advertisement

Pressure For Players To Give Interviews

It's not their job though is it?

What else is it then?

They are entertainers. they chose to do what they do. Their contracts stipulate being interviewed. If they did not entertain, if they did not please the masses, they'd have no job, or at least be paid peanuts for what they do as there would be no sponsors or takers for the broadcast rights. She wants the money and nothing else but to do part of her job.

She is also currently the world's highest paid woman in sport.

It is NOT sport, it is entertainment, opium for the masses in exactly the same way as anything else on broadcast media (and much besides).

She obviously copes perfectly OK putting herself in front of hundreds of live spectators, potentially humiliating herself, but struggles in front of one moron. If she can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

What else is it then?

They are entertainers. they chose to do what they do. Their contracts stipulate being interviewed. If they did not entertain, if they did not please the masses, they'd have no job, or at least be paid peanuts for what they do as there would be no sponsors or takers for the broadcast rights. She wants the money and nothing else but to do part of her job.

She is also currently the world's highest paid woman in sport.

It is NOT sport, it is entertainment, opium for the masses in exactly the same way as anything else on broadcast media (and much besides).
It's a pinned on extra which fills the coffers of the WTA, which is why they talk about it as "for the benefit of the sport". If you regard sports as entertainment and opium for the masses and include post match interviews as a crucial element then quite frankly sport is wasted on you.

Still not sure how anyone has the right to watch a sportsperson be humiliated on TV? It seems to be a sanitised version of animal baiting to me.

We stopped the physical abuse of animals for entertainment some time ago, but there still seems to be an audience for watching the mental breakdown of a human being.

Still not sure how anyone has the right to watch a sportsperson be humiliated on TV?

Is that not all losers?

As for the Japanese lady's claims, they might JUST be hyperbole? She might even revel in the humiliation of others (her opponents)?

Would an actor, or even a politician, of any stripe, be taken seriously after tantrums like this?

No it does not - it pays her MASSIVE salary. Where do you think that comes from? Fairy godmothers? It comes from TV rights etc.
TV rights shouldn't have to include grilling the players as soon as they walk off the court. TV rights that shouldn't extend to testing the mental robustness of the players - you wouldn't expect players to keep heading heavy wet leather balls any more because they don't have to, so why should they have to take a grilling; it's nothing to do with sport.

Obviously it’s a contractual obligation at the moment but she is clearly unhappy with that and no contract is immutable - unless perhaps you’re in MI5/6. If she wants to take a stand against it good for her. If no-one joins her then clearly the majority don’t want change ( as it will probably mean less money for them). I’m sure they can fight it out given a bit of time.

That’s arse about face Myles.
The tennis authorities should be vetting what can and cannot be asked.
Ferguson did it all the time at OT and any reporter who transgressed was banned.

That’s arse about face Myles.
The tennis authorities should be vetting what can and cannot be asked.
Ferguson did it all the time at OT and any reporter who transgressed was banned.
They have been paid to allow the post game interviews to happen, which most of us agree are inappropriate. I reckon Ferguson would struggle to manage the media of today like he did all those years ago - things have changed. Also, his players could be protected by the management carrying out the interviews and pressers - Osaka can't do that sadly, she has to ride it out because the WTA are getting money for it.

Is that not all losers?

As for the Japanese lady's claims, they might JUST be hyperbole? She might even revel in the humiliation of others (her opponents)?

Would an actor, or even a politician, of any stripe, be taken seriously after tantrums like this?
My argument is not about a Japanese lady’s claims, they might indeed be hyperbole. My question is why do people want to want someone being humiliated on TV.

If we presume for one moment that politicians are being held to account for their failings, which if recent events is anything to go by, is not the case, then that would be a different kettle of fish entirely. A politician actions are, or should be, accountable. A sportsperson failing in their chosen sport does not have to account for their failings.

The purpose of asking probing questions of a politicians failings is accountability

The purpose of asking probing, very personal, questions of a sportspersons failing is ritual humiliation.

Asking a politician personal rather than policy questions does not happen too often.

The personal questions asked of sportsperson are par for the course

Still not sure how anyone has the right to watch a sportsperson be humiliated on TV? It seems to be a sanitised version of animal baiting to me.

We stopped the physical abuse of animals for entertainment some time ago, but there still seems to be an audience for watching the mental breakdown of a human being.
You have heard of boxing? Physical and mental demolition in 15 3 minute rounds or less.

TV rights shouldn't have to include grilling the players as soon as they walk off the court. TV rights that shouldn't extend to testing the mental robustness of the players - you wouldn't expect players to keep heading heavy wet leather balls any more because they don't have to, so why should they have to take a grilling; it's nothing to do with sport.
The terms of their employment are to give post match interviews. I don't know what you mean by grilling but I have never seen anything close. They know that before they enter the competitions and take the cash. If they are so mentally fragile, they should find another profession.

I’ve just hoofed someone off the thread, it really is not acceptable to harass other users claiming they are a returning banned user without any evidence. If you have concerns that’s what the report post button is for.

<moderating>

.... My question is why do people want to want someone being humiliated on TV....
You have said this many times. What evidence do you have that people do want that and how many times has it actually happened?

You have said this many times. What evidence do you have that people do want that and how many times has it actually happened?
This whole section of the thread has been about a tennis player who does not want to go through what she sees as personal humiliation. If you do not think this is happening, I’m not sure what you think this topic is about?

This whole section of the thread has been about a tennis player who does not want to go through what she sees as personal humiliation. If you do not think this is happening, I’m not sure what you think this topic is about?
You posted as if you believed post match interviews were a serious risk to players' mental health?

Clearly, it is not. Unless you have many examples of regular ritual humiliations posing as entertainment.

advertisement

Back