advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

As I understand it there are two misdemeanors -- one on falsifying business records and one on using those false records to break NY election laws -- and by combining them you get a much more serious felony charge. However, I do agree that it seems complicated and on that I have a theory!

If you remember originally Trump was being investigated in NY by Cyrus Vance Jr. and he was dragging his feet on an indictment and there were lots of dark mumblings about why that might be. Then Vance chose not to re-run and Alvin Bragg won. This was considered a good thing for bring Trump to justice because Bragg had a history of prosecuting Trump numerous times during his career working in the state attorney general's office. And because Bragg was the first African American to become DA and had run on a platform of holding the powerful to account and stopping the long standing practice of clamping down hard on low level crime. At least that was the story in his campaign.

Except that then Bragg promptly dropped the case against Trump just as indictments seemed imminent and the two hot shot prosecutors who had been running that case resigned in disgust. This was especially mysterious as this case was about fraud and the like from lying about property valuations on insurance policies and looked if not open-and-shut than at least a lot more doable than the current case. Bragg then got a load of grief over this and all the stuff from his campaign where he was attacked from the left of Democratic / New York politics came back up.

So my theory is that he has switched to the more tenuous Stormy Daniels case and it's mangled two misdemeanor framing because he had made a mistake in dropping the previous case. A cynic might also note that in dropping the original Trump case there was lots of talk of this making Bragg a one term NY DA.

Makes a lot of sense. I was surprised when the original case was dropped, and surprised again when the hush money case went forward.

My gut says T***p will claim he wrote the hush money check to save his wife and him from embarrassment only, and it had nothing to do with the campaign. I doubt they’ll be able to prove the felony linkage, and he’ll only be convicted of filing false legal expenses. I can already hear his spawn crying out about the “nothing burger”.

But hey, maybe my prediction here will be about as accurate as my Super Bowl prediction. I sure hope so!

I don't know if I'm being too pessimistic, but the lack of apparent action on indictments over the Georgia grand jury investigation is worrying. I think the Stormy Daniels case could play to Trump's advantage at the opinion polls because from the outside it looks like a story from National Enquirer. Attempting to overturn election results, on the other hand, is much more serious - there's really no positive spin that the Trump team could put on the Georgia election meddling.

I don't know if I'm being too pessimistic, but the lack of apparent action on indictments over the Georgia grand jury investigation is worrying. I think the Stormy Daniels case could play to Trump's advantage at the opinion polls because from the outside it looks like a story from National Enquirer. Attempting to overturn election results, on the other hand, is much more serious - there's really no positive spin that the Trump team could put on the Georgia election meddling.

Yes "imminent" obviously loses something in translation across the pond.

or maybe it really does mean imminent. Indictment coming next week?

That's NY. Georgia first used the word back before the end of last year, it's gone quiet there since. Security wise, NY makes more sense as a location but the Georgia investigation is into far more egregious offences imo.

Trump himself says the NY indictment will happen Tuesday. He's notifying supporters to come out and protest and 'take their country back.'

So, another fascist/white supremacist mob riot on Tuesday. I wonder if anyone will turn up? CPAC, which is largely the same demographic these days, seems very sparsely populated.

Sniveling sycophant Kevin McCarthy provides aid and comfort to his treasonous, soon to be indicted mob boss. Sickening stuff, but so utterly predictable from this weak willed hypocrite.

Interesting to see him digging in so hard when defending fraud, gerrymandering, and a violent coup attempt. One would hope such a position would have legal consequences down the road. Whatever happens he’s up to his neck in it.

Interesting to see him digging in so hard when defending fraud, gerrymandering, and a violent coup attempt. One would hope such a position would have legal consequences down the road. Whatever happens he’s up to his neck in it.

It’s not only stupid, it’s an overreach. It’s a state-level prosecution, little or nothing to do with the federal government.

The best McCarthy can do is to try and stop any federal money going to the Manhattan DA’s office (if there is any) and, of course, incite more right wing violence to try and please his lord and master.

Yes, I think this one is comparatively uninteresting. Whatever comes down the pipe from the Mar-A-Largo documents, gerrymandering and Jan 6th stuff is where the real fun starts. Hopefully it won’t be too long now.

advertisement

Back