advertisement

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital DAC

I don't see anything wrong with Pro Ject, except the fact that external power supply don't make any difference, remember that initially in the manual was written that it only use power from the usb source.
Maybe the manual is correct, extenal power is needed only for spidf input.

As we've noted, it's generally a positive review. But the external power supply has made a difference in measurements performed by experts, and in subjective listening by others as well.

Re the manual, John has stated here that we should use the supplied PSU for S/PIDF only, and use a linear or battery PSU with USB. But many have heard improvements using the stock PSU while running USB. All or most of us then moved on to third-party power supplies anyway. Because audiophilia. :)

Can you link to ‘jussi’s’ measurements?
The ‘best filter’ measurement is extraordinary if correct.
Keith

He's not trying to do a review, and posts more text than graphs. Those posts are scattered throughout the ComputerAudiophile thread on this product.

He has recommended enabling Distortion Compensation and selecting the Fast Rolloff filter several times, starting with casual comments like this three months ago: https://www.computeraudiophile.com... Over time he has mentioned this often and with more emphatic recommendation, and says his instruments and his ears agree.

Here's his comment on Amir's jitter measurements: https://www.computeraudiophile.com... Two posts down from there he re-posts Amir's Distortion Compensation graphic with a comment. Meanwhile someone on Amir's forum has since directed Amir to Jussi's post and graphs on the jitter topic: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/... Time to break out the popcorn?

I'd be happy to do more digging if necessary, but hope that gets you pointed in the right direction anyway.

Hi all,

I would buy a Project Box Digital S2 but the Problem is on the Project Website there is an Information that this Box have Problems under El Capitan. I have a MacPro 2008 with El Capitan installed und Currently i am using a HIFIME UAE23HD USB DAC (ES9018K2M+SA9023) without Problems on Mac and Windows ( Bootcamp ). Is an Update from the Hifime to the Project Box worth it ? Alternatively i can use the SPDIF port in my MacPro to connect to the Project Box.

Did someone have a Mac with El Capitan and can confirm that this Box works with it.

Best Regards

All their DACs have that problems wtih El Capitan, and a lot of other manufacturers' DACs do too. If you've got a DAC working well with that OS, I would stick with it until you have to replace your entire Mac. But maybe that's just me.

The micro USB power socket has dropped out of my unit and I,'ve not used that connection yet!. I have 2 units and the other one seems fine. It still works ok, but I will need to return it.

It seems that the company was used to supporting relatively straightforward hardware, which they seem to have done a perfectly reasonable job of. They're now having to support a fairly complex software integration product and just don't have the skills to do it.

Meanwhile someone on Amir's forum has since directed Amir to Jussi's post and graphs on the jitter topic: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/... Time to break out the popcorn?

Ha, he makes a good point that the levels of the CA Forum thread measurements (and differences) are all 'down in the weeds', i.e. really low levels. So probably a false alarm - no breaking out of the popcorn. I don't see another Schiit storm happening (fortunately).

Ha, he makes a good point that the levels of the CA Forum thread measurements (and differences) are all 'down in the weeds', i.e. really low levels. So probably a false alarm - no breaking out of the popcorn. I don't see another Schiit storm happening (fortunately).

People have claimed to be able to hear less than that. Down in the weeds indeed.

People have claimed to be able to hear less than that. Down in the weeds indeed.

True. Bit perfect playback for me with this DAC does sound 'different' to DSD512 up-sampled to me.

I do prefer up-sampling to this DAC.

I hear less difference (actually no difference to my crappy ears) between DSD512 up-sampled and PCM 768kHz up-sampled, even though the measurements show some really low level distortion differences.

All the above is only highly subjective observations of course.

It seems that the company was used to supporting relatively straightforward hardware, which they seem to have done a perfectly reasonable job of. They're now having to support a fairly complex software integration product and just don't have the skills to do it.

Sadly I agree. It's been quite frustrating.

On my Mac the DFU Utility does not 'see' the S2:)

I tried and failed testing the MacOS DFU Utility also.

Same problem, the DFU Utility doesn't see the S2 DAC. With no change in cable connection, I rebooted in Windows Bootcamp mode, and the Windows version had no issues seeing the S2.

@David W Brown can you kindly pass on the feedback?

@Einstein and @sberry20118 - Can you jot down quick specs of your hardware and software whilst I go and grab one off the shelf to test myself.
The broken link is fixed for the instructions now from the product page.
(Unfortunately no MAC instructions).

@Einstein and @sberry20118 - Can you jot down quick specs of your hardware and software whilst I go and grab one off the shelf to test myself.
The broken link is fixed for the instructions now from the product page.
(Unfortunately no MAC instructions).

Hi David, Macbook Pro 2017 i7, MacOS 10.13.3 High Sierra (latest and greatest version of MacOS).

This same Macbook running Windows (via Bootcamp) has no issues seeing the S2 DAC and uploading the firmware.

iMac (Retina 5K, i5, late 2014) running Mac OS 10.13.3 (modified for Direct Mode to avoid Apple CoreAudio)

Same iMac running Windows 10 (bootcamp) no issues with S2 and uploading firmware

Are you seeing the same thing I'm seeing - device is enabled and works (outputs audio), it's just the FW updater app that can't see the PBS2D ?

Because their "tech support department" is a PR/marketing manager. Sigh.

It is the old firmware, but we do need it up there until the MQA/OptimalTransient bug fix is finished.

The only thing new is the Mac updater. And the corrupted instructions PDF. Double sigh.

The app doesn't see the DAC plugged in via my Mac and the instructions don't mention MAC! Downright shambles on the part of Pro-ject.

Macbook Pro | High Sierra | 10.13.4

advertisement

Back