advertisement

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital DAC

Do you notice any degradation in SQ compared to the usb input?

Sorry, my optical source is so much more inferior that I didn't try to make any comparison. It's an old Logitech Squeezebox Touch purchased on eBay. The S2 is a big step up in quality from the internal DAC on the Touch, but that's not saying much, and the Touch doesn't do USB output (without installing a hack that would probably be too much trouble to maintain for my intended use) so I can't do a direct comparison.

the Touch doesn't do USB output (without installing a hack that would probably be too much trouble to maintain for my intended use)

The "hack" is actually very straightforward to install. How often do you upgrade the software in the Touch?

The "hack" is actually very straightforward to install. How often do you upgrade the software in the Touch?

The Touch asked to be updated when I first plugged it in, but it may be done now. That device isn't for serious listening though. It is in the basement attached to a simple active speaker box for use by family and guests of all ages, and the edo plug-in plus an external DAC would add a level of complexity that might require my frequent presence and doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Having said that, I am hoping a power supply upgrade will improve the sound of the Touch at least a little bit, as it's really sounding its age. An UpTone UltraCap LPS-1.2 will arrive soon for use with another product, but I will first test the Touch with that to see if a better PSU would be worth it.

@pj.walczak @lonek @Julf @sberry20118

Amir has begun his testing of the Pre Box S2 Digital: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...urements-of-pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital.2370/

I don't doubt his sincerity but I am confused by his results. He hasn't tested all configurations, his results with Distortion Compensation and S/PDIF vs. USB jitter are the opposite of Jussi's / @Miska's, and his results with USB power contradict John's test results as well as what many of us have reported hearing.

Having said that, in general it's a positive review.

Last edited:
@pj.walczak @lonek @Julf @sberry20118

Amir has begun his testing of the Pre Box S2 Digital: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...urements-of-pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital.2370/

I don't doubt his sincerity but I am confused by his results. He hasn't tested all configurations, his results with Distortion Compensation and S/PDIF vs. USB jitter are the opposite of Jussi's / @Miska's, and his results with USB power contradict John's test results as well as what many of us have reported hearing.

Having said that, in general it's a positive review.

Very positive. He's generally pretty tough in his reviews.

Very positive. He's generally pretty tough in his reviews.

Positive is good. But I don't know if I'd call it tough. I've some professional training in testing, test design, and test management. It's not just the small mistakes — for example, Jussi posted over on CA that the S/PDIF vs. USB jitter differences can't be seen because he's not using enough resolution / zooming in — it's also the way he approaches these tests without a clear plan.

A real test plan matrix would list all the possible settings down the left and across the top of a spreadsheet, with all possible combinations checked off where the columns intersect and if relevant. Instead he just turns the unit on and starts playing around. At this point he still isn't even sure what some settings do.

Combine the mistakes with the confusion, and the fact that he gets different test results from everyone else on multiple products may be no accident. You can ask experts like Jussi about the details, but as an engineering manager that's what I see.

Positive is good. But I don't know if I'd call it tough. I've some professional training in testing, test design, and test management. It's not just the small mistakes — for example, Jussi posted over on CA that the S/PDIF vs. USB jitter differences can't be seen because he's not using enough resolution / zooming in — it's also the way he approaches these tests without a clear plan.

A real test plan matrix would list all the possible settings down the left and across the top of a spreadsheet, with all possible combinations checked off where the columns intersect and if relevant. Instead he just turns the unit on and starts playing around. At this point he still isn't even sure what some settings do.

Combine the mistakes with the confusion, and the fact that he gets different test results from everyone else on multiple products may be no accident. You can ask experts like Jussi about the details, but as an engineering manager that's what I see.

Oh yes I agree, I don't know if he's really doing these tests well/correctly - so many things we don't know about the setup and methods and I'm not an expert - but as you say some results with another expert (Jussi of HQ Player) don't match up, so which expert to believe?

Oh yes I agree, I don't know if he's really doing these tests well/correctly - so many things we don't know about the setup and methods and I'm not an expert - but as you say some results with another expert (Jussi of HQ Player) don't match up, so which expert to believe?

As a hiring manager let me just say my definition of an "expert" I would employ includes Jussi. Not just anyone who owns test equipment.

I don't see anything wrong with Pro Ject, except the fact that external power supply don't make any difference, remember that initially in the manual was written that it only use power from the usb source.
Maybe the manual is correct, extenal power is needed only for spidf input.

For those with the expensive and pretty flavour of computers with a fruity name, Pro-Ject have just announced an MacOS Firmware Updater.
No sign of any new firmware yet, but at least you can now update without having to find someone with a real computer ;-)

For those with the expensive and pretty flavour of computers with a fruity name, Pro-Ject have just announced an MacOS Firmware Updater.
No sign of any new firmware yet, but at least you can now update without having to find someone with a real computer ;-)

Hehe fantastic. Where was this announcement?

Hi all,

I would buy a Project Box Digital S2 but the Problem is on the Project Website there is an Information that this Box have Problems under El Capitan. I have a MacPro 2008 with El Capitan installed und Currently i am using a HIFIME UAE23HD USB DAC (ES9018K2M+SA9023) without Problems on Mac and Windows ( Bootcamp ). Is an Update from the Hifime to the Project Box worth it ? Alternatively i can use the SPDIF port in my MacPro to connect to the Project Box.

Did someone have a Mac with El Capitan and can confirm that this Box works with it.

Best Regards

It was an internal mailing list from Pro-Ject to their distributors.
It's on the website now as a .dmg file linked from the product page.
http://www.box-designs.com/main.php?prod=preboxs2digital&cat=default&lang=en

The 2.12 update is back on that page too! That's good. There was no need to take it down while waiting for the minor MQA/OptimalTransient bug to be fixed. That action really soured me on Pro-Ject.

And... the update instructions PDF is corrupted. Sigh. @David W Brown if you're on that mailing list can you let Felix know? I'm tired of working for free.

I don't know if that PDF includes the Mac instructions yet. Most of us never RTFM (F=fine) anyway, but I still have the Windows instructions PDF if anyone needs it.

The 2.12 update is back on that page
But binary is identical as before (FC command).
I'm confused...So why did disappear?

C:\comparicon>FC /B prebox_L3_v212_upgrade1_usb.bin prebox_L3_v212_upgrade1_usb_2.bin
Comparing files prebox_L3_v212_upgrade1_usb.bin and PREBOX_L3_V212_UPGRADE1_USB_2.BIN
FC: no differences encountered

But binary is identical as before (FC command).
I'm confused...So why did disappear?

C:\comparicon>FC /B prebox_L3_v212_upgrade1_usb.bin prebox_L3_v212_upgrade1_usb_2.bin
Comparing files prebox_L3_v212_upgrade1_usb.bin and PREBOX_L3_V212_UPGRADE1_USB_2.BIN
FC: no differences encountered

Because their "tech support department" is a PR/marketing manager. Sigh.

It is the old firmware, but we do need it up there until the MQA/OptimalTransient bug fix is finished.

The only thing new is the Mac updater. And the corrupted instructions PDF. Double sigh.

advertisement

Back