advertisement

Razors

They are indeed. The quantity is tiny though. Most blades come with a blade safe pack, when you fill this it goes safely in the recycling. If you wanted to get creative you could cut a slot in a soup tin, eat the soup, wash it out and you'd be able to collect razors for ever. Bin the lot when you're ready. Coming soon to a Bessemer Converter near you. You can also buy blade safes that are attractive enough to keep in the bathroom.

When I worked in a council building there was a lady who had a box on her desk for everyone to come and deposit any redundant staples. I didn't quite know whether to admire her commitment to recycling or think she was a tiny bit mad.

I bought a razor from 'Primal Shave*' about a year ago for ~£15 iirc and a big pack of Astra blades, still go loads of them left. When I take a new blade out of the little waxed paper sleeve I put the old one back into it, and pop it in an old box until that's full, then put it in the bin. I should probably start putting them in the recycling but I was concerned about whether it was safe to do so.

* Looks like Primal Shave no longer exists / has gone down the pan

I'm sure that a cardboard box of blades is as safe as anything else in a waste stream. By the time it's separated into steel it's hardly going to be the only sharp edge in the pile of scrap, the furnace won't care as it turns it into the next round of fridge cases, cars or food cans.

advertisement

Back