advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

"Only the fiction of democracy remains."

"This collective self-delusion masks who we have become — a nation where the citizenry has been stripped of economic and political power and where the brutal militarism we practice overseas is practiced at home."

https://www.salon.com/2022/09/07/can-we-stop-pretending-that-america-is-a-functioning-democracy/
Yes, hard to disagree with Chris Hedges although I do think he is wrong in calling out Biden for this ""Donald Trump and the MAGA Republicans represent an extremism that threatens the very foundations of our Republic." - it's exactly what should have been done a long time ago. His analysis of the democrats is correct but they are currently the only option

It does seem to me that the MAGA faction (both forms: rednecks and political operators) is likely to be triggered by anything that smells unpatriotic. There's little that is more unpatriotic than treason, and in particular providing access to state secrets to those who shouldn't have them is a very tangible example of that, so I'm surprised this hasn't had more effect on Trump's base, but hopeful that it may yet peel away more of the not totally deranged elements of it.
Some may leave the MAGA tent but I think very few - I believe one of the main motivations of the MAGA crowd is upsetting the libs - I think everything else becomes immaterial. Where the GOP might lose votes is from other Republicans who aren't so emotionally wedded to the cult which might, just might be enough to tip the midterms to the Dems but I fear they will just abstain from voting

The MAGA little guys are not so important in this IMO. What's key is that guys like Bill Barr are not only distancing themselves from Trump, but directly contradicting Trump and his legal team. If this ends up at the SCOTUS I would not be the least surprised to see SCOTUS do Trump no favors at all, particularly if there is overwhelming evidence of serious crimes involving national security. I think the republican establishment will throw Trump under the bus at some point.

The MAGA little guys are not so important in this IMO. What's key is that guys like Bill Barr are not only distancing themselves from Trump, but directly contradicting Trump and his legal team. If this ends up at the SCOTUS I would not be the least surprised to see SCOTUS do Trump no favors at all, particularly if there is overwhelming evidence of serious crimes involving national security. I think the republican establishment will throw Trump under the bus at some point.
The sane Republicans have wanted to get rid of Trump since he was voted out of office & started the Big Lie but they are mute as they fear the MAGA base both politically and actually physically.
I think the mid-terms will decide this too

Lincoln sought to defeat the Confederacy, not initially to end slavery, but because "a house divided against itself cannot stand". We can only hope that the house can stand. The old saying was that, when General Motors sneezes, the USA catches cold.. When the USA sneezes, the entire planet catches cold - or worse.

But the Confederacy existed only because the Confederate States thought that Lincoln was going to take their slaves, so they pre-emptively seceded. It was the mere election of Lincoln as President, whose views were known, which set off the round of Declarations of Secession.

The sane Republicans have wanted to get rid of Trump since he was voted out of office & started the Big Lie but they are mute as they fear the MAGA base both politically and actually physically.
I think the mid-terms will decide this too

Jan 7, 2021 - House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy calls for Trump's resignation.
Jan 27, 2021 - House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy flies down to Florida to meet with Trump at Mar-A-Lago to mend fences and discuss 2022 strategies.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/documentary/lies-politics-and-democracy/ (most likely blocked outside US)

But the Confederacy existed only because the Confederate States thought that Lincoln was going to take their slaves, so they pre-emptively seceded. It was the mere election of Lincoln as President, whose views were known, which set off the round of Declarations of Secession.
It wasn't even that, was it? Lincoln came to power on a mildly abolitionist platform ("we should get rid of slavery - one day..."). However, that was too much for the southern states, who had seen the action of violent abolitionists such as John Brown and sensed which way the wind was blowing.

No, can't access that site - are you suggesting that Kevin McCarthy is a "sane" republican?

That's kind of an oxymoron isn't it?

"Sane" is relative, but McCarthy is pretty mainstream GOP, not Tea Party or Freedom Caucus or anything like that.

For anyone in the UK it is worth noting Frontline is available on Youtube here. Very high quality journalism and I’ll certainly be watching the Flynn one. I noticed the trailer earlier though haven’t watched it yet. He is an absolute monster IMO. The very worst type of person and someone who should never be allowed anywhere even remotely close to power. Unquestionably a danger to others.

Jan 7, 2021 - House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy calls for Trump's resignation.
Jan 27, 2021 - House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy flies down to Florida to meet with Trump at Mar-A-Lago to mend fences and discuss 2022 strategies.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/documentary/lies-politics-and-democracy/ (most likely blocked outside US)
Many of these PBS Frontline episodes end up on YouTube. Here is a particularly interesting interview with Robert Costa, chief election and campaign correspondent for CBS News...

It wasn't even that, was it? Lincoln came to power on a mildly abolitionist platform ("we should get rid of slavery - one day..."). However, that was too much for the southern states, who had seen the action of violent abolitionists such as John Brown and sensed which way the wind was blowing.
Yes, southern popular opinion pretty couldn't distinguish Lincoln from John Brown. But the secession was done by the elite who didn't fear immediate emancipation, but feared the blockage of the expansion of the number of slave states, which was indeed Lincoln's platform. They would lose control of the congress someday, they saw.

That's kind of an oxymoron isn't it?

"Sane" is relative, but McCarthy is pretty mainstream GOP, not Tea Party or Freedom Caucus or anything like that.
haha, yes, but like a lot of these career politicians, he only cares about staying in power & does whatever it takes

Many of these PBS Frontline episodes end up on YouTube. Here is a particularly interesting interview with Robert Costa, chief election and campaign correspondent for CBS News...

This is much deeper than what was shown on the two-hour Frontline program last night. If all of the other "Lies, Politics and Democracy" interviews are this thorough, there will be hours of additional must-see information even for people who have already seen the Frontline broadcast. Thanks.

I'm checking Alyssa Farah Griffin and Adam Kinzinger next.

Last edited:
Bannon goes to state court tomorrow to defend his $1M theft from a border wall fund raising effort.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/06/poli...k-surrender-indictment-border-wall/index.html

Interesting back story here. Bannon was facing federal charges for this same offense, but T***p pardoned him a couple of years ago. Prior to this, Bannon would not faced state charges because New York would have considered them double jeopardy. After the T***p pardons, New York changed their law.

advertisement

Back