advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

Right but a lot of the structural problems with the system have been resolved in N.I. and peace reigns since 1998
That is a rational approach to the issue, not some airy-fairy notion of relying on the goodwill of people.
As an example Gerrymandering was addressed in NI thereby preventing the in-built political bias towards Unionists from remaining in power disproportionally.
So you see goodwill can be woven into the fabric of how a society is structured even in somewhere as divisive as N.I.

It will take some generations before the wounds of the past heal enough that the scars are mere blemishes & not longer sore to touch
This is OT, I realise, but, as a Northern Prod sympathetic to Irish reunification, I'd love to think that you're right, but I fear that you might not be. The GFA was a great achievement, but it was largely an exercise in kicking the can down the road, of putting off the hard questions until the scars of which you speak could hopefully heal. As both the UK and Ireland were EU members, the border ceased to have any real relevance, and cross-border trade disappeared into the stratosphere. And then came the idiocy of Brexit, which forced it back on to everyone's consciousness. It has reopened all the old wounds of the past and all the old Unionist battle cries are again to be heard. The potential for real nastiness is again upon poor Norn Iron, and from Unionist/Loyalist groups that make the IRA at its worst look like a Sunday school picnic. And Truss, like Johnson, will no doubt sell the Unionists down the river again. In a way, sinn féin is a motto for the Unionists - I think they think that, when the chips are down, it really is ourselves alone - and that spells trouble.

This is OT, I realise, but, as a Northern Prod sympathetic to Irish reunification, I'd love to think that you're right, but I fear that you might not be. The GFA was a great achievement, but it was largely an exercise in kicking the can down the road, of putting off the hard questions until the scars of which you speak could hopefully heal. As both the UK and Ireland were EU members, the border ceased to have any real relevance, and cross-border trade disappeared into the stratosphere. And then came the idiocy of Brexit, which forced it back on to everyone's consciousness. It has reopened all the old wounds of the past and all the old Unionist battle cries are again to be heard. The potential for real nastiness is again upon poor Norn Iron, and from Unionist/Loyalist groups that make the IRA at its worst look like a Sunday school picnic. And Truss, like Johnson, will no doubt sell the Unionists down the river again. In a way, sinn féin is a motto for the Unionists - I think they think that, when the chips are down, it really is ourselves alone - and that spells trouble.
Thanks, tones, it's always good to hear common sense spoken, especially from someone who is on the ground, so to speak.
Yes, my view about Norn Irn was/is optimistic, maybe even naive but I was trying to draw the comparison between the efforts to solve the N.I. problem with some rational attempts at power-sharing which did stop most of the violence Vs the response to the US situation which when any talk about system change is brought up, the constitution is cited as the immovable object - happens when gun laws are mentioned or electoral college voting system or .....

Right but a lot of the structural problems with the system have been resolved in N.I. and peace reigns since 1998
That is a rational approach to the issue, not some airy-fairy notion of relying on the goodwill of people.

You miss the point that the negotiation of the Northern Ireland devolution and assembly in 1998 required good faith (or goodwill - call it what you like) negotiations between the various parties (UK and Irish governments, the unionists and Sinn Fein). No one of these parties could simply "make it so" without the cooperation of the others.

The current GOP is not amenable to any good faith negotiations, and so there is presently no legal mechanism to update the US constitution short of a coup or declaration of martial law.

In other words, there is a chicken and egg problem. You cannot strengthen the constitution against bad faith actors while those bad faith actors are in power.

It comes down to the eternal problem, the utter impossibility of legislating people into doing what they should do. Too many people adhere only to the eleventh commandment, "thou shalt not get caught doing it".
Disagree. Laws are not useless.

I am ignorant of US law, but it seems absurd that a single politically appointed judge can block an investigation by the DOJ / FBI when matters of national security may be at stake...

Disagree. Laws are not useless.
Never said they were, and I don't think they are, but, as you (I think) said, it requires people who are willing to adhere to them. If that is not there, the only way to make people obey is the iron hand of a police state, like present day Russia, China, North Korea.

I am ignorant of US law, but it seems absurd that a single politically appointed judge can block an investigation by the DOJ / FBI when matters of national security may be at stake...
It is absurd, but it's what happens when someone like Trump gets to appoint judges.

You miss the point that the negotiation of the Northern Ireland devolution and assembly in 1998 required good faith (or goodwill - call it what you like) negotiations between the various parties (UK and Irish governments, the unionists and Sinn Fein). No one of these parties could simply "make it so" without the cooperation of the others.

The current GOP is not amenable to any good faith negotiations, and so there is presently no legal mechanism to update the US constitution short of a coup or declaration of martial law.

In other words, there is a chicken and egg problem. You cannot strengthen the constitution against bad faith actors while those bad faith actors are in power.
I agree, it has been let go too far simply by the mistaken belief that the system will stop bad actors from damaging the nation.

As an example when I spelled out what Seth Abramson predicted/outlined exactly how Trump could hold onto power, the counter argument made by most of the US members here (can't remember who) was that there were too many checks & balances in the US system to allow such a vista - no mention was made of men of goodwill being needed to prevent such.

Well, I would contend that you guys are in this situation precisely because you had this belief that your system is/was exceptional - it's not as can easily be seen

Not doing something about it, just throwing your hands up in the air, because it seems futile, is the recipe for further disaster I hate to say.

Surely, there can be a lot done to limit the rise of the Nazi party that doesn't require the agreement of the GOP?
What about expanding the S.C. / getting rid of the filibuster?
Again, there has to be much more that can be done - I'm not a US expert - just an outside observer using common sense

Theoretically everything is easy. Or as the old saying goes
"In theory the theory is the same as the practice, but in practice it is usually quite different".
The antithesis of that is "It works in practice but does it work in theory?" :)

Or to put it another way - there are always lots of reasons NOT to do something

So who among us is surprised? I completely expected this & bet it is not yet the depths of Trump's treason.
But the world is safe as men of Goodwill will save us all from armageddon, - Sorry, guys - I just had to say that

it's not a Hollywood movie - the good guys will not arrive in time to save the world - I know this is dramatic but is this not something that

You know that you are now viewed by the ICs of other nations as untrustworthy/insecure as far as IC is concerned.
Not because of one bad man,Trump but because your system is broken & they see how easy it is for the next proto-fascist to go even further.

Do you think that the IC communities would be happy hearing that men of goodwill will prevent this & worse from happening in the future?

There are a number of people who knew this - knew Trump had these nuclear secrets - they would have to have signed these secret documents out to him & knew he had them in Mar-a-lago. Maybe these are the whistle-blowers but who knows?

advertisement

Back