advertisement

President Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget the KKK, the NRA, the brainwashed religious fundamentalists etc etc! As with Brexit not everyone who voted that way is a racist moron, but all the racist morons voted that way. Every last one of them.

jobs.jpg

Some are hicks.
Some are rubes.
Some are deplorable.
Some are just simple farmers, people of the land, the common clay of the American Heartland--you know--morons.

And I assume some are good people.

...and they're gonna need some of this -

images

Seriously, watch the Nugent video.

It's fookin' frightening.

Joe

More seriously: I fully recognize that many Trump voters were just ordinarily good people behaving like ordinary people do, when they FEEL THEIR CULTURE AND RACE ARE UNDER THREAT. 61% of the public has a negative view of Trump, last poll I saw, so a lot of people voted for someone they don't like. What makes people do that? Fear, anger, resentment, stuff like that, that's what.

Spot on, add to that fear of job losses, jobs moving out of the country and political dynasties who promise much and achieve little.

Do we really think that infamous wall will get built? I'm not so sure. Yes, he's a dangerous, authoritarian nutjob, but surely some of those outrageous things he came out with were partly because it got him a lot of media attention? Don't get me wrong, I detest the man, but let's see what happens.

Maybe I'm being naive here, but I suspect his actions as president may not be as extreme as his words when he was a candidate. I can also understand why a lot of disenfranchised Americans voted for him but I suspect a lot of them may end up disappointed. Still, at least there's the option to vote him out after four years, unlike with Brexit here.

Trying to be optimistic here!
Here lies the problem- those voting for him did so because that's what they wanted. You're right to worry about him, but I worry about the mob at his back with the flaming torches. You already have heavily armed white militias patrolling the Mexican border area. I think corpses with holes in them will start turning up.

Don't forget the KKK, the NRA, the brainwashed religious fundamentalists etc etc! As with Brexit not everyone who voted that way is a racist moron, but all the racist morons voted that way. Every last one of them.

That's the real danger.

Trump's economic policies will to a large degree be dictated by market demands.
Much of the protectionism, tearing up of trade agreements and threats to tell the Chinese to go jump, etc, will amount to little because of the economic suicide that would follow. Trump's paymasters and the interests he really represents will reign him in.

No the danger is not so much his legislative program but his mouth.
The xenophobic rhetoric is highly dangerous because at this very moment, far right organisations around the globe are cheering, emboldened by this victory.
This is particularly dangerous in Europe at the moment where far right groups no longer sit in the shadows.

But the election of Trump is a rejection of corporate power (though he actually represents corporate power!), of the excesses of the market economy which has left a trail of economic of social misery among the dominant working class population. The anger is expressing itself on the right in the US, largely because the US has no left wing party - no party of labour. Sanders has been useful in establishing a solid left base, but it's not strong enough take on the right currently and efforts must now be directed at developing this base. It must break from the Democratic party and form a real party of labour.

The cosy left/right of centre political and economic consensus is being challenged like never before around the globe in the developed countries. It has failed and people are now angry. In the UK it explains the rise of UKIP in recent years, and the recent battle for the soul of the Labour Party with its huge increase in membership and shift to the left. Attempts to bring it back to the centre will fail, because that time has passed.

To those who dismiss the radicals on the left with taunts of 'it'll never happen, cos we're just not like that' should now be looking closely at this development in the US, land of the free, land of democracy, land of political continuity and learn from the massive, sudden changes occurring. Because what happens on the right can happen on the left with the correct leadership and programme.

Robert.

With all due respect the USA has no need for a left leaning Labour Party. It's so far removed from its core beliefs it's not true!
Plus they don't want one.

Left wing revolutions are not for everyone!

Much of the protectionism, tearing up of trade agreements and threats to tell the Chinese to go jump, etc, will amount to little because of the economic suicide that would follow. Trump's paymasters and the interests he really represents will reign him in.

Good post Rob, but I'd point out that the UK Tories appear to be driving the UK toward an economic cliff for party political reasons - so why wouldn't Trump and the GOP do the same ?

Also the other things the GOP can achieve are

- Repealing Obamacare (which was pretty crap, but much better than "free-market" medicine where those with pre-existing conditions simply go bankrupt then die).
- Privatize Medicare
- Privatize Social security.

Taken together these three would just about guarantee the eventual bankruptcy of every American with net worth less than a million dollars - such is the extreme price gouging in US healthcare, and the cost of end of life care. In short the middle class would be completely eviscerated in a generation.

So even if the GOP doesn't start a nuclear war or destroy the planet environmentally they can still do some very scary things in the next 4 years.

With all due respect the USA has no need for a left leaning Labour Party. It's so far removed from its core beliefs it's not true!
Plus they don't want one.

Left wing revolutions are not for everyone!

Had Bernie Sanders won the nomination there is a very good chance he'd have beaten Fuhrer Trump as he wasn't tainted by the email thing etc. The right is out of control at present, e.g. take this utter shower of shit about to march on London shortly (Huffington Post). The Tories are not distancing themselves from this scum or the tabloids who inflame their bigotry and xenophobia, in fact they appear to be deliberately fanning the flames as I suspect they know they have lost the centre ground now. It is long gone from view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back