advertisement

QUDOS - the brilliant new amplifier boards from Avondale

Yes bought from avondale ready built. Very good build quality.

Had an email this morning from Hermes saying they have my parcel. I hope its my 3 pairs of ready built Qudos boards from Les!

Did you upgrade from the NCC 200 boards? If so what differences did you notice? Thanks

I had NCC200 diy Voyagers which my son now has after I built a pair of NCC220 ( Qudos) Voyagers. Both pairs of Voyagers share the same component parts, the only difference being the actual NCC boards. The listening differences between the two are not that great. The Qudos boards sound faster, the bass is tighter, and they seem better able to hold delicate detail together. A favourite female singer has a sometimes fragile voice and with the old Voyagers when she sang certain songs I often felt her voice would break. It never did of course but I always found it slightly disconcerting. With my Qudos Voyagers all the emotion and fragility is still there but the distraction isn't, like a rough edge has been polished off. None of the excitement is missing, the music just seems that bit easier to follow.

Thank you Chops, that makes sense; if the bass is tighter then the music will sound faster by default. It’s all a law of diminishing returns now but looking forward to getting them.

Do you know the going rate for three pairs of used NCC200 (From my M130s) are now?

A slight digression if I may- has anyone got a good picture of a bare NCC200 board please? Al the ones on 'T internet are Chinese copies.

I was listening to a pair of Mission 761s on the end of my Qudos Voyagers. They were absolutely singing but I noticed a slight hum on the left hand amplifier which I'm going to investigate when I get a moment. What I think we need is a definitive guide to earthing and grounding. My Voyagers have the mains safety earth connected to the casework on its own stud and I have the low voltage side floating. I feel the low voltage side needs connecting to the casework but at one point only and I'm undecided whether to take it from the star earth point or from the input to the amp. I usually make this connection through a 10ohm resistor to put some impedance in any prospective ground loop. What do the rest of you diyers do?

Hi James, his phone was engaged yesterday when I tried. I have to go out this morning but I'll try again when I get home. I'm mindful that Les gets a lot of calls and enquiries so I try not to be too persistent ;)

There's a pic of a late board a few posts back ( I think ) and I'm going to ask Lester to send some pics of his new Qudos boards for inspection:cool:. Apparently those caps and resistors are left out of the latest boards. I'm just wondering what else has changed.

Out of interest, what % difference in TR1/2 are folks using?

Out of curiosity, I phoned Les a few months ago to ask that question as on the schematics there is no longer has the advice about "at least a 10% difference between Tr1 and 2". Les was't around so I spoke to ? Ben who advised me that it didn't matter with the QUDOS

Out of curiosity, I phoned Les a few months ago to ask that question as on the schematics there is no longer has the advice about "at least a 10% difference between Tr1 and 2". Les was't around so I spoke to ? Ben who advised me that it didn't matter with the QUDOS
Thanks, I wonder if my going for something like 10-20% difference is responsible for the slightly high dc offset then

I have something approaching 5% difference James and I have 40mV offset on one channel and 46mV on the other. I didn't think that was too bad tbh.

I never had a chance to ring Les this aft so that's my first task tomorrow. I've a long list of questions now thanks to you lot ;)

Yeah I'm not too bothered by the dc offset, it's perfectly fine, it's just always a personal challenge to see how low you can get it :)

Checked my Qudos a month or so ago

Was 17 on one and 29 on the other
Was a little disappointed so left it to warm up even longer.....and it came down to 12 and 15 offset

So heat seems to play a big part ...at least in mine

My three pairs of Qudos boards arrived this afternoon; extremely well packed with a DVM, thermal paste and preset by Les to "just drop" into my M130s.

I''ll report back after they've been fitted on Saturday - really looking forward to this!

ps - They actually have QUDOS written on the boards too as opposed to NCC220!

advertisement

Back