advertisement

Pre/power vs Integrated

This had been an interesting thread for me because I think it is time for me to dispose of black boxes and just go for something less bulky and simpler (Arcam or Audiolab maybe?) Inwas wondering what people would suggest as a reasonable integrated with inbuilt dac and possibly phonostage. Inputs would be from an Innuos Zen Mini and turntable, speakers currently PMC DB1+. Ideas welcome and thanks Guy

using the dac in a primare cd35 ,, its rather good . in fact i am very impressed . the texture and realism in the system is absolutely first class with a pre/power system

So little modern kit has a proper tape-loop, a lot misses a phono stage, and most lacks a balance control.
My little Croft integrated has a phono stage and tape output. No balance control but separate L/R volume controls take care of that.

Though I do sometimes find myself hankering after a proper 1970s Japanese preamp with MM/MC inputs, four different types of mono setting and sweepable tone controls.

This had been an interesting thread for me because I think it is time for me to dispose of black boxes and just go for something less bulky and simpler (Arcam or Audiolab maybe?) Inwas wondering what people would suggest as a reasonable integrated with inbuilt dac and possibly phonostage. Inputs would be from an Innuos Zen Mini and turntable, speakers currently PMC DB1+. Ideas welcome and thanks Guy
if you can find a norma 70b with dac and phonostage that would be good

I recently visited someone who was running mono NAD power amps in bridged mode, into Dunlavy Cantata speakers. These have a 4-ohm impedance, so he realized he was tempting fate. He still felt it sounded really good--far better than many supposedly better amps--but he knew he had to find another amp.

I visited him so he could hear the Neurochrome Modulus-686, and I brought along the Avondale SE200 dual mono and NCC300 monos. (He was running a Prima Luna tube preamp.)
  • We started with the SE200, and I was surprised that it couldn't manage the load. It sounded rather disorganized and "pushed". I had never heard that from the SE200 before.
  • The NCC300 sounded great, controlling the speakers very nicely, with a tantalizing sense of engagement.
  • The Neurochrome had no difficulty powering the speakers, but was short on PRaT and engagement. Details were better though, and distortion was very low.
We went back to the NCC300, and he decided to buy them from me. Lesson learned: You can't predict how an amp will sound until you hook it up to the speaker. ;)

NCC300 is a better amp than SE230 in my experience. The SE230 is not exactly a “straight wire with gain”. But then Nait 1 & 2 are “wonky wires” as well, and many like them!

I am a peasant in this company. I’ve been starting out slowly just to have decent sounds. To my ears anyway. Currently enjoying an Audiolab 7000a and Alchris AR-6 speakers. The 7000a meets your criteria but I have the itch. I will watch feedback to your query with interest.

I am a peasant in this company. I’ve been starting out slowly just to have decent sounds. To my ears anyway. Currently enjoying an Audiolab 7000a and Alchris AR-6 speakers. The 7000a meets your criteria but I have the itch. I will watch feedback to your query with interest.
Interesting because I too had been thinking about the Audiolab 7000A, have looked at some of the suggestions and, though obviously nice, they cost much more than I was hoping to pay.

Without meaning to go too off-topic may I suggest you look for an amp like the bigger Denon integrateds to go with your AR6s (which are what I have)? Great speakers that respond well to power, the results with my PMA2500NE are excellent. This amp took the place of a NCC200 power amp with a Lexicon pre, I far prefer my current set-up.

Without meaning to go too off-topic may I suggest you look for an amp like the bigger Denon integrateds to go with your AR6s (which are what I have)? Great speakers that respond well to power, the results with my PMA2500NE are excellent. This amp took the place of a NCC200 power amp with a Lexicon pre, I far prefer my current set-up.
Interesting because in my case this would be to replace monoblocked NCC200s

Interesting because in my case this would be to replace monoblocked NCC200s

Is that a good deal?

That would be better than a good deal if available, sadly not all the equipment advertised on hyperfi is actually in stock. Where are you based Jubal, if anywhere near Bristol you’d be very welcome to listen to this peasant’s set-up.

That would be better than a good deal if available, sadly not all the equipment advertised on hyperfi is actually in stock. Where are you based Jubal, if anywhere near Bristol you’d be very welcome to listen to this peasant’s set-up.
I’m Manchester. Not convenient but thank you.

I was getting somewhat tired of getting on my knees to turn my Densen B-350s on and off. Their switches are right at the back. I prefer not to leave them on 24/7. I looked at the latest offering from Accuphase lately, the E-4000 to be precise. Then I found out the price, and all of a sudden getting on my hands and knees don't seem too bad.

Is that a good deal?

In my experience you call Hyperfi and they've got no stock - their adverts are hopelessly out of date

In my experience you call Hyperfi and they've got no stock - their adverts are hopelessly out of date
For a bit of balance I’ve bought from them over umpteen years, no issues and were good when I had a faulty unit. Last purchase was a current series Denon 3800H AVR with a good few £hundred off list, has 1 tiny scratch next to a rear HDMI socket, pleasantly surprised how bug free and good it sounds.

They invoice the VAT separate too rather than 2nd hand scheme or whatever it’s called now.

For a bit of balance I’ve bought from them over umpteen years, no issues and were good when I had a faulty unit. Last purchase was a current series Denon 3800H AVR with a good few £hundred off list, has 1 tiny scratch next to a rear HDMI socket, pleasantly surprised how bug free and good it sounds.

They invoice the VAT separate too rather than 2nd hand scheme or whatever it’s called now.
My experience with them has been 50/50. When they offered a Denon DCD2500NE B stock for a ludicrous price I called them and was told they were out of stock. I successfully ordered a PMA600NE for my son & it was sent swiftly and in absolutely perfect condition. It has been faultless ever since, probably three years now. Great price too.

advertisement

Back