advertisement

Raven One part II

stupid me.

I've had my R for a couple of years - during that time it has never been much like level. friday i levelled it, well close enough. does it make a difference, hell yes. like i said stupid me.

this week i have the new 12 inch jelco going on and a new preamp - bought on a whim whilst drunk, for a change. it's a music first copper pre, that i'm led to believe is a good match for the ice mono's. i'll let you know either way. at least my electric bill will come down as the ls2 is always hot to touch.

Must stop buying hifi.

I should heed that advise too.:p

Which ICE monoblocks (what input impedance) are you using and with what speakers? Will your Music First Copper pre has the 6dB gain switch?

don't know ( 500 into 8) and yes i think so

That's the power rating.

The gain switch should be handy. I asked because i use a Promitheus Audio Reference C-Core TVC passive pre with a pair of Bel Canto Ref 1000 (Mk1 with the low input impedance of the stock ICE module ) driving a pair of insensitive standmount speakers. Not a good match in my case, lacking gain and dynamic but yours should be fine if MF had a look at your set up/spec.

in my opinion no LP12 (haven't heard the keel yet) doesn't have a chance against the Raven One - and i do have an ittoked LP12.

about the "big" clamp: i didn't like it either. the music was so a lot more dynamic and lively without it. you don't have to buy it - it's an extra.

christian

Christian, love to hear a recording of your deck of something in common on my Bake-off thread. I'd be curious of how it compares. :)

john
i have poor phono - minijack cables _ and a macbook. which software am i supposed to use?

regards
+christian

I use Audacity which is freeware. Do a search on the audio forum for tips on how to get it going or ask on the Bake-off thread. Not sure how definitive the recordings are but I find it interesting to hear other decks. It sure is convenient to compare back and forth with the recordings I've accumulated so far. I'm just using a female rca to mini jack adapter to my longer interconnect
to hook up to the tape output to mic input on my soundcard. I record at 16bit/44.4kH outputting wav files and they sound pretty decent.

Good luck, happy to help with any further questions.

Regards,
John

interim question:

MATS (again - i know)

anybody still using their millenium mats? i ditched them months ago (they add somthing slightly artificial) and play directly on the platter. do stop the platter after each side to prevent dust scratching the underneath side.

are there any new mat candidates to try out?

regards
+christian

ps> has the SLATE arrived ;) ?

I was at GT today getting my jelco fitted ( lovely). We had a chat about mats , and now no mat! I did get a TT (slip) mat in the post with the revinyl of songs remain the same - in the recycling I'm afraid.

I was demonstrated the top TW Acoustics deck both with and without the Millennium mat. Myself and an other both significantly preferred it without.

BF

Slate won't be with me for a couple of weeks. afterward I might try those oher feet. btw the jelco 12 is on , sounds great and what a handsome beast!

the MF pre is here too - early signs are good. for tt the +6dba switch is more than useful. Anybody want a couple of rothwell xlr attenuators?

Hi all

I have my slate slab on order finally. should be with me next week. I wondered if those of you that have the Raven on 30mm slate can say what the sonic impact is. Once it's arrived and i have my head around it the intention is to try the still point feet...and then stop buying hifi!

I've put FIM rollerblocks under my slate slab for additional isolation, and with the cart on the playing surface you can give the uprights of the rack a hefty flick (hard enough to hurt) and not hear it through the speakers at normal volume settings. The poor old Quadraspire is probably at it's load limit...

3883396629_6bb5e111a0.jpg

more little isolation thingies! - i was i intent of just placing the slate on my cabinet and then leveling with cork or similar.

john

why don't you level with the raven feet? do you have mm-feet? they are very easy to level.

i would dampen the slate on the cabinet (felt, cork or whatever)

regards
+bf

good plan - I'll use cork between the slate and the table top , use some of it to level the table top and then use the feet for the rest of the levelling, back to the questions- what's it going to sound like!

advertisement

Back