advertisement

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital DAC

I can tell you that the firmware update also works from a virtual Windows 10 installation (using Virtualbox on Linux). Since I don't have a Windows or Mac computer I tried it this way.

You can download the (trial-version) for Windows 10 for free from the Microsoft website.

Thanks for the report @Lucas. That same Mac user was unable to do the update on a virtual Windows install. I'm all Windows and Ubuntu here with VirtualBox installations all over the place, but even one Parallels setup is a lot to expect of Mac users and I'm glad to see Pro-Ject at least trying to support them.

Last edited:
Are you seeing the same thing I'm seeing - device is enabled and works (outputs audio), it's just the FW updater app that can't see the PBS2D ?

Hi David, thanks for sending this feedback to HQ. And yes I saw the same thing you saw - the DAC works fine (audio playback), it's just the MacOS FW updater that isn't seeing the DAC.

It was like a very disappointing Christmas. A parcel turned up at goods in, Oh yes - I've been expecting you.
Lovingly and carefully unwrapped, oooh - shiny !
Plugged in the charger and it sprung into life - Ah nice.
Went through setup - all seemed OK. Apple ID remembered from a long time ago.
Finally got to the desktop and the display flickered a few times - Ah - must be doing an update I thought.
Then the display disappeared and left me with a line of pixels at the top of the screen - Bugger - I hope it's not a duffer !
Rebooted a few times and all I get now is : https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqbhvo6vqigtxo7/2018-02-22 11.00.19.mp4?dl=0
I'm sad now. Going to go and bury my head in a bacon and egg sandwich. Gotta love technology ;-)

It was like a very disappointing Christmas. A parcel turned up at goods in, Oh yes - I've been expecting you.
Lovingly and carefully unwrapped, oooh - shiny !
Plugged in the charger and it sprung into life - Ah nice.
Went through setup - all seemed OK. Apple ID remembered from a long time ago.
Finally got to the desktop and the display flickered a few times - Ah - must be doing an update I thought.
Then the display disappeared and left me with a line of pixels at the top of the screen - Bugger - I hope it's not a duffer !
Rebooted a few times and all I get now is : https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqbhvo6vqigtxo7/2018-02-22 11.00.19.mp4?dl=0
I'm sad now. Going to go and bury my head in a bacon and egg sandwich. Gotta love technology ;-)

Oh dear - that's very disappointing!!

You could try holding down cmd option p and r on boot. The macbook will make the boot noise again - then release the keys.

Heh, it reboots fine, but every time you get to the desktop it does the flickery thing and dies again. I knew there was a reason I've always avoided fruity hardware. My previous job of 20 years working for a large PC OEM probably.....
Guessing driver / hardware related.

Heh, it reboots fine, but every time you get to the desktop it does the flickery thing and dies again. I knew there was a reason I've always avoided fruity hardware. My previous job of 20 years working for a large PC OEM probably.....
Guessing driver / hardware related.

Funny, I had an issue with an Apple refurbished Macbook display too - purchased directly from Apple. Service was of course exemplary (you pay for that) and they get me a replacement unit the very next day (they don't stock refurbed units at the store otherwise they'd be happy to swap then and there).

But a refurbed unit (that's gone through repair AND all the checks) that was DOA was strange.

Torq has posted a fun review of this product over on Super Best Audio Friends [link]. His firmware issues list is missing the post-MQA filter bug. I've messaged him about that and the firmware problems he has listed, including the solution to the unsaved settings issue. I'll watch for a response and let you know.

Torq has posted a fun review of this product over on Super Best Audio Friends [link]. His firmware issues list is missing the post-MQA filter bug. I've messaged him about that and the firmware problems he has listed, including the solution to the unsaved settings issue. I'll watch for a response and let you know.

He has updated his Firmware Issues section with most of the information I gave him.

Overall a nice impression again - his finds match all of our generally positive listening impressions too.

Happy to say it was a false alarm @left channel - no need to break out popcorn for any drama with the little S2 DAC :)

The distortion compensation chatter is causing minor confusion across a few forums. Will be interested to see if it all settles down and a consensus reached in the end.

Hi guys, did you try playing some DSD512 or 768khz PCM audio? I've searched the web for some samples, nothing found. So I tried upsampling with Jriver, but... plying DSD512 is full of "clicking" and 768 PCM is one big distortion. Don´t know if it is S2+ issue or Jriver.
I'm asking just that it is in S2+ specs...
Latest FW and driver.

advertisement

Back