advertisement

Question Time

So how would you differentiate between Roma,Traveller and Gypsy ?

PM. me if it is going off topic.

as always, google is your friend. Much better than some bloke on the internets...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....-gypsies-travellers-and-roma-8609751.html?amp

Basically two different ethnic groups, the Roma originate in Eastern Europe, the 2010 article you linked to is in my opinion the start of the sort of thinking and scapegoating that has led us to where we are now. The Traveller/Gypsy (as stereotyped on My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding) is of Irish origins, a lot of them came over during the industrial revolution to make money building things.

Anyway, my second reported post of the day, and about my 4th ever. .

You report posts ! ?

It's a hifi/music forum....don't you think you are taking it all a little too seriously ?

To misquote Billy Bragg you are not the policeman of human kindness and trying to be will ruin your day/year/life.

You'll be banning people who say nasty things about your football club next. ;)

I think this post says more about you than it does about me. Would you have been so comfortable making that comment if the original posts referenced black heritage?

FWIW, I generally remove and hoof from threads anyone who references the word Pikey, or makes similarly generic and culturally illiterate comments about all gypos, etc. Thankfully this is a civilised place. It seldom happens. I know the other mods do too.

I will freely acknowledge the problems some people of this heritage cause, however, don’t tar them all with the same brush. It’s only some, a small handful, not all of them.

As for football, the last person I removed from that thread was a fan of my team.

You can put a smiley on your post all you like, it sounds like you are questioning my integrity and whether the challenging of a racial stereotype was necessary.

Regards
Richard

Me Lord.

I was trying to lighten it up just a touch. It seems that people on here have edged far too much toward hatred on both sides...due , no doubt , to Brexit/election.

The 'left' on here seem to me to be far more bitter nasty and hate filled towards the 'right' than the 'right' are back.

The 'right' come out with utter generalised bollox but the 'left' like to be personal in their abuse.

Maybe a touch more moderation of the left on here and the place wouldn't have descended into a name calling bear pit.?

ps..didn't see the post you deleted before you deleted it so I am commenting ( and originally posted ) without the context of that.

Isn’t it drearily depressing to find it’s the same posters who are sailing close to the wind with their borderline xenophobic/ racist/ prejudiced attitudes who are also the more active/ vocally pro Tory/ Boris ones?I’d hoof them all tbh.History has taught us where these attitudes lead and anyone saying similar things about the Jewish community quite rightly wouldn't still be here. The Jews had plenty of company in the death camps.

Me Lord.

I was trying to lighten it up just a touch. It seems that people on here have edged far too much toward hatred on both sides...due , no doubt , to Brexit/election.

The 'left' on here seem to me to be far more bitter nasty and hate filled towards the 'right' than the 'right' are back.

The 'right' come out with utter generalised bollox but the 'left' like to be personal in their abuse.

Maybe a touch more moderation of the left on here and the place wouldn't have descended into a name calling bear pit.?

ps..didn't see the post you deleted before you deleted it so I am commenting ( and originally posted ) without the context of that.
You are one of the worst examples of people posting personal abuse on here

Racism is rather a powerful force it seems. We might be able to plug a few holes here and there and for a short time stop words like the ‘N” word, but it quickly bubbles to the surface again elsewhere with other words to demean other cultures and races.

We’ve voted for a culture where this kind of racism and intolerance is encouraged and emboldened. If the polls are correct, by Friday the racists and the intolerant will be in charge and this country will be poorer, nasty, brutish and I fear, no where near short enough.

Racism is rather a powerful force it seems. We might be able to plug a few holes here and there and for a short time stop words like the ‘N” word, but it quickly bubbles to the surface again elsewhere with other words to demean other cultures and races.

We’ve voted for a culture where this kind of racism and intolerance is encouraged and emboldened. If the polls are correct, by Friday the racists and the intolerant will be in charge and this country will be poorer, nasty, brutish and I fear, no where near short enough.
When you say "We've voted for"...?

I think it’s a royal we. The country does seem to be heading in an unpleasant direction, and racism is really rearing it’s ugly head.

Some of the words used here to describe travellers are just as offensive to travellers as some of the words used to describe black People, and for exactly the same reasons in that they are used to express a contempt and an irrational prejudice for a race and culture based on nothing but visceral hatred.

The words used here to describe travellers should be treated in precisely the same way, and receive precisely the same sanction as use of the ‘N’ word, and for precisely the same reason.

I think it’s a royal we. The country does seem to be heading in an unpleasant direction, and racism is really rearing it’s ugly head.

Indeed. I'm not saying that racism was the main reason for everyone that voted for Brexit, but it does seem to be the case for pretty much all of the ones I've spoken to. Oddly enough they seemed to be more racist about African and Indian immigration, rather than from the EU - but seem to think that Brexit will "fix" the non-EU stuff as well.

Racism and bigotry never went away but what has changed is the enablement of these views and the "legitimate" voice provided by a large number of politicians, parties even and the vermin that nurture and feed from it on social media.
Ignorance is rife and it is actively encouraged.

Indeed. I'm not saying that racism was the main reason for everyone that voted for Brexit, but it does seem to be the case for pretty much all of the ones I've spoken to. Oddly enough they seemed to be more racist about African and Indian immigration, rather than from the EU - but seem to think that Brexit will "fix" the non-EU stuff as well.
Stupid c***s, it's fun when that's pointed out to them.

For clarity, I don’t think that everyone who voted Brexit is racist, but it does appear to have loosened what reins we have on those that are racist.

Racist seems to bubble under the surface like a volcano, and when I can’t vent itself one way, will try to find another. Unleashing violence and hatred in order to make capital out of the fear and chaos that ensues has a long, and not very democratic, history

You are one of the worst examples of people posting personal abuse on here

And yet still way way behind all those people you hit the "like" button for.

I am so glad that I annoy you...it brightens my day thinking of you grinding your teeth at my every post. ( because you seem to make it a point to comment on my every post. )

Happy Thursday.

And yet still way way behind all those people you hit the "like" button for.

I am so glad that I annoy you...it brightens my day thinking of you grinding your teeth at my every post. ( because you seem to make it a point to comment on my every post. )

Happy Thursday.
Yes, you do strike me as the sort of person who gets pleasure from being unpleasant online, but actually it’s most usually the rampant hypocrisy of your posts that I comment on

, but actually it’s most usually the rampant hypocrisy of your posts that I comment on

No its not....it's anything that I comment on that you feel you need to pick at.

Not bothered.

I get pleasure from annoying you personally...others I can take or leave....it's nice to have a stalker.:)

No its not....it's anything that I comment on that you feel you need to pick at.

Not bothered.

I get pleasure from annoying you personally...others I can take or leave....it's nice to have a stalker.:)
That’s just not true Joe.

advertisement

Back