advertisement

Pro-Ject Classic or Rega P3??

jjmarriott

Wiim Pro, Supernait, PMC Twenty5 26
Hi guys. I need your help! Visited Richer Sounds today to try and buy a Ortofon 2M Blue for my new (used) Rega P3 that’s arriving today/tomorrow. However, they offered me a Pro-Ject Classic complete with Ortofon 2M Silver for £150 more than I am spending / have spent on the Rega P3 and 2M Blue. I’ve reserved it but wondering which would be best? I have no way of comparing the sonic difference. Can anyone advise whether the additional £150 spend is worthwhile on the Classic with 2M Silver over the P3 with 2M Blue?

Nothing wrong with the 2M Blue. I wouldn't bother with the Red at the asking price, though.

Were I out shopping today, it would be the AT-VM95ML at £149.

I buy and sell turntables for fun. Usually buy faulty or damaged ones and fix them. Rega, all day long.

Rega's entry deck, the P1/RP1, is not the most solidly built thing you've ever seen but as soon as you go above that the decks are very well made. On ProJect entry decks the build quality is shite and when you spend proper money, it's still shite! If you think of the cheapest way to do something, that's almost certainly what ProJect have done.

Plus the Regas sound better so no brainer really. Even the P1 sounds great for the money.

I'd look at one of Audio Technicas new carts. AT carts have always matched Rega turntables very well. Back in the day a Linn K9, which is a metal bodied AT with a nice stylus, was the go to cart for a Planar3/RB300. I actually have an old K9 on my RP10 right now and it works ridiculously well. I prefer it to all of the other carts I've tried, including a 2M Black, 540MkII and a few MC carts. If you buy the cheapest of the new metal bodied ATs you can upgrade the stylus later.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ortofon carts too. It's just a question of context. The VMS 20e MkII is one of my all time favourites, and I like the 2Ms, but I'd have an AT as long as the deck is good enough to tame it. Which your Rega is.

I had a Rega P3 in the past and my upgrades were another Rega with a bigger number (P6 I think) and then went to a Linn Lp12. Knowing I’m picky on turntables, this means the P3 was very good back then so definitely a keeper IMO ! :D

Having owned both Rega and Pro-Ject models, I’d be inclined to go for the Rega. I just think they’re a bit more solidly put together and they’re backed up by a superb after sales service in the unlikely even that you have a problem in the future. Also, if it’s the current P3 you’re getting, it’s a genuinely great sounding bit of kit for the money. You might however, want to fit a VTA shim under the arm for the 2M blue.

I use a P3 bought a year ago and use an ortfofon bronze with it, I would use the extra money and put a psu with it. The p3 is definitely better than the Project I spent time listening to both. You will also need a shim on you Rega deck.

Pro-Ject = cobbled together crap IMHO. I had one in for repair once and the issue was that the arm had been glued to the deck... and simply fell off! It was so crude it didn't even have bias adjustment! Probably one of their cheapest models of course but doesn't bode well...

Pro-Ject = cobbled together crap IMHO. I had one in for repair once and the issue was that the arm had been glued to the deck... and simply fell off! It was so crude it didn't even have bias adjustment! Probably one of their cheapest models of course but doesn't bode well...
Well the current P1 and P2 lack proper bias adjustment too, you can work around it but I was a little surprised by that... they are at least however, well put together for the money. The current P3 is a big step up from the current P1/2 in any case.

The last Pro-Ject deck I had was an Expression 2, it actually sounded decent for the money but a Rega P3 that replaced it was better... I boxed it up for a while, it was pristine when I boxed it. I eventually decided to sell it but upon fitting a new cartridge for sale, the counterweight stub fell off (it had been glued in from new). I did fix it but didn’t really want to sell it on to anyone, close inspection revealed pretty poor design/build, the arm bearings had a free play, I was able to adjust them but they would have needed regular re-tightening. It wasn’t worth a fortune so rather than risking any comebacks or anyone not being happy with it, I gave it to my best mate’s dad... PS, I’ve re-tightened the arm bearings twice for him... he’s happy with it for free.

One other reason I wouldn't buy the ProJect Classic is that it won't hold its value. That's probably why Ritchers are selling it cheap, they're struggling to get rid of them.

It doesn't fit in the marketplace very well. ProJect are a budget turntable company but the Classic is not cheap, but it's not expensive either. It apes the look of higher end decks like the LP12 but it isn't in that class. It's always going to look like it's trying to be something it isn't.

Pro-Ject actually list a tonearm bearing adjustment tool among their accessories.

The following 'bearing sets' appear to have been taken down from their accessories page, but are available via authorized dealers.

Debut Tonearm Bearing Set (MPN: 1940 675 126). Note the plastic set screws and fat O-rings.
s-l640.jpg

And, for the RPM Series Tonearm Bearing Set (PART CODE: 1940 675 001 for RPM 5.1, RPM 6.1SB, RPM 9.1X, RPM 9.1X Evolution, RPM 9.2 Evolution, RPM 10.1 Evolution, Xperience Classic,6 Perspex, and Xtension 10) the screws have what appears to be the deluxe Teflon tape treatment as locking mechanism. Not sure if what appears to be an aluminium vertical bearing spindle is intended as upgrade or repair of worn/damaged original.

reeofdddmefitonera.jpg

ProJect turntables are well shoddy but to be fair, their after sales service is excellent. If you go onto the Henley site you will find a good range of spares at reasonable prices but not only that, if you can't find what you need and contact them they'll try and get the bits for you. They really are very helpful.

advertisement

Back