advertisement

Pro-Ject Classic or Rega P3??

Project supply over 50% of all Turntables over £200 globally
vast Market share for any company in any industry

My main criticism when it comes to Pro-Ject is that they don't appear to have a turntable design ethos of their own. Everything they make appears to be from a 'me too' perspective: acrylic platters, yes we can do those; big thick alloy platters with jacked up tonearms(?), sure, we've got them over here. If you watch any of the trade show videos in which the CEO is showing off the goods, he practically screams 'me too' whilst endlessly jumping from product to product.

It is all very impressive, what they manage to turn out; it just doesn't appear to be part of a ideological design path, other than one that fills gaps with goods that mimic others' designs at lower cost.

My main criticism when it comes to Pro-Ject is that they don't appear to have a turntable design ethos of their own. Everything they make appears to be from a 'me too' perspective: acrylic platters, yes we can do those; big thick alloy platters with jacked up tonearms(?), sure, we've got them over here. If you watch any of the trade show videos in which the CEO is showing off the goods, he practically screams 'me too' whilst endlessly jumping from product to product.

It is all very impressive, what they manage to turn out; it just doesn't appear to be part of a design path, other than one that fills gaps with goods that mimic others' designs at lower cost.
Never owned a Project though my nice does. I admire they are one of the main market suppliers of turntables I see them as a competitor to Rega. That might ruffle a few feathers it's just my personal opinion .

It is all very impressive, what they manage to turn out; it just doesn't appear to be part of a ideological design path, other than one that fills gaps with goods that mimic others' designs at lower cost.

I agree that they just throw everything at the wall and see what sticks but I don't see it as a problem. Who cares about ideas, either the deck's work or they don't. And they do.

.. I see them as a competitor to Rega. That might ruffle a few feathers it's just my personal opinion .

Well it shouldn't. They absolutely are a competitor for Rega and that's no bad thing. I reckon Rega's entry level decks were a direct response to ProJect and it's good for buyers to have choices. Rega are a relatively small company so there will be plenty of markets where Rega are either unavailable or expensive so it's good that there are other options.

There was a time when Rega only sold through dealers with no mail order. When the turntable market declined and most other manufacturers folded or moved away from vinyl, there was a need there. Not everyone can get to a Rega dealer and their cheapest turntable was not that cheap. Enter ProJect who would sell you a cheap but musical turntable mail order. It was a good thing and almost certainly helped vinyl to survive.

Rega had to battle with snobbery in the 80’s and 90’s from Naims and Linnies etc.
Build quality wasn’t exactly NASA grade if memory serves.
There was a thread on Q Acoustics speakers recently, very highly rated by people who have actually heard them, not so much by people who haven’t.
I believe that this thread is pretty similar.

Rega had to battle with snobbery in the 80’s and 90’s from Naims and Linnies etc. Build quality wasn’t exactly NASA grade if memory serves.

Rega didn't really compete with Linn or Naim in the eighties. Their best deck was the Planar3/RB300 which was about a quarter of the price of an LP12 with a Basik arm. The fact that it offered such a big chunk of performance for such a low price was remarkable and the 'low' build quality was key to that. Rega spent the money where it mattered, like the arm, but saved it where it was unimportant, like the lid hinges.

[QUOTE I see them as a competitor to Rega.
Rega - £12.95million turnover & 128 employees in 2019
Project - 400 employees Austria. The vast new purpose-built building with a warehouse capable of storing 250,000 turntables

Is that for storing the models that nobody wants?

What's interesting is that ProJect build every single one of its turntables in Czechoslovakia, were it's cheaper. Rega build everything in the UK yet their decks are higher quality that the ProJect ones at the same price! That shouldn't be possible. I don't know why that is but I'm assuming Rega profit margins may be lower and perhaps Rega are just....smarter?

advertisement

Back