at the end, and seems to come from nowhere (maybe a second viewing would change my mind).

I think the director's second feature, Midsommar, is better. It's simultaneously more cohesive and wackier, and features a stunning central performance from Florence Pugh.

BLACKMASS likes this.
  2. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

Has The Third Day been mentioned yet?

Only 6 episodes and keeps you interested. A dark, easy paced tale.

3. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Midsummer reminded me of The Wicker Man. Same sense of dread.

droodzilla likes this.
  4. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

1917 on Prime was good

5. kanwar

kanwar pfm Member

Olive Ketteridge was very good. a TV series without fireworks but nevertheless compelling and....you know you're on to a winner if Frances McDormand is in it; in fact she has the lead role.

6. zygote23

zygote23 pfm Member

I loved Hereditary but hated Midsommar.....Style over substance for me.

droodzilla likes this.
  7. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Interesting. I thought Pugh's central performance gave Midsommar real emotional heft, especially as the overall arc of her relationship with her partner resolves towards the end of the movie. Plenty of emotional substance in Hereditary too but I got a bit tired of the "action" sequences, which seemed formulaic. I think both movies are too long and would benefit from a sharper edit.

8. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

...and plot....

tqineil likes this.
  9. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

Finished it just now, one of the best things I’ve watched all year, so what’s worth a go next?

Del monaco likes this.
  10. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

Just realised I've binge watched The Queen's Gambit on Netflix. I have a know weakness for redheads, but that aside, I rather enjoyed it.

11. tqineil

tqineil Ubi fides ibi lux et robur

must check it out

12. tqineil

tqineil Ubi fides ibi lux et robur

If you've an hour to spare there's always my film about WW1 war poet, Wilfred Owen ;)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7996170/

ff1d1l likes this.
  13. bernardhepworth

bernardhepworth pfm Member

This may have been mentioned before, but the Staircase is very watchable.

14. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

Suburra season 3 dropped today on US Netflix, and it is off to a flying start in episode 1!

AndyU and Woodface like this.
  15. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

That is next on my list! Great stuff. Makes Inspector Morse look rather tame.

16. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

Latest Borat, unless you’re a hardened fan, probably give it a miss.

Usual mix of (massively) cringy antics, the odd funny bit.

Shame, the first one I thought was very good.

17. Amber Audio

Not a fan of cringy/uncomfortable comedy, didn’t enjoy the majority of the first film. I never got into The Office either but a lot of folk really rated it.

Doing the Marvel series in order late at night when the Mrs has nodded off, DD1 done now on JJ1, I blame C19 :)

i take it you’re from or live in Castleford?

PhilofCas likes this.
  18. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

I can do cringe, but this took it to a whole new level, I love The Office btw.

Yes, from Castleford and still here, do you have connections? (Seeing that you’re half way round the world :D).

19. Amber Audio

Aye, family originally from Fryston & Goole - I lived in Airedale and Carlton for a while, in-between living Scotland. We moved back and forth until I left school and moved into a butt n ben with my Grandad near Aberdeen for a bit. Not been back down for a while but have been back a few times and stayed in York.

PhilofCas likes this.
  20. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

It’s a small world, I’m from Airedale, mum from Fryston. Just nipping out, will PM later if that’s OK, thanks.