advertisement

Pro-Ject Classic or Rega P3??

Thank you all for your help! I have cancelled my Pro-Ject order and purchased the 2M Blue cartridge, which I’m collecting tomorrow :)

Pro-Ject actually list a tonearm bearing adjustment tool among their accessories.

The following 'bearing sets' appear to have been taken down from their accessories page, but are available via authorized dealers.

Debut Tonearm Bearing Set (MPN: 1940 675 126). Note the plastic set screws and fat O-rings.
s-l640.jpg

And, for the RPM Series Tonearm Bearing Set (PART CODE: 1940 675 001 for RPM 5.1, RPM 6.1SB, RPM 9.1X, RPM 9.1X Evolution, RPM 9.2 Evolution, RPM 10.1 Evolution, Xperience Classic,6 Perspex, and Xtension 10) the screws have what appears to be the deluxe Teflon tape treatment as locking mechanism. Not sure if what appears to be an aluminium vertical bearing spindle is intended as upgrade or repair of worn/damaged original.

reeofdddmefitonera.jpg
Indeed, I picked up the tool and it was inexpensive... the fact that it’s needed to keep the bearing tension in check made me raise my brows though.

In case the 2M Blue doesn’t work for you, I’m using a nagaoka MP-200 with my P3 and it sounds lovely. I’ve also owned the 2M Blue and Bronze.

Haven’t the Rega so can’t comment n that. I do own the Classic and have been using it solidly for a couple of years with no problems, paired with the 2m blue and it sounds great. Find it hard to believe a lot of what I’ve read re build quality.

Pro-ject Xtension 10 user here and the build quality is excellent. If it were a small British company building it the price would be astronomical.

As is the build quality of my more modest Pro-ject 2Xperience Classic that's been in heavy rotation for a couple of years with no issues . It sounds rather good too fitted with a Hana EH.

The Project X1 is £699 RRP and got an excellent write-up in HifiNews. Tech specs as measured were very decent, arm in particular looks very nice.

Indeed, I picked up the tool and it was inexpensive... the fact that it’s needed to keep the bearing tension in check made me raise my brows though.

You shouldn't need to keep the bearing tension in check. I've only ever seen them wear after about 4 or 5 years, and to be fair, that's what an adjustable bearing is there for. Bearings will eventually wear, and that's why they are adjustable and replaceable. If the bearing has worn in a shorter period of time then it's been over tightened at some point. You should be very gentle when nipping them up. You can feel play in the bearings, they need to be nipped up so they are a gnat's chuff away from no play. I've seen a few turntables where keen owners have just wound up the bearings until they feel no more play. This is a dark and bad place !!!

Pro-Ject = cobbled together crap IMHO. I had one in for repair once and the issue was that the arm had been glued to the deck... and simply fell off! It was so crude it didn't even have bias adjustment! Probably one of their cheapest models of course but doesn't bode well...

Pro-Ject have never manufactured a turntable where the tonearm was just "glued to the plinth". Even the very entry level 0.5 (my first turntable) featured the two bolt attach method which carries on to today through the entry level and mid range turntables.

A lot of entry level turntables, no matter who makes them, don't feature VTA and Azimuth adjustment, in fact some won't even have tracking force adjustment !

You shouldn't need to keep the bearing tension in check. I've only ever seen them wear after about 4 or 5 years, and to be fair, that's what an adjustable bearing is there for. Bearings will eventually wear, and that's why they are adjustable and replaceable. If the bearing has worn in a shorter period of time then it's been over tightened at some point. You should be very gentle when nipping them up. You can feel play in the bearings, they need to be nipped up so they are a gnat's chuff away from no play. I've seen a few turntables where keen owners have just wound up the bearings until they feel no more play. This is a dark and bad place !!!
Yeah I’m aware of that, these just don’t seem to stay put long term. Once nipped up, they’re smooth on operation, so I don’t think it’s a wear issue.

Pro-Ject have never manufactured a turntable where the tonearm was just "glued to the plinth". Even the very entry level 0.5 (my first turntable) featured the two bolt attach method which carries on to today through the entry level and mid range turntables.

A lot of entry level turntables, no matter who makes them, don't feature VTA and Azimuth adjustment, in fact some won't even have tracking force adjustment !

I've seen it myself and had to re-glue it! There was no other form of fasteners used.

The Classic is classic in looks only; way too much MDF, and it sounds like it. Suggest you keep the Rega and go for the 2M Blue (Silver is just a Red with silver wire, so yes, just a Red).

but the Rega is also a MDF plinth.

Project RPM 9.1X user here. It's a very well made deck, I think it sounds good and looks really nice. I chose it over a Rega something or other (I can't remember which one) because it sounded better and looked so much nicer, with its minimal footprint, and absolutely no MDF! It was however quite a bit more expensive than the Rega, so possibly not a fair comparison. It's probably true that entry level Regas are better than entry level Projects, but I'm not convinced this is true further up the food chain.

I do own the Classic and have been using it solidly for a couple of years with no problems, paired with the 2m blue and it sounds great. Find it hard to believe a lot of what I’ve read re build quality.

We’ve had no issues with the Classic or for that matter with any other Pro-Ject Audio Systems T/T in the four years ago since we’ve had them.

The Classic looks good, works and sounds good.

I've seen it myself and had to re-glue it! There was no other form of fasteners used.

As I mentioned, there is nothing in the range or that has been in the range that relies on a tonearm being glued to the plinth. End of.

Some of the older turntables that used a uni-pivot design tonearm had a dab of hot glue to hold the inner tonearm cables in place, but no tonearms have ever come out of the factory just "glued" in place.

I would imagine you were looking at a TT that had been fettled by "someone else" if you remember this so vividly !

As I mentioned, there is nothing in the range or that has been in the range that relies on a tonearm being glued to the plinth. End of.

Some of the older turntables that used a uni-pivot design tonearm had a dab of hot glue to hold the inner tonearm cables in place, but no tonearms have ever come out of the factory just "glued" in place.

I would imagine you were looking at a TT that had been fettled by "someone else" if you remember this so vividly !
Always good to get manufacturers and distributors on here - it tends to cut through the bias and BS

advertisement

Back