advertisement

Question Time

I only caught a bit of it as I was in the kitchen when QT started, but Fiona Bruce said something along the lines that the audience had been selected to represent current national political balance, i.e. more Conservatives than anyone else (how the hell they managed that in Liverpool which is red right from the city centre out to Chester is beyond me!). If they really are now selecting audience numbers on biased FPTP outcomes it can’t be viewed as anything other than propaganda. It is just bollocks. If they are selecting on national voteshare I can kind of understand that, but that begs the question WTF have the BBC been doing platforming unelected hard-right shit like Farage, Tice, Kate Andrews etc week in week out?

PS If I misheard/misinterpreted this someone please correct me. It was just one quick sentence right at the start, but it struck me as very significant.

I only caught a bit of it as I was in the kitchen when QT started, but Fiona Bruce said something along the lines that the audience had been selected to represent current national political balance, i.e. more Conservatives than anyone else (how the hell they managed that in Liverpool which is red right from the city centre out to Chester is beyond me!). If they really are now selecting audience numbers on biased FPTP outcomes it can’t be viewed as anything other than propaganda. It is just bollocks. If they are selecting on national voteshare I can kind of understand that, but that begs the question WTF have the BBC been doing platforming unelected hard-right shit like Farage, Tice, Kate Andrews etc week in week out?

PS If I misheard/misinterpreted this someone please correct me. It was just one quick sentence right at the start, but it struck me as very significant.
A fvcking disgrace if so.

Just reran the beginning and I heard it right; “audience selected to reflect the current political picture, so that’s more Conservatives than Labour and a smaller number of other parties”. No mention as to whether that is based in the absurdly biased FPTP system or voteshare though. Regardless the BBC clearly seem to be trying to shift the overton window rightward.

Just reran the beginning and I heard it right; “audience selected to reflect the current political picture, so that’s more Conservatives than Labour and a smaller number of other parties”. No mention as to whether that is based in the absurdly biased FPTP system or voteshare though. Regardless the BBC clearly seem to be trying to shift the overton window rightward.
They know what side their bread’s buttered on. Johnson won’t even have to threaten them with abolishing the license fee, they’ll come to heel as soon as he whistles.

Funny, I did a removal for a BBC programmer a few months back, she said you can't win with the political bias argument. You won't believe the amount of hoops they have to jump through to make sure what they broadcast is as balanced as possible. You won't believe this but she said they had far more complaints about anti Brexit bias before the referendum!

In the morning a few days ago the BBC website had a photo of Johnson at Stormont taken at an angle that placed a Chandelier behind his head. Mildly amusing but the photo was taken down an hour later and replaced with something more statesman like.

Then we have Stanley Johnson on the BBC news with the presented fawning all over him.

Now QT supporting a dominant political view rather than a spectrum of political views.

Is the BBC fit for purpose?

It's no surprise. That BBC is a tory propaganda tool and it's going to get worse. Sadly, there is probably only one way it's going to end because it's now too late to make any headway against the anti-Labour media onslaught. The chance was last month and people blew it. I can't imagine the average person reading the tory press as well as being glued to the BBC resisting the propaganda, so we're stuck with this swing to the far right.

I can imagine quite a few will be nodding in agreement with the post here from Tony that QT is a disgrace, ironic that some will be those who could not support Labour at the last GE and loudly shouted the party down. Even when a bright spotlight was (and still is) shining on what the tories have been getting upto since 2010 was recognised, many members here STILL would not (and will not) support the only party that realistically could have won an election against the tories under FPTP.

The Labour manifesto was a way forward for our country out of the mess created by the tories. Notice that now, with the move to a new party leader, Labour is giving in to the media propaganda that says the manifesto was not deliverable, was not affordable. Trouble is, that's a lie, there is plenty of money in this country but the media infuence is huge and those that run the show don't want to spend on initiatives in the Labour manifesto.

Funny, I did a removal for a BBC programmer a few months back, she said you can't win with the political bias argument. You won't believe the amount of hoops they have to jump through to make sure what they broadcast is as balanced as possible. You won't believe this but she said they had far more complaints about anti Brexit bias before the referendum!
Ah, story time.

Funny, I overheard a tory MP recently. You won't believe this but it said grabbing all the tax payers money for the tories and the well off was only possible with the help of the BBC never picking them up for their lies while broadcasting lies about any opposition.

Jesus, you lot and QT. Don't watch it!

It reaches 2 million (likely exaggerated) most of whom are will be entrenched and/or very old. Occasionally when a big issue arises like Iraq vote - it got up to 3.8M. The only time it ever gets a big audience is when there is a gimmick guest - nearly 9 million wanted to see Nick Griffin, either because they are Nigel Farage or to see him get toasted. Again, hardly floating vote. The people that parties win elections with don't watch this crap.

It reaches 2 million (likely exaggerated) most of whom are will be entrenched and/or very old. Occasionally when a big issue arises like Iraq vote - it got up to 3.8M. The only time it ever gets a big audience is when there is a gimmick guest - nearly 9 million wanted to see Nick Griffin, either because they are Nigel Farage or to see him get toasted. Again, hardly floating vote. The people that parties win elections with don't watch this crap.
Right. Old people don't vote Tory.

I love the displays of finger jabbing white rage. The tight little mouths with bared rodentine teeth, the bulging eyes and a shade of red that says they’re one blood pressure tablet away from an explosion. They usually always chirrup straight from the UKIP leaflet or wot David Littlejohn says. The poor sod sat in front of them having to wipe the spit off the back of their neck.

I didn't.

Right. Old people don't vote Tory.
I didn't.

Your point being? Because that was my point.
The point is that maybe there's some connection between old people tending towards the right and the producers of the media they consume doing everything they can to keep them in a state of rage and resentment 100% of the time. The Telegraph, The Mail, The Times, The Sun? Why worry about such things! Only old Tories read them! Question Time? What of it! BBC News? Only old people still watch the television!

I try and avoid QT now, but last night, I noticed this horrible person who I think was the token Tory MP. She got all excited when spouting how Britain was going to be great, and reeled off so many Johnson catchphrases that I expect she hopes she is next in line when Carrie is past her sell-by date. I thought she was going to wet herself. Possibly did.

The point is that maybe there's some connection between old people tending towards the right and the producers of the media they consume doing everything they can to keep them in a state of rage and resentment 100% of the time. The Telegraph, The Mail, The Times, The Sun? Why worry about such things! Only old Tories read them! Question Time? What of it! BBC News? Only old people still watch the television!

Still not getting your point, my failing I’m sure. What’s changed? That was always QT for me which is why I don’t watch it.

It's no surprise. That BBC is a tory propaganda tool and it's going to get worse. Sadly, there is probably only one way it's going to end because it's now too late to make any headway against the anti-Labour media onslaught. The chance was last month and people blew it. I can't imagine the average person reading the tory press as well as being glued to the BBC resisting the propaganda, so we're stuck with this swing to the far right.
The fools blew the one chance they had! Damn them all to hell!! You'd think the free internet might have swung it.

Really?
Old people watching shite

Ike the masked singer?
Love Island?
I’m a Celebrity?
Come Dine With Me?
Naked Attraction?
Real Housewives of Cheshire?
8 Out of 10 Cats and its shite spinoffs?

And dozens of others aimed at the brain dead yoof market.

I’m just surprised Alan Partridge’s Monkey Tennis didn’t make it to pilot.

Last edited:
I find that I have become one of those people who is “not interested in politics” which is odd because until very recently I was very engaged. I gave up 20 years of LP membership a couple of years ago an now wonder if I will bother to vote next time. I’ve stopped watching question time and I catch Newsnight less often. The tables have turned, Britain doesn’t seem like a place I can be proud of any longer and I just don’t have the energy.

I find that I have become one of those people who is “not interested in politics” which is odd because until very recently I was very engaged. I gave up 20 years of LP membership a couple of years ago an now wonder if I will bother to vote next time. I’ve stopped watching question time and I catch Newsnight less often. The tables have turned, Britain doesn’t seem like a place I can be proud of any longer and I just don’t have the energy.

eggg by Mike Van, on Flickr

advertisement

Back