advertisement

Razors

Yes, antiquated.

1. Do you think the majority of people take their old blades to the tip for recycling?
2. Do you think everything at the tip is recycled?
1. I think most who are into Wet Shaving do, it’s easy and safe to do so. You can’t just chuck them in the bin, it isn’t safe. I use a small tin, it holds an awful lot of used blades
2. No I don’t but it’s better than using Carts.

Yes, antiquated.

1. Do you think the majority of people take their old blades to the tip for recycling?

I put mine in a breath mints tin and they go in the metal recycling bin, presumably that gets recycled?

I put mine in a breath mints tin and they go in the metal recycling bin, presumably that gets recycled?

Possibly not. You should check how much your local council actually recycles out of what is put up for recycling. Mine is less than half. Greenwashing at its best.

Possibly not. You should check how much your local council actually recycles out of what is put up for recycling. Mine is less than half. Greenwashing at its best.
Still better than using Carts. Or perhaps you want me to set up my own Ironworks in the garden?

Yes, antiquated.

Not at all antiquated. You use only the bit that wears out, the amount of metal used is tiny, it's easy to recycle. You can't say the same about an electric razor.
1. What other people do is up to them. That's not in my sphere of influence, any more than the millions of electric razors in landfill are in yours.
2. Clean steel, like razor blades, has a good recycling rate, because it's easy. One electromagnet above the waste stream, into the steel bin. Once again, an electric razor won't do that.

Personally, electric shavers result in my getting in-grown hairs, this is why I returned to wet shaving.

Most electrics that people use today are rechargeable. How long do these last (the batteries fade over time) and what happens to the batteries and plastic when the shaver is done? Which process involves more carbon? (I don’t know but it’s not a given that electric is bound to be more environmentally friendly)

We could say they are recycled when used up, although mine is ten years old now and still going strong so not sure how long they last.

My general but not perfected rule is generally to remove any short use materials when alternatives are available.

I also remember that thread.
I'm still the same, using Gillette 3blade disposable heads, still have the same handle!
It's the fastest and easiest, decent shave, a morning chore in my book.
Along with either Gillette gel or a decent foam like Barbasol, applied by hands and I'm good to go.

I would change but I can't find my Bowie knife, which is just as well, saves me searching for my nose from a pool of blood :eek:

Not at all antiquated. You use only the bit that wears out, the amount of metal used is tiny, it's easy to recycle. You can't say the same about an electric razor.
1. What other people do is up to them. That's not in my sphere of influence, any more than the millions of electric razors in landfill are in yours.
2. Clean steel, like razor blades, has a good recycling rate, because it's easy. One electromagnet above the waste stream, into the steel bin. Once again, an electric razor won't do that.

1. answering a question that was not directed at you makes for a confusing read as it pollutes the conversation that was intended. I realise you’re good at that from other threads but its strange.
2. Yes I agree, but you've even
mentioned you’ve been using disposals, one of the biggest polluters. These should most definitely been banned.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
1. answering a question that was not directed at you makes for a confusing read as it pollutes the conversation that was intended. I realise you’re good at that from other threads but its strange.
How am I supposed to know to whom the answer is directed? I ask about razors, 3 posts in you say "antiquated" without any further qualification or any quote. If that's not directed at me, for whom is it intended?
2. Yes I agree, but you've even
mentioned you’ve been using disposals, one of the biggest polluters. These should most definitely been banned.
Yes, I was using disposables because at intervals I was flying every week to get to work (yes, I know, you can look down your nose at me for that as well, should you wish, but I can hardly walk to Ireland or France) an open razor blade was obviously a no-no. I'm now asking about DE razors, as is clear.

How am I supposed to know to whom the answer is directed? I ask about razors, 3 posts in you say "antiquated" without any further qualification or any quote. If that's not directed at me, for whom is it intended?

Yes, I was using disposables because at intervals I was flying every week to get to work (yes, I know, you can look down your nose at me for that as well, should you wish, but I can hardly walk to Ireland or France) an open razor blade was obviously a no-no. I'm now asking about DE razors, as is clear.

The quote function generally shows who the reply is to.

You could have gone full on hipster for the week! I reckon it would suit you :)

The quote function generally shows who the reply is to.
Precisely, and your reply has no quote.

You could have gone full on hipster for the week! I reckon it would suit you :)
I have done on occasion. In fact sometimes for years at a time. It's a bit of a mountaineer trope. As I say though if I grow a beard I have to mess about with beard snoods in the factory and that's just a pain. Glasses start steaming up, and by the time you have worked out the right colour coat for where you are going, right wellies, hairnet, Covid mask, ear plugs, hard hat, you've forgotten what you went in for.

I will confess I shave Sunday night to avoid dicking about at stupid o'clock on Monday, so by COP Monday I am starting to look a bit rugged.

Anyway, @stevec67, do you want a nice thing (that feather is a nice for £13 thing) or something more luxurious? Do you like an aggressive feel during the shave, or a softer sort of experience. Note that the softer feel needn’t mean a less efficient/smooth shave.

Anyway, @stevec67, do you want a nice thing (that feather is a nice for £13 thing) or something more luxurious? Do you like an aggressive feel during the shave, or a softer sort of experience. Note that the softer feel needn’t mean a less efficient/smooth shave.
That's a bit more like it, a positive contribution. Thank you.
I want something to go in the travel bag, ideally with a box or bag so it doesn't savage me when I'm looking for something else.
I'm not bothered about luxury, or something to display my taste and sophistication to the room cleaner. It's just a razor.
I don't want a razor that I have to handle like a chainsaw on full throttle, my old Gillette needs a little more care than a modern multi blade lubri glide auto polish you'll be beating them off with a shitty stick sunshine version, but it's not savage.

Flutteringwow has been ejected for offering precisely nothing but noise…

I’ve got one of the Feather razors. I’ll dig it out later and give it a go. I seem to recall it was very light and very mild.

advertisement

Back