advertisement

Puzzling results with ATC SCM50ASLT loudspeakers vs. previous system

What started as a thread seeking feedback on a user’s experience with some speakers rather quickly degenerated into a mix of ATC detractors mouthing off about something the majority of them likely have little real experience of and a load of gobbledegook. True to form for any audio discussion.

One thing that rings true from the noise in this thread is that most hifi enthusiasts have never experienced what their existing kit is capable of, far easier to chase real or illusory improvements at the margin by buying that cable or component rather than to give any kit an opportunity to reveal its true character. God help anyone looking for signal amongst the noise in this thread.

Seeing as it’s changed to a footwear thread, how do you guys with Church and Loake manage with leather soles?

It may be the way I walk but with Loakes I would eat through soles and ended up getting rubber ones fitted, but even they would go after approx 4 months. I was doing a lot of pavement walking at the time.

And in the rain!! Like walking on an ice rink with leather soles.
Commando soles are the most hard wearing & comfortable, Dainite look a bit smarter but less comfortable. I tend to reserve leather soles for ones that I wear less regularly. The beauty of bench made welted shoes is that you can change the full sole over. I replaced the leather sole on my Chesters with a rubber dainite one.

Commando soles are the most hard wearing & comfortable, Dainite look a bit smarter but less comfortable. I tend to reserve leather soles for ones that I wear less regularly. The beauty of bench made welted shoes is that you can change the full sole over. I replaced the leather sole on my Chesters with a rubber dainite one.
I’ve held back contributing to this thread, until shoes were mentioned.

I have these ATC speakers in my front room, control is a benchmark dac2 used as a DAC and preamp depending on source.

Recently I added a minidsp SHD to sort the Bass out below 60 Hz.

Source is a Rega Saturn and the minidsp acts as a Roon endpoint.

I have paid no attention to cables, but it does sound great.

I have these ATC speakers in my front room, control is a benchmark dac2 used as a DAC and preamp depending on source.

Recently I added a minidsp SHD to sort the Bass out below 60 Hz.

Source is a Rega Saturn and the minidsp acts as a Roon endpoint.

I have paid no attention to cables, but it does sound great.
You are obviously not an experienced audiophile. You probably even listen to music. Stay happy! I am much the same. ATC, DAC, Roon. Birkenstocks or running shoes.

You are obviously not an experienced audiophile. You probably even listen to music. Stay happy! I am much the same. ATC, DAC, Roon. Birkenstocks or running shoes.

Birkenstocks while listening to music, I use any old kettle plug on the ATC’s - one of the 50’s even plugs into a 6 way extension.

But the music sounds wonderful.

How on earth could you know what others are experiencing?
Very simple. Seeing pics and descriptions of setups that are devoid of any room treatment or even considered speaker placement speaks volumes. No need to experience it in person to know it’s compromised.

Last edited:
Birkenstocks while listening to music, I use any old kettle plug on the ATC’s - one of the 50’s even plugs into a 6 way extension.

But the music sounds wonderful.

Nothing wrong in plugging the ATC's to extension, that's how I plug them also.

Spending all effort on enhancements on secondary effects makes no more sense.
Not sure what you mean. If you mean room acoustics I would class that as a primary effect on the perceived outcome. And I'm assuming some high-end gear already in place. I don't expect people with intro-level gear to spend big on acoustics. Not sure what "all effort" means either.

Spending all effort on enhancements on secondary effects makes no more sense.
I think you've made some valid, if somewhat circumlocutory, contributions to this thread, but are you questioning the value of room treatment? I am very happy to experiment with cables, but I would always prioritise optimising room acoustics and speaker positioning, and urge others to do the same.

GIK do a good range of domestically acceptable panels, and whilst this point was made in a rather patronising fashion in another post, I would agree that you are potentially holding back the performance of your system if you don't at least treat the first points of reflection 🙂

Not sure what you mean. If you mean room acoustics I would class that as a primary effect on the perceived outcome. And I'm assuming some high-end gear already in place. I don't expect people with intro-level gear to spend big on acoustics. Not sure what "all effort" means either.
Primary effects are those made by the system, deficiencies never to be corrected after the fact. Secondary effects are those inflicted on that original output and sound. While neither of us would expect* people with entry level systems to spend big on acoustics, people with top notch systems commonly get their superb sound in typical living spaces. Sometimes the finest sound happens in what room people would completely dismiss, unheard. They would be mistaken.

In cases like this classification is an opinion.

*neither of us should expect anything of the world. We should recommend based on experience, thus passing along best practice. Demoting or prohibiting this or that and declaring dissenters lost and insufficient is not that, although it is also not uncommon from a camp of skeptics wrongly claiming science. Instead go thee and hear, sinner.

advertisement

Back