advertisement

Pressure For Players To Give Interviews

You posted as if you believed post match interviews were a serious risk to players' mental health?

Clearly, it is not. Unless you have many examples of regular ritual humiliations posing as entertainment.

Not at all. I believe that some post match interviews *could* be injurious to health and should not therefore be compulsory.

For that reason I stand with the player that has decided not to do the interview, for whatever her reasons

They play for prize money, sponsors pay that and want some titilation. It's in the contract. She could always play somewhere else if she was unhappy. If you're playing in a grand slam, you must surely be tough. Mental health seems unlikely on that basis, more like she doesn't like journos. Konta gives 'em what for...

The topical issue is a general lack of respect. I think it's absolutely right that bad behaviour and injustice is called out by influencial sports people.

For example, in other news, Kyrie Irving said fans in NBA arenas are treating players "like they are in a human zoo" after a supporter was arrested for throwing a water bottle at the Brooklyn Nets guard on Sunday. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/basketball/57302566

Whether Osaka being asked dumb questions by reporters when she'd rather be in the dressing room falls into such a category, I'm not so sure.

Oh dear. The idea that as long as people are paid vast amounts of money they have no feelings or concerns? She may well not be the only player who feels this way & that the fact that she is taking a stand fr a position of relative power is a good thing.

She has withdrawn from the next tournament, this should please those that are bothered.

On a semi-related note the way female tennis players are objectified is pretty grim to say the least.

Being hacked off after loosing a sporting contest, and being interviewed at that time != mental health problem.

This is a pet peeve of mine. As a society we have become more open, accepting and understanding of true mental health issues, and that is a good thing. But this casual attachment of the tag "mental health problem" to every low moment, every bad day, every inter-personal argument etc. risks devaluing true mental health issues.

There was a news story, about a certain mother of a certain well known tennis player, of whom it was said by a certain German ex-tennis player that he'd be better off distancing himself from his mother during matches.
The mother's comment to the press, on hearing of the the German's comment was that 'It upset me, it effected my mental health for a couple of days."

My reaction to reading that was that every moment of sadness, disappointment etc is now being labelled as 'my poor mental health".
Undermines those with genuine PTSD, anxiety, nervous exhaustion. Those that can barely get themselves going in the morning for fear of facing the day ahead.

I don't like having to fill in my 10 page security clearance form every five years.
I don't like having to apply for vehicle and personal passes every year/five years.
I don't like having to answer questions when things go wrong.
I don't like having to write down every little thing I do to an aircraft, it's pointless.
I could carry on.

And all for a lot less than a racquet swinger gets.

Sod the lot of them, I really couldn't care less.

No, it is EXACTLY her job.

ps. Got any strawberries?
No, it's not. She is a tennis player. That is her job. Obligations are being imposed on her. If she wants to play tennis at the top level she has to accept those impositions. It's wrong.
And do the fans of the sport want to see interviews anyway. The only sport I watch is football, and I've mo interest in what the players have to say immediately they come off the pitch. Let the manager speak, let the players shower and rest.

I don't like having to fill in my 10 page security clearance form every five years.
I don't like having to apply for vehicle and personal passes every year/five years.
I don't like having to answer questions when things go wrong.
I don't like having to write down every little thing I do to an aircraft, it's pointless.
I could carry on.

And all for a lot less than a racquet swinger gets.

Sod the lot of them, I really couldn't care less.
Would you enjoy having a microphone thrust in your face at the end of every working day and being asked to account for why something went wrong?

Would you enjoy having a microphone thrust in your face at the end of every working day and being asked to account for why something went wrong?

You really don’t know me. So I’ll say this: I’d f***ing love it. And they’d have to bleep out most of it.

And I rarely do anything wrong, thankfully.

If I was paid £150k per year, but the downside was media interest in me, yeah, I’d give it a go. If I didn’t like it I’d say no thanks to the money.

I promise I’d be entertaining! Because I’m a right funny c**t when I want to be.

She is a tennis player.

She gets paid to play tennis because people pay to watch tennis as entertainment. If she and her like were not entertaining, she'd get paid squat - the same as the lads down on the courts on my local sports ground.

I still don't understand why women only play 3 games (and often 2). Okay, from a fitness and stamina p.o.v., there may be justification, but if you've progressed to the semi's and finals you've proved your worth, and should play up to the 5 games in these 2 events, just like the men.

Women's semi's and finals is so frequently a dull wash-out and I can't understand anyone wanting to pay to watch what is frequently a 1 hour match.

Re. Osaka, if she felt that strongly, why on Earth did she not take it up with the authorities prior to the tournament rather than suck it 'n' see, incurring a $15K fine (?) and a great deal of controversy. After all, I believe she's a 4 times champion, so hardly a newcomer at 23.

Maybe these rules are anachronistic and need adaptation, and this fiasco will certainly invite discussion and introspection among the tennis fraternity. Who knows, the publicity she has engendered may have been worth the fine and losing the chance of another feather in her cap; there may even have been an element of planning, as I think her actions may be unprecedented.

Isn’t this incident a example of that awful phrase ‘you live in the public you accept the consequences’’
Tell that to the poor girl on love island who committed suicide, or to princess Di’s children,the papers say it’s just good fun, or ‘people have a right to know’.
It’s just another hole in the wall of personal privacy, the ability to go off grid is being reduced, the right to say no or be anonymous is gone. It’s a further erosion of the right to self determination, don’t like press intrusion there must be something wrong with you, so let’s dig some more!
Just another excuse for people’s baser instincts to be pandered to by people out to make a buck out of others suffering.
The only people with privacy are those that can afford it,I know lots about some poor schlep on the front page of yesterday’s tabloid, I know very little about the people who run or own the paper.
The media is insatiable, don’t feed the animals!

For those who think tennis players should be forced to expose their emotions here is a tennis player crying. Enjoy

What I find entertaining about tennis is the game itself, the drama, the highs and lows and of course the sheer skill of the players which most normal people can never hope to match. Same with any sport. Obviously I like to hear top class players comment on games and experiences but I must say this is not always entertaining. Some of Andy Murray’s interviews have been cringeworthy, not because of him usually, he is highly articulate and intelligent, it’s the quality of the interviewer that brings things down, the poor interviewee is left struggling to make sense of the question sometimes.
I imagine the players are expected to give ‘satisfactory’ interviews and ‘proper’ answers and may even be sanctioned if they don’t.
I suspect there are no comparable sanctions against the media so they will try to get away with all sorts of intrusions, probing and rudeness. It’s the fashion and makes things interesting as far as they are concerned.
Maybe the way forward would be to retain the interviews and ban or fine media people overstepping the mark to give a bit more of a level playing field.
Also only journalists of the equivalent calibre in their field should be allowed near elite sportsmen and women, that would weed a few out.
Can’t see it happening though, too difficult and too expensive.

She is an introvert. From the little I know I like her. She has raised a valid concern that deserves a debate. Perhaps there were less confrontational ways to make her stand... maybe not.
Being constantly asked why she is not so good on clay would not be helping her play on clay...
I suspect the interviews put added pressure on certain players but not on others.

For those who think tennis players should be forced to expose their emotions here is a tennis player crying. Enjoy

But...but....this is a fundamental element of playing tennis. I'm off down to the courts today to watch people play then interview them in how they think the game went, what they did wrong and how they could do better.
I'm moving on to my work colleagues next ...I'll grab someone who is possibly underperforming and discuss their output in front of the whole team....I might even invite others to dial in to watch.

I was expecting one or more of the journalists to ask an unpleasant question but they all seemed to ask sensitive and respectful questions.

advertisement

Back