advertisement

Razors

I alternate between an old Gillette Fatboy and a 1950s Super speed. The latter is a touch less harsh on my skin.

Brush wise I have a Semogue 610 Excelsior Boar Bristle Shaving Brush and a
Semogue 830 Hereditas Boar Bristle Shaving Brush, both of which I use daily.

For blades I've been using for years Feather new hi-stainless.

Soapwise I'm a convert to a Korean brand, Innisfree Forest. Love the stuff.

Highly recommend the Edwin Jagger 3one6,might be a bit aggressive for some,the Merkur progress is also worth a mention starting on a mild blade setting, also look out for vintage Gillettes like the English made Aristocrat

I got into all this, another money wasting fad to add onto the long list. I have a Merkur Futur somewhere and a stash of Feathers.
It's a question of degree. You can spend money on anything you want, or not. I have one DE razor and a box of blades, along with Palmolive shaving soap at 50p a stick or Proraso at £2 and a brush that was £3. That's me for 10 years.

How about something like this:

https://www.connaughtshaving.com/46002.html

wp7f2bf141_05_06.jpg

wp99a34cee_05_06.jpg

It’s a Merkur, so highly unlikely to bite you. Not sure the supplied blades are up to much(they look like Personna, which I don’t get on with tbh) but I have a reasonable selection so could make up a little pack for you to try out and see if you like a particular one?
That's very nice, and it meets the brief perfectly, but £54? That's a bit real, sorry.

Call me a cheapskate, but I've just seen a new, genuine Wilkinson Sword 7 o'clock delivered to the door for £4, and ordered one. It's in a pack and I think you even get a blade or two. I'll have it this week. I can explore the alternatives at my leisure. Thanks all.

Gillette Power Fusion gives me a close, fast, safe shave, with the only downside being cost.

Fortunately, since retiring, I only shave about twice a week and the blade carts are lasting longer.

I use a Gillette slim that I got off the auction site ten years ago for $5, feather blades, and a brush my girlfriend bought me for Christmas 2000.

however I recently bought a straight razor from about 1900 and I’m getting ready to have a crack at that. Pretty eco if you don’t fall down the rabbit hole of strops, soaps and all that.

I use a Gillette slim that I got off the auction site ten years ago for $5, feather blades, and a brush my girlfriend bought me for Christmas 2000.

however I recently bought a straight razor from about 1900 and I’m getting ready to have a crack at that. Pretty eco if you don’t fall down the rabbit hole of strops, soaps and all that.
Have you found anywhere to get it professionally sharpened? I inherited my dad's 1940s navy issue cutthroat and if I can get it fettled properly I fancy giving it a go.

Have you found anywhere to get it professionally sharpened? I inherited my dad's 1940s navy issue cutthroat and if I can get it fettled properly I fancy giving it a go.

There’s a guy here in New Zealand who does it but if you’re in the UK there are quite a few as there’s been a resurgence in recent years.
If you search “razor honing [your city]” you might find someone local, if not, “razor honing uk” should give plenty of options.

alternatively you could ask on https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/

I’m still using an Edwin Jagger with Astra platinum blades and TOBS soap. Very satisfied with this, no desire to change.

Well, got home tonight to a Gillette 7 o'clock, delivered with a blade for less than £4. I gave it a test drive. Decent shave. It's not much to look at, just plastic and pressed steel, but it works. It fits the brief completely in that it does the job and if I leave it in a hotel room it's cost me the same as a pint and I don't much care. Recommended.

Bought a gate type razor during lockdown one from some online artisanal type company (possibly based in Nottingham?). Nice weight and balance to it ...
Use Wilkinson blades and Erasmic shaving soap that I buy in bulk from our local Boyes store when they have them in stock. Brush is horsehair from the Body Shop (Xmas present from daughter a few years back)

Electric razors make my face glow in the dark for a few hours - can't abide 'em :mad:

In Winter I grow a tache/goatee combo and sheer it ceremoniously in Spring.

bollocks to shaving in the winter, stubble trimmer here

only complaint is after shave seems different but still splash it all over

The blades are stainless steel, 100% re-cyclable.
They are indeed. The quantity is tiny though. Most blades come with a blade safe pack, when you fill this it goes safely in the recycling. If you wanted to get creative you could cut a slot in a soup tin, eat the soup, wash it out and you'd be able to collect razors for ever. Bin the lot when you're ready. Coming soon to a Bessemer Converter near you. You can also buy blade safes that are attractive enough to keep in the bathroom.

advertisement

Back