advertisement

Raven One part II

Typhoon in a beer glass or it's Farenheit451's sly way to revive an old thread.:p

B*ll*cks....... I wasn't even aware it was an "old Thread" - just happened to tune in at that point.

For the record, I don't think there's any harm whatsoever in keeping an eye on a product for possible defects or misrepresentation.
Neither is there any harm in asking a manufacturer to rectify it or investigate it if something is going wrong rather than cheerfully ignoring it or sweeping it under the carpet.
Anyone on the Thread who is against the innocent principle described above has questionable motives.

Many thanks for your encouraging testimony BTW Christian...this is the sort of relevant feedback I was looking for in the first place...

Christian.....by coincidence, when I put forward the 5 questions I intended to add the levelling question too....but Grivois looks far too sensible to miss something like that :)

Hi Grivois,
Yes...I had a feeling you had some engineering expertise! :)
Like yourself I tend to focus on the engineering issues only. I think when you've shelled out £3500 for a motor unit as the basis for a turntable and a fellow-user reveals new information, it makes sense to take any potential problem seriously and investigate?

It's great when a Thread has only a strong "feel-good factor" but inevitably with any product there will be perceived problems at times.
Kind regards...................................F451.

john
i still have the supplied mm-feet (new R1s now have TW's special stillpoint feet if i remember that right).
the surface your tt sits is more important - slate is recommended.
regards
BF

Hi BF

My R sits on top of a pine cabinet that I'm not sure is quite man enough for a slate slab. You never know I might try sitting on it to see what happens!

i can borrow some of the new feet - i might do that

I have just received a slate slab for my raven 1 and the results are excellent. It sits on the Naim Fraim. Will take some pics in the next day or so.

jim....

the feet give a "little" bit more definition - the mm feet are a "tad" warmer.

the difference with a slate slab are a lot bigger. paid around 100 EUR for it.

i am in the process of upgrading my phono pre - heard the SL - not bad but which psu??

a whestPS.30R is on the way to berlin ;) this is supposed to be very very nice.

regards

BF

BF

Believe or not there is slate stone masons at the end of my road. What thickness would you reccomend - they start at 20mm

john
not all slate sounds the same ;) ;)
fyi: my slate sits spiked on 30mm of birch multiplex. it's a good idea to damp it furthermore if it sits somewhere unspiked.

regards
+christian

Mine's going to sit unspiked on top of re-claimed pine cabinet
just been to the stone masons, spent an hour in their listening room and can say that all slate sounds the same.

I'm also going to replace the foundations of my house with stillpoints, albiet the large size.

the feet give a "little" bit more definition - the mm feet are a "tad" warmer.

the difference with a slate slab are a lot bigger. paid around 100 EUR for it.

i am in the process of upgrading my phono pre - heard the SL - not bad but which psu??

a whestPS.30R is on the way to berlin ;) this is supposed to be very very nice.

regards

BF

BF...you'll find the Whest 0.3 is massive for a phono stage - in a certain light it can make the Raven look small. The Whest is so recently installed I haven't even tried mine yet. (Installing a new cart to freshen up the system which is the reason for the delay.... :)

thanks f451

the whest has already arrived - not bad ;) very high res very large stage.

how do you mean that with making the Raven look small? do you think the stage is over the top for this tt? one thing is sure - it sucks the last bit out of my brand new shelter 301. sounds at least like a 501 without the surface noise.

the 301 is by far my favourite cart so far. worked like a treat on the highcapped superline. i think the sl is more gentle to mediocre recordings. you simply can't listen to ECM the whole day - can you?

i will give the whest another 48 hrs before "critical" listening begins. the superline is the benchmark so far...

regards
BF

I managed two sides of keith jarratt without the kids moaning this morning - they can't listen to ECM all day either

stupid me.

I've had my R for a couple of years - during that time it has never been much like level. friday i levelled it, well close enough. does it make a difference, hell yes. like i said stupid me.

this week i have the new 12 inch jelco going on and a new preamp - bought on a whim whilst drunk, for a change. it's a music first copper pre, that i'm led to believe is a good match for the ice mono's. i'll let you know either way. at least my electric bill will come down as the ls2 is always hot to touch.

Must stop buying hifi.

thanks f451

the whest has already arrived - not bad ;) very high res very large stage.

how do you mean that with making the Raven look small? do you think the stage is over the top for this tt? one thing is sure - it sucks the last bit out of my brand new shelter 301. sounds at least like a 501 without the surface noise.

the 301 is by far my favourite cart so far. worked like a treat on the highcapped superline. i think the sl is more gentle to mediocre recordings. you simply can't listen to ECM the whole day - can you?

i will give the whest another 48 hrs before "critical" listening begins. the superline is the benchmark so far...

regards
BF

Hi Christian,
No, that was a reference to the physical size of the cabinet, which is on the large side for a SS phono stage :eek: (I had to get the tape measure out and re-check the shelf dimensions before shoe-horning it in) :D

Thanks for the early critique.....that gives me something to look forward to while I wait for the Royal Mail to deliver some VDH headshell leads. ;)
Best regards..........................f451.

advertisement

Back