advertisement

QUDOS - the brilliant new amplifier boards from Avondale

My circuit diagrams only show component values so I can't relate to those id numbers. I'd be interested to know which components those numbers refer to.
Use the diagram that 337alant posted about 10 post back, this diagram has component designations, hope this helps

Hi Alan I see you don't use the RC55 resistors. what is the reason for this choice?

For starters Im not saying one resister sounds better than another!! :rolleyes: The welwyn RC55Y are excellent but I couldn't get them at the time I built these amps so I bought some of Tantalum resisters for any in the signal path, I may have got a little carried away in my application of them but that just my OCD:D !
For the rest of the resisters, I first read about the Dale RN series Resisters in the Linear Audio book Vol 1 where they found them to have one of the lowest overall distortion so I figured if I am going to buy resistors buy one that have been tested and there is only pence between them and other metal films.
The first time I used them was in the paradise phono stage and I just like them :).
The only thing to be aware of is they are physically larger than other similar wattage resistors so they may not fit the hole pitch in your board
Alan

No, not really...
T5 must compensate for the 4 Vbe junctions in the output stage of the 220 - therefore it needs to track their temperatures as closely as possible.

With the quasi output stage there are only 3 Vbes to compensate for (and in both cases the 0.22R emitter resistors add some feedback to the thermal loop as well) so it is sort of fudged by having T5 in the ambient temp of a closed box e.g. in the NAP200 it is fitted under the board so that it tracks the case temp a few inches away from the output devices.

Les just said that T5 needed to be on the heatsink so the output stage didn't run away with itself. I suppose he has to keep it simple for non techs.

The only track that requires cutting is the short track between the collector of TR8 and the base of TR10. The diode across the 100R resistor from the emitter of TR8 should be removed. The base of TR10 now needs a link to the emitter of TR8. The other 100R resistor from the collector of TR8 needs removing and a link putting in its place.
The rest of the conversion is the replacement of six resistors for different values and TR10 will need changing to a MJ15004. It will then need rebiasing of course and checking for offset. I will double check this when I get a moment but I'm pretty sure that's it.

Sincerely, at first I planned the same modification as you suggest but after I saw the Qudos board tracks side thought that it wouldn't be working. So I added the other divertings to get the same Qudos tracks path. I'll be grateful if you will convince me that going back to the first simpler and faster solution the circuit works.

Luca, yes apologies, the output transistor TR10 will now be back to front. There will be one more track to cut I think and one more link but I'm not sure until I sit down and have a proper look.

I had to cut two more tracks and put in two more links :oops: I’ll post a couple of pics after we’ve eaten.

I had to cut two more tracks and put in two more links :oops: I’ll post a couple of pics after we’ve eaten.

Chops54, Ok! I'm willing to find the best way to get a correct-safe conversion hoping to be useful to all the DIYers. :)

Hey, it's only thanks to you that I realised I'd made a mistake. I spent ages studying those two diagrams and I totally missed the emitter-collector reversal of TR10. Right, I'm off to post those pics.

NCC200 to 220.

We agree now! However you have forgotten to link the TR8 collector to the negative input and the TR10 collector.
The track between the negative input and the diode D7 lacks in the board. You have to make a bridge to link those two pads.

Ive linked TR8 collector on the other side of the board. I put a link where the 100R resistor was. TR10 collector link is on the far side of the board. The link for D7 was missing on some board. You have to put your own link in. I usually bend the diode leg over but there's no components in this board.

Ive linked TR8 collector on the other side of the board. I put a link where the 100R resistor was. TR10 collector link is on the far side of the board. The link for D7 was missing on some board. You have to put your own link in. I usually bend the diode leg over but there's no components in this board.

Hi, not having seen the other side of the PCB it seemed to me that something was missing. Well done!

About the transistor BD237, where do you plain to put it and to lay the flying leads? Under or over the boards and under or inside the U heatsink? I have an idea but I'm interested in knowing your method and compare it with mine.

Hi Luca, I was going to run flying leads from the BD237 to the board. It's a bit of a stretch and that 220nf cap might get in the way but I'll have to work on it. I don't like having flying leads on the component side and I'm thinking you may have a better idea?

I've been looking at the mods I've done to this board and thinking how I could do it better. I have another used board to practise on and hopefully I can do it a bit nicer this time.

To get satisfaction, in my works I always looking for absolute tidy and neat solutions. As you, I don't like having flying leads casually passing throught the electronic components. The board is full of parts and the passage through all them is an unaesthetic efforty slalom. So I'm thinking for a solution under the board but this needs a different position for TR5. I'd make a little bigger heatsink to fix the transistor in an alternative point close and between TR9 and TR10. To be clear I have to do a drawing and post it.

Ok, I think this is a bit tidier Luca.

On the component side you can see the link across the 100R resistor that puts the collector of TR8 to the negative rail. I've put D7 in so I could bend over the leg to make the link to the same rail. Collector of T10 goes to the negative rail from its other mounting bolt.This time I took the base of TR10 straight to TR8 emitter. That solder tack halfway down the track is just to hold the link in place. You can see the two holes where D6 used to be ( no longer required) If those links are painted green they will be barely noticeable.

As for the BD237, Im thinking of drilling a hole just to the side of the + sign and bringing the flying leads up through there. Maybe we could put the 220nf cap underneath the board and put hole around there somewhere for the leads to come up?

Thanks for posting those Si. I have a pair of bare 200 boards I was contemplating doing this to at some point so this will make a handy reference.

I've just finished re-housing my 220 into a new case, all the wiring done. If using VBE for front end can someone remind me best way of measuring bias? I was thinking multimeter in +ve line of output stage and add on about 20mA?

NCC 200 conversion: "the heatsink".

I’ve found a pair of solutions to link the TR5 (BD237) transistor to the heat sink.

The first is very easy and need of a bigger heatsink. The Avondale modules have a 35 x 35 mm U profile while I use a 40 x 40. The first advantage is the latter is much easier to find and having a little more surface is a bit more dissipative. It also allows to achieve an 8mm gap between the edge of the board and the core of the aluminum profile which is what we need.

Heatsink LV by Luca B, on Flickr

Along this gap is possible to drill an hole or better mill a slot where the flying leads and the transistor legs can joint togheter. Their isolation by heatsrink sleeves is strongly recommended. I hope the following rendering will help ...

Heatsink3 by Luca B, on Flickr

Heatsink1 by Luca B, on Flickr

Thanks for posting those Si. I have a pair of bare 200 boards I was contemplating doing this to at some point so this will make a handy reference.

I've just finished re-housing my 220 into a new case, all the wiring done. If using VBE for front end can someone remind me best way of measuring bias? I was thinking multimeter in +ve line of output stage and add on about 20mA?

Working NCC200 boards don't seem to fetch a lot atm being overshadowed by the newer, better Qudos. It makes good sense then to mod the old boards.

advertisement

Back