advertisement

Reclocking USB signals - significant improvement !

I'm still pissed off with know it all farts who in reality know rather less than they think they do but that is just a general observation on life and not targeted at any one person. Happy now?
It's many of the same folks who are obsessed with their PoV. The world is colourful, not black or white, 0 or 1... Some feel the need to batter others into submission, censure discussion and only see the world as they want it to be. This is true for both extremes we find on the internet / forums / subjectivists & objectivists.

What we all need is a balanced perspective on life. Internet zealots run the risk of mental health issues...not because of their forum behaviour - it's not the cause but it is an effect and one that perpetuates their lack of perspective.

Chill, relax and smile when someone has a view you find contrary to your beliefs . Discuss it on occasion but not on every contentious thread....just my tuppenceworth.

I may be wrong but I'm often more skeptical when a one off OP post praises a new niche product and is swiftly followed by a Trade 'push'. It just appears to be a pattern. Maybe I'm being too skeptical.

For example, here is a test of a TEAC UD-501 DAC showing that fed from an ASUS motherboard's USB connector you get rather poor, audible levels of 8 kHz USB micro-frame interference on the analogue output. The test also shows that a $50 USB hub from Kensington can sufficiently remove that problem. But not all hubs do.

John -I don't know whether you noticed this at the end of Archimago's article you linked to- as I understand it the 8kHz was being picked up by the amp's analogue input (through RF pickup?) and does not come from the dac's own analogue output. All of which does not invalidate the potential improvement of a reclocker, but exonerates the dac and makes the use case a bit niche.

"Okay, to end off... Let me remind everyone one more time that what I'm measuring with the 8kHz noise here is because of the Emotiva XSP-1's sensitivity to noise through the "Home Theater Bypass" input. The 8kHz tone is NOT something I have ever heard / measured coming out of a reputable DAC's analogue outputs! Nor is it something that's found in Stereophile USB DAC measurements. If it were not for this noise sensitivity, I would not even have bothered with looking at ways to attenuate the computer USB noise. Nonetheless, I think this is an interesting real-life demonstration of the noise pollution that can come out of the computer's USB port and a solution that works reasonably well. I did not bother with jitter tests this time as I have never seen the Dunn J-Test change in any substantial fashion with the use of a hub with an asynchronous DAC (see the measurements last time). Think you have a jitter issue? Save up the cash and buy a better asynchronous USB DAC - forget cables and tweak products IMO."

Here is a link to the measurements for a Melco N10’s. You can see that in the case of the hub powered Chord Mojo and iFi Audio DSD there were large reductions in jitter and noise when using the Melco compared to the reviewers pc. They have tested other servers and the Project Audio endpoint with similar results. DACs with their own power supply seem to be less influenced. Not surprising really; whatever power comes out of the USB socket of a laptop is unlikely to be very clean, so using it to power a DAC is not likely to give the best possible results. Hence my speculating about the design of the Kii Control.

https://www.hifinews.com/content/melco-n10-n10pps10-network-audio-library-lab-report
1) I would love to know whether anyone decided to spring £6750 for a desktop computer to play through their £300 portable dac based on this article.
2) it's difficult to see this as anything more than an expensive 5v supply for the mojo ie it's difficult to know whether this provides any evidence that the datastream out of the melco contributes anything to the improved performance. I know you've made the point about the importance of the 5v to a usb powered dac, but I think it's worth bearing in mind that jitter sidebands in the dac output don't necessarily have to have anything to do with jitter in the datastream. I can't make head nor tail about what they say about the oppo sonica.

Some feel the need to batter others into submission, censure discussion and only see the world as they want it to be. This is true for both extremes we find on the internet / forums / subjectivists & objectivists.

What we all need is a balanced perspective on life. Internet zealots run the risk of mental health issues...not because of their forum behaviour - it's not the cause but it is an effect and one that perpetuates their lack of perspective.

Chill, relax and smile when someone has a view you find contrary to your beliefs . Discuss it on occasion but not on every contentious thread....just my tuppenceworth.

I thought I'd accidentally wandered into yet another brexit thread for a moment...

oops....sorry...missed the last sentence;)

Here is a link to the measurements for a Melco N10’s. You can see that in the case of the hub powered Chord Mojo and iFi Audio DSD there were large reductions in jitter and noise when using the Melco compared to the reviewers pc.

https://www.hifinews.com/content/melco-n10-n10pps10-network-audio-library-lab-report

Thanks. A quick look makes me think the main effect is due to the DAC doing the rendering being affected by the power supplied via USB not being totally clean. I couldn't see for certain this was J-test, but it looks like it. The problem then being that J-test isn't much like real music data patterns.

In effect, unless I've missed something, simply using a good USB external hub might alter or improve the observed results. FWIW when I've used USB powered DACs I've found that the best results came from using one particular type of mains powered hub. Not more costly than others, just a different design it would seem. This was measured via IQ-test, though.

Thanks. A quick look makes me think the main effect is due to the DAC doing the rendering being affected by the power supplied via USB not being totally clean. I couldn't see for certain this was J-test, but it looks like it. The problem then being that J-test isn't much like real music data patterns.

In effect, unless I've missed something, simply using a good USB external hub might alter or improve the observed results. FWIW when I've used USB powered DACs I've found that the best results came from using one particular type of mains powered hub. Not more costly than others, just a different design it would seem. This was measured via IQ-test, though.
I'd seen an article where the owner used a Kensington hub to good effect. A few pounds I think.

I''ve tended to use a cheap 4 way USB2 hub that is one of the models that CPC/Farnell sell. The risk, though, with the cheap hubs is that they do something like change the supplied wall wart PSU and although you bought the same part number you get different performance! Pest, but for obvious reasons the maker doesn't have audio in mind!

OK, as this is the Phoenix reclocker thread and to get the ball rolling before I feedback with my listening thoughts, the Phoenix reclocker is meant as an add on to the Innuos Zenith range of servers to take them on the way towards the performance and sound of the Statement server.

To understand the audience, can I have a little feedback first of all whether people generally accept that there is a difference in sound quality between the different Innuos servers and whether they agree that the sound of the Statement server is the best sound quality. It would perhaps be useful if people could say whether they have heard the Statemnet server and if so whether they were able to compare it to any others in the same system and using the same DAC etc?

advertisement

Back