advertisement

Pro-Ject Classic or Rega P3??

The only 'faults' I witnessed in about 15 years of dealing with Project TT's were 2 or 3 of the plug-in PSU's which were easily and cheaply replaceable. There does seem to be a bit of a Rega 'love-in' on some of the forums I read and I suppose a bit of tiresome turntable rivalry is inevitable. FWIW the Project Xtension models are built like tanks - I'm a weedy runner and once made the mistake of trying to lift one!

The only 'faults' I witnessed in about 15 years of dealing with Project TT's were 2 or 3 of the plug-in PSU's which were easily and cheaply replaceable. There does seem to be a bit of a Rega 'love-in' on some of the forums I read and I suppose a bit of tiresome turntable rivalry is inevitable. FWIW the Project Xtension models are built like tanks - I'm a weedy runner and once made the mistake of trying to lift one!

If you want to see unfounded Pro-ject bashing at its finest then have a look at the Steve Hoffman forum or Audiokarma, though the latter tend to knock most turntables less than 40 years old. Much of this type of garbage I suspect comes from posters who have never seen a Pro-ject turntable in the flesh let alone owned one.

As I mentioned, there is nothing in the range or that has been in the range that relies on a tonearm being glued to the plinth. End of.

Some of the older turntables that used a uni-pivot design tonearm had a dab of hot glue to hold the inner tonearm cables in place, but no tonearms have ever come out of the factory just "glued" in place.

I would imagine you were looking at a TT that had been fettled by "someone else" if you remember this so vividly !

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I was able to carefully examine it and there were no bolt holes, screw holes etc and no thread for a large nut around the arm stem. I could see no provision of any sort of fastener beyond the glue.
Maybe it was a model from before Henley were involved or a grey import....

I could fill a page on the shoddy build I've found on ProJect decks but I don't see the point and I just don't care enough. If you want to believe otherwise, I'm happy for you.

My first turntable was a project essential. It was grand. I then got an RP3 and I was a bit underwhelmed. Bought a new improved cart and it sounded good and all but when I got the chance to buy a project xperience x pack (I think it is called) I did exactly that and it is a much better sounding piece of equipment.
Just my opinion.

I could fill a page on the shoddy build I've found on ProJect decks but I don't see the point and I just don't care enough. If you want to believe otherwise, I'm happy for you.

We do care, and are always like to receive feedback from anyone and everyone.

We're only the distributor, but we are in a position to help end users and dealers, and also feedback direct to the factory.

If you can remember any specific cases and models then we're more than happy to feed that back.

Being the service idiot here, I obviously get to work on them on a daily basis. I've never seen anything resembling "Shoddy Build". When you're offering a range that starts at 160 squid, and goes up to 8 grand, then features and materials are going to differ between those two price points.

95% of the reasons we see returns here is end user damage and transport damage by box chuckers. The latter is something we are working them to resolve, the former we can't influence - although everything ships with a Manual !!

I take pride in what I do, as we all do here, "care" is something that is a core value to us.

what could you recommend if I would like to invest 0,5-1k?

That's quite a range... just TT? TT and arm? plus cart?

Thorens TD150 and 160 at bottom end, Manticore Mantra prob a bit more but not really any better, Heybrook TT2, Ariston RD80 and maybe RD11, Logic DM101, various Systemdek models.

If you can remember any specific cases and models then we're more than happy to feed that back.

You're testing my memory now, especially regarding the models, but I do remember several issues clearly.

You mention the starting price of ProJect turntables. One cheaper turntable had an MDF platter and the bearing spindle simply pushed through it. Two pieces. This is a construction method ProJect use on a lot of their decks, not just the cheap ones, and is obviously the cheapest way to make a platter and spindle. Note: All of Regas decks use a seperate sub-platter of either plastic or alloy.

If you accidentally lean on the platter of a Rega turntable it will tilt up off the sub-platter, no damage is done. If you do that on a ProJect it's not so good. I had a lower end deck where the MDF, which is not renowned for its structural integrity, had deformed around the spindle putting a major wobble in the platter. I had to pull out the spindle, glue it back into place and keep it level until the glue set. On a deck with a thicker MDF platter the spindle had bent. As the spindle was quite thin is was not too hard to bend it back into shape.

Another deck had a main bearing which was attached by a flange screwed to the MDF plinth with three small weed screws. Not terrible but the bearing was screwed on from underneath so that it was being pulled away from the MDF with the screws taking all the weight rather than just holding the bearing in place with the flange pressing against the plinth. The bearing screws had burst out of the MDF.

One tonearm tube had pulled out of the bearing boss severing the wires. The tube was only held in by one tiny grub screw. Even when nipped up the tube was able to wobble and twist. I glued it in.

Unipivot arm, top lifted off severing the wires. There was nothing to keep the arm from lifting off and the wires were hardwired instead of attaching to the deck with a plug. Either of which could've prevented the damaged wires.

Tolerances are typically terrible. Counterweight jammed on the stub but the stub falling out of the boss! Vertical bearings literally rattling around in the boss.

I guess you could describe some of these things as 'user damage' but in my opinion the poor design and build leaves the decks vulnerable to damage from very slight mishaps. Things like choosing to screw the bearing on from underneath I find mystifying. I can only think it was to speed up production as it meant there was nothing screwed on from the top. The bearing, feet, arm etc were all screwed on from one side.

I don't know, pure speculation, but I'm really not impressed by the way ProJect build things.

You're testing my memory now, especially regarding the models, but I do remember several issues clearly.

You mention the starting price of ProJect turntables. One cheaper turntable had an MDF platter and the bearing spindle simply pushed through it. Two pieces. This is a construction method ProJect use on a lot of their decks, not just the cheap ones, and is obviously the cheapest way to make a platter and spindle. Note: All of Regas decks use a seperate sub-platter of either plastic or alloy.

If you accidentally lean on the platter of a Rega turntable it will tilt up off the sub-platter, no damage is done. If you do that on a ProJect it's not so good. I had a lower end deck where the MDF, which is not renowned for its structural integrity, had deformed around the spindle putting a major wobble in the platter. I had to pull out the spindle, glue it back into place and keep it level until the glue set. On a deck with a thicker MDF platter the spindle had bent. As the spindle was quite thin is was not too hard to bend it back into shape.

Another deck had a main bearing which was attached by a flange screwed to the MDF plinth with three small weed screws. Not terrible but the bearing was screwed on from underneath so that it was being pulled away from the MDF with the screws taking all the weight rather than just holding the bearing in place with the flange pressing against the plinth. The bearing screws had burst out of the MDF.

One tonearm tube had pulled out of the bearing boss severing the wires. The tube was only held in by one tiny grub screw. Even when nipped up the tube was able to wobble and twist. I glued it in.

Unipivot arm, top lifted off severing the wires. There was nothing to keep the arm from lifting off and the wires were hardwired instead of attaching to the deck with a plug. Either of which could've prevented the damaged wires.

Tolerances are typically terrible. Counterweight jammed on the stub but the stub falling out of the boss! Vertical bearings literally rattling around in the boss.

I guess you could describe some of these things as 'user damage' but in my opinion the poor design and build leaves the decks vulnerable to damage from very slight mishaps. Things like choosing to screw the bearing on from underneath I find mystifying. I can only think it was to speed up production as it meant there was nothing screwed on from the top. The bearing, feet, arm etc were all screwed on from one side.

I don't know, pure speculation, but I'm really not impressed by the way ProJect build things.

All fed back.

I'll try and offer the most likely cause and explanation for some of the points raised, but, it's not an excuse - your feedback is really useful and will help us get messages across.

The pressed bearing in the plinth is used across entry level decks like the Primary, Elemental and Essential. It's been used for years now and has shipped in it's hundred of thousands. It's a proven tech and allows you to hit a price point, and works well. MDF is common with most manufacturers at this price point.

Not sure how you'd manage to bend a spindle - are you supplying people who just sit on them and treat them as a roundabout ? ;-) In all my years here I've never seen a bent spindle, I've seen them dislodged in the platter from someone leaning on them, or transit damage, but you'd need a press with some serious tonnage to bend one. The entry level TT mentioned above use a pressed platter spindle combination, everything above that from Debut Carbon upwards use a seperate sub platter design - like you mention above.

Main bearings are attached from underneath on a lot of entry level turntables, the only time they tend to get damaged is if someone leaves the platter on the plinth during transport, but forgets to add the cardboard spacer that it shipped with, the manual shows to replace this if transporting the TT, but who reads manuals hey !!

Tonearm tube - no excuses - if it's not been damaged in transit, then that's bad, could be an assembly issue, could be caused by a customer trying to set azimuth. Without know the history of the TT then difficult to pin down. I've only ever seen this twice iirc and that was on the older Debut tonearms with the aluminium tube, not the newer carbon tonearms.

Unipivot Arms - Not used for many many years now, but, yup, they are delicate beasts, and the manuals for the TT go to great lengths on how to use and transport them. When someone raises an RMA here we always send a template reply which still includes a specific nod to them https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/cms/content/viewfile?FileId=13&ContentId=78

Counterweights should be removed for transport, if left on then they can break the counterweight support rod. Again - the manuals do state this quite clearly.

Bearings - well, covered that earlier, and to be honest in my 6 years here I've never seen any that were "rattling around". But still I've fed it back to HQ.

I think we have to remember that they do ship a huge amount of turntables. We in our wonderful chosen trade of repair monkeys, we only get to see the bad ones, with any industry that proportion has to taken into context.

No one is perfect (apart from my ex - in her opinion that was - but that's another story for another time).

Like I said I've fed all the info back to HQ and direct to the factory.

Remember - we are here to call on and offer advice and parts (new and reclaimed from older models). The advice is always free !!

If you want to see unfounded Pro-ject bashing at its finest then have a look at the Steve Hoffman forum or Audiokarma, though the latter tend to knock most turntables less than 40 years old. Much of this type of garbage I suspect comes from posters who have never seen a Pro-ject turntable in the flesh let alone owned one.
I have to be honest, my experience of ProJect is really limited to their sub £500 models, I nearly bought an a RPM 6 a few years back which looked/felt/sounded better than their cheaper models... but ended up with an LP12 for not much more money. My most recent experience is whilst looking for a deck for my grandad about a year ago. We did look at sub £500 models from both ProJect and Rega and did feel that the Rega models were better finished (although the finish on a Planar 1 is clearly cheaper than its more expensive stablemates)... ultimately he spent a little more and now has a Planar 3/Neo/Nagaoka MP110.

I have to be honest, my experience of ProJect is really limited to their sub £500 models, I nearly bought an a RPM 6 a few years back which looked/felt/sounded better than their cheaper models... but ended up with an LP12 for not much more money. My most recent experience is whilst looking for a deck for my grandad about a year ago. We did look at sub £500 models from both ProJect and Rega and did feel that the Rega models were better finished (although the finish on a Planar 1 is clearly cheaper than its more expensive stablemates)... ultimately he spent a little more and now has a Planar 3/Neo/Nagaoka MP110.

I know you used to own a Pro-ject table. I was speaking about biased posters on the two forums mentioned in my post. Except for a Rega P3 2000 I used to own, which was poor build quality but sounded fine, I have no experience with other Rega tables so cannot comment how they compare with equivalent Pro-ject models. I see no reason to doubt what you say about Regas having better finish and can only speak about my own Pro-ject 2Xperience, which except for one or two nit picking issues, such as having a plastic motor pulley instead of metal, has very good build and sound quality.

Way off topic I know, but how is your autoimmune condition these days, you have psoriatic arthritis as I recall?

Can you please expand on your thoughts?

Sorry - realised i never responded to this.

Look, I like the Rega P3. It's a fine turntable (although the arm is the high point) and the updates made to it over the last ten years or so have, in my opinion, finally turned it into the turntable that people always seemed to say it was, but that I never thought it was.

However, I reviewed the Pro-Ject Classic a year or so back and usually these things sit in my system for the duration of my time with them before the review, then they're uninstalled to make room for the next item. When Pro-ject summoned it back I was rather surprised to find that I had been using it continuously for nearly six weeks, and the review had been sent in after ten days - it's just that I enjoyed it so much I had no great urge to remove it from the system, so I carried on using it!

Some people may be underwhelmed by the Classic - I'm not. I really like it. As a final thought, I've reviewed loads of Pro-Ject decks over the years, from the RPM1 Genie up to the Xtension 10, and have never experienced any build, QC, hum or assembly issues. They've all worked, and all worked faultlessly.

Rega had QC issues about 10 years ago or so & I have heard some things about Project (mainly pertaining to carbon arm resonating with dimmer switches) but have no first hand knowledge of this. A friend has an entry level project & he is perfectly happy with it.

Rega had QC issues about 10 years ago or so & I have heard some things about Project (mainly pertaining to carbon arm resonating with dimmer switches) but have no first hand knowledge of this. A friend has an entry level project & he is perfectly happy with it.

"mainly pertaining to carbon arm resonating with dimmer switches"

That sounds genuinely fascinating ! Don't suppose you have any links do you ?

"mainly pertaining to carbon arm resonating with dimmer switches"

That sounds genuinely fascinating ! Don't suppose you have any links do you ?
I don't I'm afraid, I have been told of it in person by a credible source. It not a fault as such, a returned item would appear to be in working order.

advertisement

Back