advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is no-one big enough to admit to watching Season Four of The Crown? Season Four brings us Gillian Anderson as The Leaderene, but she plays her a bit too old IMHO. Chuck is still depicted as a wet weekend.

Is no-one big enough to admit to watching Season Four of The Crown? Season Four brings us Gillian Anderson as The Leaderene, but she plays her a bit too old IMHO. Chuck is still depicted as a wet weekend.

Watched the first episode last night. I agree about Anderson looking a bit too old, but she’s going to be playing the role over a fairly long period and her performance was terrifying - just like the real thing.

Yes, we watch The Crown, and very good it is too. I agree Gillian Anderson's take on Thatcher is not that great, it reduces her to a caricature. The girl who plays Diana's excellent though.

It’s only just started on Sunday!
I’m watching it.
Loving Tobias Menzies and Helena Bonham Carter playing Phil and Margaret.
I think Anderson is going to do well in it too.
Thought the stag scenes, CGI or not, were appalling.

I've been watching The Break on Netflix.

I was wary of its Belgian provenance, having been bored rigid by Salamander a few years ago. However, it's an excellent piece of sightly off-kilter noir, with more than a hint of True Detective (season 1) and Twin Peaks. It's quite baggy (there are lots of sub-plots) and builds slowly but really takes off in episode 6, which I saw last night. I'm now very intrigued to see how it the story is resolved.

Is no-one big enough to admit to watching Season Four of The Crown?

Of course. Agree with all the comments above. We remarked that now, rather than it being ‘history’ for us, the events are real. Mrs C and me were around at the time (of season 4’s content), and remember them vividly. 2 episodes seen, and a couple more tonight, I reckon.

Watched two last night. Thought Gillian Anderson had her mannerisms down to her walk off to a T

If the way they were treated at Balmoral is true snobbery starts at the very top

Watched two last night. Thought Gillian Anderson had her mannerisms down to her walk off to a T

If the way they were treated at Balmoral is true snobbery starts at the very top
And Thatcher was very mannered in her presentation. She was like a robot operated from afar.

It was completely made up.
At no time have the producers suggested it is true at all.
They even mess up a lot of the chronology so stuff like Balmoral they can let their imaginations run wild.

And Thatcher was very mannered in her presentation. She was like a robot operated from afar.
Yes, with someone who spoke in such an affected way it's difficult to mimic it without sounding implausible. It always puzzled me that Thatcher managed to have any kind of connection with the electorate while she spoke in that way. I think she did have lessons to tone it down a bit, but it was still very odd.

Yes, with someone who spoke in such an affected way it's difficult to mimic it without sounding implausible. It always puzzled me that Thatcher managed to have any kind of connection with the electorate while she spoke in that way. I think she did have lessons to tone it down a bit, but it was still very odd.
I could never take her seriously because of that. Her Spitting Image puppet was too real to be a caricature. Not sure how deliberate her persona was, ‘woman in a man’s world and all that but I just found her unearthly.Very odd.

I am a big fan of the Crown, it makes the Royals more likeable than they probably are. Princess Anne is the star of the piece for me.

I thought Gillian Anderson did a great take on Thatcher but she is much more attractive than Maggie.

I could never see the appeal of Thatcher but many did. I hated her at the time & still hate her politics but have a sneaking admiration for how hard she worked both to reach ‘the top’ & when she got there. She lacked compassion & empathy (like most Tories) it did for her in the end.

We like a bit of deference, a posh voice chuck in the bits of classics that you can remember and you're made. Thatch was a bit chippy about her middle class roots, she preferred everyone to think she was a grocer's daughter in the mold of a female Granville. On the other hand, we don't like people getting above themselves, so our leaders need to at least look like they are born to it - hence the makeovers.

Don't want anyone who looks like they may have had to buy their own furniture. Simply won't do.

Some nice seasonal rom coms, Blended (the kind of Adam Sandler movie that's good) and Holidate (warning - sweary). TBH we're suckers for romantic Xmas movies but these are our picks of the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back