advertisement

Puzzling results with ATC SCM50ASLT loudspeakers vs. previous system

I have zero problem with views. I dislike having intent intentionally reversed or words put in my mouth, as you just did. I just may speak against this, as another commenter said in this thread.

Does that equal liberty violate some norm I don't know about?

Look, there just is a faction of cancel culturists in audio lined up on the "scientific", objectivist, very simplistic side, and over there the deliberative and social ratchets go one way. It's not shocking to identify it as counterproductive and insulting.
There’s also a faction of cancel culturists in audio lined up on the “subjectivist” side,can’t possibly believe something is good dependent on the price,country of origin,mass production,measuring well etc etc.
A lot of them are downright insulting.

Look, there just is a faction of cancel culturists in audio lined up on the "scientific", objectivist, very simplistic side, and over there the deliberative and social ratchets go one way. It's not shocking to identify it as counterproductive and insulting.
TBH that statement is a woke statement, one that appears to be of super sensitivity to anything other than your special opinion. People seem to have lost the ability to consider that others are allowed to have different opinions without feeling insulted about it.

It is a sad world...

Not without a considerably bigger investment than even one of the nicer Earthworks mics. Don’t get me wrong though, it’s just a curiosity about the influence of mic quality on calibration. As it stands i’m very happy with the system.

Why not try an EQ service like Mitch "Mitchco" Barnet's Accurate Sound calibration service?
I intend to, once I finally settle in my own house. I've moved 4 times in 10 years...

https://accuratesound.ca/digital-room-correction-drc-calibration/

This graph should help with frequency response analysis:
Ryh4JM0.jpg

"10 octaves of the frequency spectrum. It also includes the types of instruments that will play in those ranges along with their center frequency, also note the cautionary tones. These are great to know so that you can better comprehend what you’re listening to, especially while engaged in critical listening."

B2lzHhh.jpg

I'd also recommend reading some papers from dr Floyd Toole AES/Harman

these are nicely presented, i am reminded of this video which adds the audible sound effects to each description

After a fairly short period of fruitless box swapping, (I don’t have the money to swap boxes very often) I learned that the room and where I sit to listen has by far the greatest influence on the sound I hear, especially any peaks in the bass which I find most objectionable.

Guided use of REW allowed me to figure out what and why I was hearing what I was. Changing my speakers to something that could effectively excite bass room nodes had brought my room issues into sharp relief, it was easy to see with REW and had saved hours and possibly days of randomly moving things about when all that was required was a change of listening position.

when my partner objected to the proposed room change (tbh I wasn’t keen either) the alternative, the application of targeted Parametric EQ served to sort the resonance.

just my experience, if others get satisfaction from the hands on moving stuff about approach well that’s fine too, it just takes longer and is hard on the back if you own heavy loudspeakers :0)

Nice content but his gaze is a bit disturbing...
Agreed, although he seems much more relaxed in his more recent videos In which he has drifted more into domestic audio and product review. I guess their is a more limited audience for recording technique videos

Maybe, but don't you think that takes the fun out of it a bit? It's a hobby after all :)

You can make it a part of the hobby :cool:

I've spent countless of hours adjusting speakers position, measuring the setup with REW and finetuning the DSP. I have a nasty room mode at ~36hz which is there no matter how much I move the listening position. The amount of bass trapping needed to solve it would be insane so in the end, I had to use DSP. I use a method called Virtual Bass Array and it works great. Much better result than with a simple parametric EQ.

You can make it a part of the hobby :cool:

I've spent countless of hours adjusting speakers position, measuring the setup with REW and finetuning the DSP. I have a nasty room mode at ~36hz which is there no matter how much I move the listening position. The amount of bass trapping needed to solve it would be insane so in the end, I had to use DSP. I use a method called Virtual Bass Array and it works great. Much better result than with a simple parametric EQ.
I think you misunderstood perhaps? Big fan of DSP here! I'd just rather do it myself.

TBH that statement is a woke statement, one that appears to be of super sensitivity to anything other than your special opinion. People seem to have lost the ability to consider that others are allowed to have different opinions without feeling insulted about it.

It is a sad world...
Eh, it's plainly anti-woke. The goal is to get better sound along a proven methodological path, not erect a new belief system to assault it.

It certainly is a sad world, dating back at least 134 posts.

Eh, it's plainly anti-woke. The goal is to get better sound along a proven methodological path, not erect a new belief system to assault it.

It certainly is a sad world, dating back at least 134 posts.
You brought up that you found objectively views and methods insulting, which a usual woke way of dismissing any hope of intelligent, reasoned discussion, where parties bring evidence.

I'm completely open minded and as you have linked back to my post about blind testing, I'm still awaiting that evidence of a blind tested difference to balance the null measured by scientific methods for mains cables...both of those are methodical paths.

And I'm not erecting anything, nevermind a belief system, I'm not that intelligent...that appears to be a delusion. :) and if I could persuade people to follow my belief system I'd be milking money out of them left, right and centre...oh, what did I do there...nevermind... :)

I'm not stopping anyone spending their cash however they want...I can supply my bank account details if they would rather donate to me though.

You brought up that you found objectively views and methods insulting, which a usual woke way of dismissing any hope of intelligent, reasoned discussion, where parties bring evidence.

I'm completely open minded and as you have linked back to my post about blind testing, I'm still awaiting that evidence of a blind tested difference to balance the null measured by scientific methods for mains cables...both of those are methodical paths.

And I'm not erecting anything, nevermind a belief system, I'm not that intelligent...that appears to be a delusion. :) and if I could persuade people to follow my belief system I'd be milking money out of them left, right and centre...oh, what did I do there...nevermind... :)

I'm not stopping anyone spending their cash however they want...I can supply my bank account details if they would rather donate to me though.
And there it is. An absolutely classic example of the problem, almost down to the individual points.

Some confusion about the meaning of ‘woke’ apparent on this thread. If you know what it really means, you can’t use it as an insult, or derogatory term.
It seems the meaning has changed. Or at least, it has two meanings depending on which side of the political fence you've on.

advertisement

Back