advertisement

Razors

I've tried lots of razors over the years. The Merkur 34C is the easiest, least dangerous of the lot. Certainly less "cutty" than vintage Gillette razors.

We could say they are recycled when used up, although mine is ten years old now and still going strong so not sure how long they last.

My general but not perfected rule is generally to remove any short use materials when alternatives are available.
I’m far from convinced the electric shavers are more green than DE. Unless you’re a collector it’s likely that one DE razor will last you a lifetime or two razors max. Electric razors still use consumables, yes less frequently than a DE but the DE consumables are simpler to produce and are to a standard so are interchangeable. Plastic is involved with electric razors and new tooling for each new model, none of that is a good thing and batteries aren’t great vs using hand power shave.

That's a bit more like it, a positive contribution. Thank you.
I want something to go in the travel bag, ideally with a box or bag so it doesn't savage me when I'm looking for something else.
I'm not bothered about luxury, or something to display my taste and sophistication to the room cleaner. It's just a razor.
I don't want a razor that I have to handle like a chainsaw on full throttle, my old Gillette needs a little more care than a modern multi blade lubri glide auto polish you'll be beating them off with a shitty stick sunshine version, but it's not savage.

How about something like this:

https://www.connaughtshaving.com/46002.html

wp7f2bf141_05_06.jpg

wp99a34cee_05_06.jpg

It’s a Merkur, so highly unlikely to bite you. Not sure the supplied blades are up to much(they look like Personna, which I don’t get on with tbh) but I have a reasonable selection so could make up a little pack for you to try out and see if you like a particular one?

I got into all this, another money wasting fad to add onto the long list. I have a Merkur Futur somewhere and a stash of Feathers.

I got into all this, another money wasting fad to add onto the long list. I have a Merkur Futur somewhere and a stash of Feathers.

I can mostly resist the Shiny so don’t have too many razors, and got most of them FoC or at very advantageous prices, ditto brushes.

My particular rabbit hole is shaving soaps, especially artisanal ones. I’ve got at least 5 years supply of those and SWMBO has put her foot down so I can only get new ones as gifts or when one runs out. I’m mostly going along with that so far…

I mostly use Taylor of Old Bond St shaving cream, and have a small stash of blades that would probably last me about five years were I to let them diminish. Some are favourites like Polsilvers and the Black Treets. Feathers are ok, got quite a few, but they do tend to cut me, I get more nicks with them than any other. Green and Black Gillettes too work well for me, but perhaps not as smooth as others. I also like my pot of Mitchell’s Wool Fat soap, and will stock up on Proraso when I go to Italy next summer if we’re actually allowed to go!

I can mostly resist the Shiny so don’t have too many razors, and got most of them FoC or at very advantageous prices, ditto brushes.

My particular rabbit hole is shaving soaps, especially artisanal ones. I’ve got at least 5 years supply of those and SWMBO has put her foot down so I can only get new ones as gifts or when one runs out. I’m mostly going along with that so far…

I just can't be arsed with the faff of it all TBH. Hence used a handful of times and consigned to the pile of tat, along with all the other fad stuff.

I mostly use Taylor of Old Bond St shaving cream, and have a small stash of blades that would probably last me about five years were I to let them diminish. Some are favourites like Polsilvers and the Black Treets. Feathers are ok, got quite a few, but they do tend to cut me, I get more nicks with them than any other. Green and Black Gillettes too work well for me, but perhaps not as smooth as others. I also like my pot of Mitchell’s Wool Fat soap, and will stock up on Proraso when I go to Italy next summer if we’re actually allowed to go!

I like the Indian Gillette 7 O’clocks, the green ones closely followed by the Blacks. Polsilvers are good too, and I have a small stash of the Łódź ones. Never got on with Feathers, horrible first pass and then they’re over and done with after a couple of shaves.

TK Maxx have had Proraso stuff in lately…

Proraso is great. My fave so far is Geo F Trumper closely followed by Taylor of Bond Street. What more obscure products are in this league or better?

I have discovered, only this morning, that getting to round 2 of a Chemo course has eliminated the need to shave at all....

I arrived on pfm at around the time the big shaving thread(s?) were running, thinking 'what a strange lot, getting in a tizz about razors and brushes and foams and whatnot'. Yet here I am still.

I used Gillette Fusion for years - got fed up of the sheer cost of the refills - so now use Harry's which works well enough and is a heck of a sight cheaper!

another vote for the 34c. Very small, great balance. I usually use an Astra blades and with this razor very comfortable shave without a lot of effort.

Proraso is great. My fave so far is Geo F Trumper closely followed by Taylor of Bond Street. What more obscure products are in this league or better?

off the top of my head…

Saponificio Varesino: https://www.saponificiovaresino.com/svstore/en/

Phoenix & Beau: https://www.phoenixandbeau.uk/

Signature Soaps: https://signaturesoaps.co.uk/product-category/shaving-soaps-and-creams/

Barrister & Mann: https://www.barristerandmann.com/

There’s loads and loads of them. Trumpers and TOBS are really good, but there’s plenty of really good alternatives.

Proraso preshave creme is wonderful. Can be used as aftershave & moisturiser too.

Yes I have a pot of the green one I use after shave often. I put the aftershave on then a bit of that. Sometimes the other way round. Don’t last very long though. I do like Taylor’s Sandalwood and also although I’m rather ashamed to admit their Eton College. I have the Lime one as well. I sometimes worry I’m turning into an old man then I pretend I’m really a hipster without the beard…

I use the 500ml bladder of Proraso cream (which I decant into a pot and apply with a boar brush). In fact, I just bought two with torn boxes for £15.

The correct answer from an ecological point of view is to grow a long beard and then cut that and use the trimmings to make a warming fire or possibly a duvet.

Or a hair shirt - which would seem to be the clothing artefact of choice for some on here.. :)

advertisement

Back