advertisement

Pressure For Players To Give Interviews

It’s easy. Don’t watch people on the telly competing. That way they won’t be judged by millions, and the money will disappear from sport very quickly. All sports people will have great mental health and be able to concentrate their time and effort on something useful instead, and maybe spend time with family and friends, instead of endlessly jetting around the globe, staying in hotels, and missing out on what’s really important.

Yep. I don’t give a hoot about them. Don’t like it, get out. But no, they live the money and adoration.

This is not a question about how much super sports people are paid, or their contracts, it’s about mental health. The media and sports organisations cannot promote mental health on one hand and pressurise sportspeople while they’re in a vulnerable mental state for audience titillation on the other.
Having to answer questions when you lose might be uncomfortable, but a "mental health" issue - I don't think so.

I don't recall her complaining in the past about her contractual obligations when she won.

I would ban post-tennis match interviews if players grunting when serving was also banned. Or maybe a quid pro quo: if you grunt when serving, you have to do the post-match interview, win or lose, but if you don't grunt, you don't have to do the interview.

Less of an issue for football players, as they mostly just grunt anyway.

It's just the way of the world unfortunately. People want to strive to be the best at something, and other people want to make sure they make as much money off them as they can.

I have more sympathy for some sports stars than I do other 'celebrities', they have to work extremely hard, train hard and dedicate most of their life to being the best they can at what they do. It doesn't seem like they all want to garner media attention, or even over expose themselves on social media. The same can't be said for all people in the spotlight.

Having to answer questions when you lose might be uncomfortable, but a "mental health" issue - I don't think so.

I don't recall her complaining in the past about her contractual obligations when she won.
She won the match in question.

Is it just the English speaking media that is nasty in its line of questioning? Maybe she could get around it by learning French or Spanish and only giving interviews in said language.

Crazy...................

Somebody has chosen a job/profession, and refuses to do half of it. Jeez, I wish I could too.

I seem to remember a tennis player breaking down.

Why is watching someone have a breakdown on TV entertaining?

How I’d having a public meltdown not injurious to mental health?

What has not having a meltdown got to do with anything?

Let’s take someone with bipolar, because they’re over the moon on one occasion, that gives us permission to pressurise then on another?

Apologies, I didn't know too much about her. I'd only heard her speak and assumed she was American.
No need for an apology, I was agreeing with you about languages. To be honest I only assume she speaks Japanese as she is referred to as Japanese.

From BBC Sport:

“Grand Slam rules state players can be fined up to $20,000 (£14,160) for failing to meet their media obligations, with the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) saying the players "have a responsibility to their sport and their fans" to speak to the media during competitions.”
Which is of course bollocks. If the WTA weren't earning money from the media element they wouldn't be crowing the same line.

This is not a question about how much super sports people are paid, or their contracts, it’s about mental health. The media and sports organisations cannot promote mental health on one hand and pressurise sportspeople while they’re in a vulnerable mental state for audience titillation on the other.
Absolutely. What does watching a player go through it in front of a load of journalists have to do with the enjoyment of sport?

I seem to remember a tennis player breaking down.

Why is watching someone have a breakdown on TV entertaining?

How I’d having a public meltdown not injurious to mental health?

What has not having a meltdown got to do with anything?

Let’s take someone with bipolar, because they’re over the moon on one occasion, that gives us permission to pressurise then on another?
People get upset all the time - is that a sign of mental health issues?

Osaka is not claiming she has mental health issues, just that she does not like being questioned when she has performed badly.

I must admit the post match interview on court with Andy Murray after he lost his Wimbledon final was traumatic for both the player and the audience. It did however lift him in the eyes of the public from dour Scot to sporting hero in the eyes of many!

People get upset all the time - is that a sign of mental health issues?
It’s a fairly obvious indicator, yes.
Osaka is not claiming she has mental health issues, just that she does not like being questioned when she has performed badly.
Nor would I.

Why is watching her, or anyone, being pressurised after she has lost considered essential entertainment

Crazy...................

Somebody has chosen a job/profession, and refuses to do half of it. Jeez, I wish I could too.
It's not their job though is it? It's something that the WTA have been monetising. It's like telling me that I have to sell fruit as part of my current job - it doesn't have anything to do with my job.

I must add, my sympathy for anyone in the public eye diminishes greatly when they pick and choose when they want media interest. If they court attention to push their views, then they have no right to complain when the media wants to take what's owed in return.

It's pretty tough I imagine. Like David de Gea having to give an interview after missing that pen every time they lose. Footballers are protected by Managers and other players being put up for interview in a team sport.

advertisement

Back